Meteohub v5.0 under VMware Player having cp2101 problems

Moderator: Mattk

goombah
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Meteohub v5.0 under VMware Player having cp2101 problems

Post by goombah » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:03 am

Hi all -

I use to run Meteohub on a Raspberry Pi, but got tired of having the SDRam chips get corrupted. Several months ago I switched to running on a PC that was up anyhow, via the VMware Workstation 12 Player environment.

One minor problem is that the keyboard doesn't map correctly when logging in via the VMware console, things like - and / are not on the keys they belong on. Simple fix: Login in through a putty windows - that works fine.

My major problem is:

This was working prior to a reboot this afternoon, although it sometimes takes a couple to come up. Now at the 2 hour mark of trying to get my system back online.

In the VM, I'm running: Linux meteohub 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-486 #1 Thu Feb 25 05:19:29 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux per the VM Player install image.
The VM is running on a beefy Windows 10 system (not my choice, I'd prefer Windows 7, but MS rather forced the issue on this box (a long and painful story)).

Is there a fix for this so I can just run cleanly without fear every time I reboot?

goombah
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Meteohub v5.0 under VMware Player having cp2101 problems

Post by goombah » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:21 am

For what its worth, I downloaded the current driver for Windows 10 from here: https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Docume ... rivers.zip

Upon running the installation program, the station immediately came online. I don't know if that is because the driver was actually newer, or that reinstalling just tickled it enough to have it wake up...

astrodanco
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Meteohub v5.0 under VMware Player having cp2101 problems

Post by astrodanco » Sun May 08, 2016 7:02 pm

I had these same problems, it was unreliable and annoying, so I switched from the Davis USB data logger to the Davis serial data logger and an FTDI based USB to serial dongle. Blessed relief! FTDI just seem to do it better.