This section covers the Meteobridge PRO units exclusively

Moderator: Mattk

dexterdom
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Powering from USB port on access point?

Post by dexterdom » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi there,
I just ordered the MeteoBridge Pro Red and I'm planning to place it next to my wireless AP, wired into one of the ethernet ports. My AP has 2 USB ports available (2.0 and 3.0). Would it be possible to power the MB Pro from one of these ports? I'm thinking the 3.0 port, since it should be able to provide more power, but interested in thoughts about this idea. It would make for a cleaner installation and avoid having another wall wart.

Also, would be interested in thoughts about me placing the MB PRo this close to my access point. Do you see any issues with interference? Like I mentioned, I won't be using wifi, just a hardwired connection, and the Davis frequency is in the ~900MHz range (as far as I know) so there should be no interference there.
Thanks in advance

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Powering from USB port on access point?

Post by admin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:58 am

Hard to say on RF interference, just give it a try.
Feeding from USB port can work, when it gives up to 1A of power.
You will see spontaneous restarts, when the power is not sufficient.
Start of WLAN operation can make the unit reboot, when power supply being too weak.

dexterdom
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Powering from USB port on access point?

Post by dexterdom » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Sorry for the delay, it took me a while to get my ISS finally installed and ready for the MB. I just wanted to follow up and let you know that I have the MB Pro plugged into a free USB 3.0 port on my access point and it's been running with no issues. I haven't noticed any spurious reboots or errors in the logs.