Setting initial values and other questions

Discussion, issues, recommendations around Meteohub's dashboard and WD Live integration

Moderator: Mattk

Heuer
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Setting initial values and other questions

Post by Heuer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:19 pm

I currently use a Davis VP with USB data logger to feed Weather Display and Weather Display Live. Having bought a Sheevaplug Meteo I intend to use Meteohub to drive WDL and I have been experimenting with it.

Everything works fine but I have some questions/issues:

1. Is there any way I can set an initial rain value? Currently the annual rainfall is showing 12.5" for the year so far on WDL but when I start Meteohub it starts WDL with a rainfall of zero.

2. Alternatively can I append the Meteohub clientdraw to the existing Weather Display created clientdraw? i.e. continue on from where I am at the moment.

3. What happens at year end? Currently WD resets everything to zero on 1st January so how can I do this with Meteohub.

4. Is there any way I can prevent Meteohub deleting data in the VP Data logger after it has read it? It currently seems to read and immediately delete all history.

Many thanks for a great product by the way!

David

d_l
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Setting initial values and other questions

Post by d_l » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:30 pm

4. Is there any way I can prevent Meteohub deleting data in the VP Data logger after it has read it? It currently seems to read and immediately delete all history.
Meteohub just reads current data from a VP2 logger using LOOPs. It doesn't affect the archival data in the logger. That said if you are periodically using WL to download archival data from the logger, you might have an occasional conflict with the Meteohub LOOPs and the WL downloads which will cause a WL crash. This applies to WeatherLinkIP versions. I don't know if the serial or USB versions have the same conflicts.

Heuer
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Heuer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:47 pm

Not my experience. Here is a graph I captured yesterday:

You will see that around 10:00 I swapped the Davis logger connection out of WD and replaced it with Meteohub. Meteohub updated WDL perfectly so I was happy with the result of that test. I reconnected the Davis Data Logger to WD and it downloaded all missing data amassed whilst I was testing but the period Meteohub was connected flat lined i.e. no data. So it seems Meteohub did something to the Davis Data Logger whilst it was connected. As soon as it was disconnected the logger started retaining data again.

Any thoughts?

David

d_l
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by d_l » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:00 pm

I don't use WD so I don't know how it operates, but as a guess if it collects data using LOOPs, then there wouldn't be any data collected while it was disconnected. This guess that I've made means that the archived data is still stored on your logger for WeatherLink or any other software that reads out the archived data.

There is a WD export function in Meteohub that might be used to transfer missing data to WD. It isn't an automatic function and has to be done manually.

Heuer
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Heuer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. Taking up your idea I decided to do a WeatherLink download from the logger and all the data is indeed there. Must have been a problem with WD.

So three questions left:

1. Is there any way I can set an initial rain value? Currently the annual rainfall is showing 13.5" for the year so far on WDL but when I start Meteohub it starts WDL with a rainfall of zero.

2. Alternatively can I append the Meteohub clientdraw to the existing Weather Display created clientdraw? i.e. continue on from where I am at the moment.

3. What happens at year end? Currently WD resets everything to zero on 1st January so how can I do this with Meteohub. i.e I want to show annual rainfall Jan - Dec.

This is my WDL site, currently updating via WeatherDisplay: http://www.q-max.demon.co.uk/ but shortly from Meteohub.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:43 am

1) You can use a offset for rain total by meteohub sensor calibration
3) Meteohub does not do a reset, but you can do that manually. Meteohub will notice that and will handle values correctly.

Heuer
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Heuer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:31 pm

I am still unable to get Meteohub to accept the rainfall year to date. I have tried setting it as an offset - 457mm but it is still not showing in WDL:

What am I doing wrong or have I missed something?

David

Edit: Just tried putting an offset in for barometric pressure and that worked immediately in WDL. Is this a bug?

Heuer
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:12 pm

Bump!

Boris - any thoughts?

David

phepner
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder