Successfull installation of Meteohub on a HP T5700 Thin Clie

Moderator: Mattk

thoms
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Successfull installation of Meteohub on a HP T5700 Thin Clie

Post by thoms » Wed May 13, 2009 1:08 am

Hello,

I managed to setup a meteohub server on a HP T5700 Thinclient. It is originally designed to run Windows XP Embbed, but it can make fair cheap and low end server. I get mine from my company for free, but Thin Clients can be found at very low prices (ebay for example).

Hardware :
CPU :Transmeta(tm) Crusoe(tm) Processor TM5800 @ 1GHz
RAM : 512MB (max., usually 256MB ).
Storage : 512 MB DOM (Disc On Module) on a 44 pin IDE
I/O :
4x USB 1.1 port
1 Ethernet
1 COM port
1 Parallel port
1 VGA
Sound Output
Mic. input

The BIOS can be setup to :
- boot after a power failure.
- boot without any keyboard or screen

Here is the steps I followed to achieve the installation:

hardware installation :
The HP T5700 has a IDE 44 pins connector on which is connected a flash memory module (DOM). The DOM is too small (512MB ) for Meteohub. I had to find another solution. The IDE connector can be used to connect a 2,5" hard drive or a Compactflash adapter for example.

I first searched for Compactflash based storage solution, to avoid moving parts and minimize power consumption. To get satisfying solution, it necessary to use a fixed (also called industrial) type of CF card. These cards are very expensive and hard to find.

I finally found a old laptop IDE hard drive of 40 GB which will do the job for nothing. The tricky thing was to find a 44 pins IDE cable. I found it at ebay from an English seller for about 5 euros including shipping to France : http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0383593396

The small size of the box makes it difficult to install a hard drive internally. Googling about the T5700 I found this page http://www.mgraves.org/voip/2009/01/how ... p-t5700/2/ where I learned that there is a chassis expansion for it. The expansion makes it possible to attach the hard drive inside the box. It also comes with a PCI riser card. this will allow you to add a PCI card (a wireless card for example). I found this expansion at Amazon.fr http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00022598Y for about 40 euros.

Software installation :
The reference documentation of Meteohub is here : http://www.meteohub.de/joomla/index.php ... &Itemid=29

Booting a Debian iso
I had hard times trying to make a bootable USB key with a Debian Etchnhalf 4.0.8 Netinstall. It did not manage to find a suitable boot.img for the iso image. I was getting messages about incompatibility between kernel version and the distro version in the iso file. I ended up by burning a CD and grabbing a USB-CD to load the system.

After that I followed the Meteohub setup guide. Once the setup script has done its jobs, I applied the latest meteohub update and the demo version became active.

Everything seems to work fine. I have to wait to go to the seaside where my weather station is to be sure everything is OK (and finally purchase my meteohub license).

uhf
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re:Successfull installation of Meteohub on a HP T5700 Thin C

Post by uhf » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:25 am

I also setup meteohub on a T5700. I used an IDE to CF adapter and an off the shelf CF card I bought at Walmart. Drilled a couple holes in the sheet metal cover and mounted the CF adapter with some #2 machine screws.

So far everything is working great. I do plan to get a better CF card at some point, but until I knew everything was going to work fine I wanted to keep my investment low.

HeinrichH
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by HeinrichH » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:56 pm

uhf wrote:I used an IDE to CF adapter and an off the shelf CF card I bought at Walmart.
What type of IDE to CF adapter you used?
Checking the remote....

uhf
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by uhf » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:03 pm

What type of IDE to CF adapter you used?
It was a no-name one that I picked up on ebay.