Open Weather Map API

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

colmeteo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Open Weather Map API

Post by colmeteo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Open Weather Map provides accurate weather conditions for my region. I see they have a new API in place to send them the station info. With the old POST method, I do not see my station listed, nor can I retrieve information from it. Is there a chance to update the upload to use there API: http://openweathermap.org/stations

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Open Weather Map API

Post by admin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:08 pm

So far I don't see much potential in this network focusing at selling weather data. Supporting anything from them is not high on my agenda.

colmeteo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by colmeteo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:28 am

Understood Boris. Just out of curiosity, why the strong feelings toward OWM when they offer free access to the API with little limitation? I see WU has more restrictions on how to use the info they provide (i.e. logo guidelines) and also have commercial packages.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 pm

While WU has always been supportive to developers building upload software, OWM has never been. They focus 100% on their business model of selling weather data and care zero on the upload side. Their API that does not provide any interactive way to register a new station but forces the upload program registering the station with those JSON quirks, does clearly state how less they care about being easy to work with. I recommend not to deal with those, they will change their APIs often without taking care about anything - apart from their data selling business.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:00 am

But if you want to use their service, you can register your station manually by sending that JSON register data to them. You will get a station ID and then you can configure Meteobridge to send HTTP packets in the needed format by means of a template hosted on your web site. This should work and you can then adapt to whatever idea they will come up in the future.

colmeteo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by colmeteo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks for the clarification. I will look into using another provide.