New Rules for Updates past Version 3.2

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

New Rules for Updates past Version 3.2

Post by admin » Wed May 03, 2017 12:48 am

Dear Meteobridge Users!
First of all I want to say a big thanks for your support and how well you accepted
this solution when we started beginning of 2013 with offering Meteobridge as
an embedded weather server running on minimal and cheap hardware also easy to get.

In the meanwhile we have quite some thousand Meteobridge installations around
the world and are still expanding our reach. Having such a big user-base is
a great thing as it helps us to develop new features by seeing your comments
and wishes and it also helps to find bugs in short time. I hope you are also
satisfied how stable the Meteobridges are and how many features they offer.

Downside of this success is that we are facing a growing demand on support
and doing this gets into conflict with speed of development of additional
features, which we are still keen on. To keep both interests in a healthy balance,
we need to invest more time into the project which needs additional funding.
So far just the new sold licenses did cover our development and support efforts.
In the future licenses will still be of unlimited life-time, but update service
will be limited to two years after having applied/purchased the license.

By that you will get two years the latest and greatest updates for free,
but after two years the version you can use is stuck at that point.
If you are interested to still receive the newest versions, you will need
to purchase another two years of update support for 19 Euros, which can be
easily done by a few PayPal clicks. These rules will apply for versions past 3.2
so no-one will ever fall back behind 3.2, the current version while writing this.

I am aware that you might not like not to have a lifetime update support for
free, but in the long run we cannot stand this and I assume you are also interested
to have this project on solid ground and continuously going forward.

P.S.: Meteobridge PROs are not affected by the new rules, they are so far not
limited on update support.

UrbanPoser
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: New Rules for Updates past Version 3.2

Post by UrbanPoser » Tue May 09, 2017 4:52 am

I'm trying to renew my meteobridge update license, but am getting the following error once I fill out the paypal information:

Software error:

Please contact "license@meteobridge.com". Unable to execute INSERT (2) query: called with 14 bind variables when 13 are needed
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@meteobridge.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Can you look into this? How else can I get a license update key?

Thanks
UP

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Tue May 09, 2017 7:55 am

Thanks for reporting this server bug. It should be fixed by now. Please try again.

UrbanPoser
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by UrbanPoser » Tue May 09, 2017 1:30 pm

I just tried again and am getting the same error:

Software error:

Please contact "license@meteobridge.com". Unable to execute INSERT (2) query: called with 14 bind variables when 13 are needed
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@meteobridge.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

could your check again please?

thanks,
UP

WSParkstad
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by WSParkstad » Tue May 09, 2017 3:11 pm

I have the same error.....?

Is this only for meteobridge....?
I have meteobridge and meteohub en meteoplug.

I will pay :lol:

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Wed May 10, 2017 2:12 am

Sorry for the hickups. I just tested myself and it works now. Could you please try again?

UrbanPoser
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by UrbanPoser » Wed May 10, 2017 2:30 am

Works now. Thank you/Danke!

WSParkstad
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by WSParkstad » Thu May 11, 2017 12:18 am

Yup, its working, thanks.

jachym
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jachym » Thu May 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Boris,
as much as I like your product and like you as a person, I really disagree with this. I also think it is not fair.

I have always recommended your product to anyone who asked, I got at least 15 new users to you and always thought MB was - and is - a great product.

I understand your financial problems, Im in a similar situation, I do not plan going the way you did, but ok. I understand. However - I would agree with support and new features for extra cash. However, what I cannot agree with is the fact you are not even going to fix bugs to older users. This just isnt fair.

My opinion is that you should make sure that whatever was available when I bought it, is functional. If some station firmware or service api change makes whatever features non-functional, a bug fix should be available to all who purchased and used this, regardless of whether they paid for the extra support.

For example, in the worst scenario, a firmware update can cause MB no longer communicating with my station and then what. Then unless I pay, MB is useless.

70 euros is a reasonable price for the product, it is not low, but it is I think what it is worth. However only as long as it works.

I understand that not all these bug fixes are your fault. Sometimes it is because of a change in extrenal api or firmware, however - this is something you had to anticipate when you designed Meteobridge. Meteobridge relies on these services, without stations and without services, there would be no Meteobridge. But in such case you have to understand this can happen and people should get what they paid for. They dont need to get new features (for which technically speaking they didnt pay), but if I paid for a device which gets data from my station and sends data to X, Y and Z, then this is what it should be doing.

Just yesterday we talked about a change in the Meteotemplate feature of MB so I guess thats no longer relevant to older users unless they pay and what if for some reason I need to make a change in the api... again, those people that I recommended MB to and need it to support Meteotemplate, will be in a position where the device is not doing what it should. And my template of course is just an example.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri May 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi Jachym, thanks for your feedback.

I am convinced that the solution provided here is fair, as users don't just get what they pay for when purchasing a license,
but they also get 2 years of free update support. So any bugs that might be in the SW at the time of their purchase
will most likely be fixed within the 2 years.

Separating between "new features" and "technical adaptions" and to backport some code into older versions to make
it also available to the user base that is out of update service is imho practically not feasible and will even raise
efforts on my side coping with non-productive work.

Meteotemplate support is operational in 3.2 and even when you change API, users will be able to
handle that via generic HTTP uploads on 3.2 or older versions. So I don't really see a true issue in your particular case.

Claiming that only fair practice is to provide a free life-time "fit for the purpose" support might be a nice idea on
the wish list, but this is something you will get nowhere in SW land, for a good reason. So please keep expectations
at a realistic level ;-) Additional development efforts need financial coverage in order to be sustainable, I think
there is no way around this.

doncurtis
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by doncurtis » Sun May 14, 2017 5:19 am

Boris,

I purchased meteobridge software in January of this year, 2017. Based on that, I presume that in January of 2019 I will no longer receive updates. I understand your reasoning and even though most of your updates are for meteobridge PRO (and those users have no 2 year update restrictions) I can accept that if you would make 1 major feature available for us lowly meteobride only users.

User Definable parameters for upload.

We've discussed this before. In particular, barometric fields. The values being sent, for high altitude stations do not match the values sent by non-meteobridge software. I know you think I am nuts, and you are the author and sole decision maker so I only ask that you let the USER decide.

Thank you for your consideration,
Don
---------
Don

glennpm
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by glennpm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:38 pm

I just tried to do an update yesterday and noticed the new "two year message". It appears that this change also affects old licenses and not those going forward. Is this correct?

"In the future licenses will still be of unlimited life-time, but update service
will be limited to two years after having applied/purchased the license.
By that you will get two years the latest and greatest updates for free,
but after two years the version you can use is stuck at that point. "

This is the message I get under the System tab. I have had Meteobridge running since 2014 as noted by the expiration below.

"System (Warning: SW update period has expired since 2016-08-19. Please see 'License' tab for options.)"

Mattk
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by Mattk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Affects updates beyond FW 3.2 not the future operation

glennpm
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by glennpm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks Mattk, disappointed with this.

Glenn

Mattk
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by Mattk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Should have added only applies to the flashed MB boxes not the pro's. In the real world of licensing if all licensing schemes were as simple as this we would be laughing. Most other software/firmware I deal with are costed on a per version update or with the likes of hardware are simply discontinued as EOL and replaced with a new model.