HOWTO: Deal with a full data partition

Discussion of the Meteohub software package

Moderator: Mattk

rainrainrain
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

HOWTO: Deal with a full data partition

Post by rainrainrain » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:33 pm

I've just run into the same problem that others have noted in the past, when the data partition fills up you get all sorts of random errors where things sort of appear to work but there are difficult-to-diagnose problems. In my case I started getting alerts "No data upload to weather networks as sensor selected on weather network page for outdoor temp, outdoor humidity or outdoor dewpoint is not providing recent data" every few hours despite them providing live data, and on poking around noticed that the log was filled with endless "illegal data record in line xxxx while reading from file /data/weather/xxxx/raw" errors.

To deal with this, you need to delete old entries to make room on the data partition. ssh to the meteohub device and log in with username "meteohub", password "meteohub". cd to /data/weather, then su root with password "meteohub". Finally, delete older directories, which are sorted by year name. I just kept removing the oldest directories until I got the data partition to below 50% utilisation.

A request to the developer, it would be nice if there was an option to trim older entries automatically rather than having the system silently fall apart when the data partition is full. For example allowing the retention of x years worth of data, or making sure that old entries are cleaned up once the partition fills to a user-settable amount, would be nice. Having to manually ssh in and fix things up is kind of awkward.