3rd party meteostick driver

All about the cool new device that can read RF data directly from Davis® weather stations

Moderator: Mattk

Luc
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

3rd party meteostick driver

Post by Luc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:19 am

Hello,
I'm writing in English but can read German as well. I'm new to this forum and have some questions about using a 3rd party driver. I have co-written a meteostick driver for linux weather program weewx. We are parsing the o1 output.
During testing with a Vantage Vue it appeared the rain counter wrapped arround at a value of 127 while the manual says 255. I also noticed once a rain counter value of 222, so I'm confused! :shock:
Another question: is the rx treshold a parameter which can be set in the meteostick and if yes: what is the protocol, or is it handled by the meteohub/meteobridge software?
Luc Heijst
Paramaribo - Suriname

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: 3rd party meteostick driver

Post by admin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Parameter "x" handles RF threshold. "x180" sets RF threshold to -90db, "x160" sets to -80db.

Luc
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Luc » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks very much! I will put the rf treshold setting in our weewx meteostick driver.

Our driver is now working for three weeks without any problems on three meteosticks (Two of them are listening to the same Vantage Vue where the values are compared with the values read by the weewx vantage driver connected with an IP data logger on an Envoy).

I have two more questions besides the rain count wrap around value.
1. Are there other meteostick settings not mentioned in the official manual?
2. Does the meteostick has a 'help' function?

Vielen Dank!

Luc

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:38 pm

? gives settings of the parameters, a help function is not included as the stick is very short on storage.

Luc
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Luc » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Thanks Boris!

Luc
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Luc » Sun May 01, 2016 12:33 am

I'm sorry to say the meteostick output with option 'o1' (computed values separated by blanks) appear to be completely useless because of a percentage of 'good signals' ofno more than 65, sigh!

So we're forced to change to the output of option 'o0' (raw data 8 bytes). This format has a much better throughput: 85-95%. :-)
The drawback is the raw data format is not publicy described: nor by Davis neither by Smartbedded!

Luckily there is a lot of information about the raw Davis format on the internet (just google yourself).
And if that is not sufficient, we will compare the output of the Davis data logger with the meteostick data for a while; then do some statistical equations on the gathered data and we wil have our formulas I guesss!

A graphical representation of my progress can be seen on: http://www.lucdesign.nl/data/weewx/mstk/

More to come.

Luc

Luc
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Luc » Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Hello all,

I have made progress with our meteostick driver for weewx. Most data is now read from the raw data of the meteostick with the same or even higher resolution than the vantage driver data.
See the page on my web site where the data of the vantage driver is shown next to that of the meteostick driver: http://www.lucdesign.nl/data/weewx/mstk/

There is still work to do, but most work is done now!

Cheers,
Luc

droiddk
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by droiddk » Mon May 09, 2016 10:17 pm

Luc wrote:Hello all,

I have made progress with our meteostick driver for weewx. Most data is now read from the raw data of the meteostick with the same or even higher resolution than the vantage driver data.
See the page on my web site where the data of the vantage driver is shown next to that of the meteostick driver: http://www.lucdesign.nl/data/weewx/mstk/

There is still work to do, but most work is done now!

Cheers,
Luc
Nice work Luc!

Regards