vmplayer 3 installing vmware tools?

Moderator: Mattk

gm4jjj
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

vmplayer 3 installing vmware tools?

Post by gm4jjj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:02 pm

I am preparing an Asus Eee PC 701 for use with Meteohub. I have Ubuntu 9.1 running from an external USB Hard Drive and have Meteohub 4.6 running inside a vmplayer vm.

I want to install the vmtools to give me control over things like syncing the time between the Ubuntu Host and the vm guest. I read that NTP running inside the vm is not ideal. I notice that it syncs and then unsyncs quite a lot with several time steps, it would be better if NTP on the host was used to sync the guest and for that I understand I need vmtools installed.

I do not appear to be able to see the CDROM with the vmtools on it. The help for vmplayer implies that it should mount automatically.

I hope that someone here has perhaps done this before and can assist.

Many thanks

David

gm4jjj
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re:vmplayer 3 installing vmware tools?

Post by gm4jjj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Well, I have got past the problem of mounting the CDROM and am trying to install the tools but I have run into another problem, there is insufficient space to install in /usr/lib/vmware-tools I need another 190532K. There must be somewhere else that I can install the tools, for example on to the other partition that Meteohub must use for storing the logs etc, but what is the path to that?

gm4jjj
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by gm4jjj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Well, I found it - /data, however next problem is that vmware-config-tools.pl needs to compile modules and needs gcc and kernel headers of the running kernel which I don't appear to have. Any idea where I can download the C Header files for the kernel?

gm4jjj
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by gm4jjj » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm

OK I used apt-get to install build-essential linux-headers, but it says I already have the newest version. But what is the path to it, that is the question???

jamar
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jamar » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:42 am

Hi,

headers for your running kernel should be installed by this command:
apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Then you can find kernel headers in:
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.XX-X-kirkwood/
wehere X depends on the kernel version.
Command 'uname -r' will print version of the kernel you're currently running.

gm4jjj
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by gm4jjj » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks very much for that.

I have reverted to a fresh meteohub install as I had got in a terrible mess with the attempts to get VMtools installed. I have now managed to get time syncing reasonably with NTP after playing about with some other suggestions, rather than using VMtools to sync the guest from the host.

Weather station is now on test with Meteohub running on the Eee PC.