NEW PRODUCT - METEOPLUG

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

NEW PRODUCT - METEOPLUG

Post by admin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:31 am

DEUTSCH:

Meteohub ist den nächsten Evolutionsschritt gegangen und entstanden ist Meteoplug.

Meteoplug splittet die Wetterdatenverarbeitung in einen Client mit minimaler Stromaufnahme, extrem geringen Anschaffungskosten, kleinsten Abmessungen und simpelster Bedienung ("just plug in" ) und eine Serverinfrastruktur im Internet zur Konfiguration, Anzeige und Auswertung der Daten.

Details über diesen neuen Client-Server Ansatz zur Wetterdatenverarbeitung finden sich hier: www.meteoplug.com

Entsprechende Client-HW vorausgesetzt kann Meteoplug 30 Tag gratis in vollem Funktionsumfang ausprobiert werden.

-----------------------------------------
ENGLISH:

Meteohub did the next step of evolution and something new - called Meteoplug - has been born.

Meteoplug separates weather data recording into a client and a server component. Client has minimal power demand (1-2 watts), is very cheap, comes in a extremely tiny package, and is dead simple to operate ("just plug in" ). Server is located in the Internet and has all the bells and whistles needed for graphing and data evaluation.

Have a look at details here: www.meteoplug.com

Having a suitable client HW (Bifferboard or Meteohub) you can try Meteoplug and all it's features 30 days for free.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:NEW PRODUCT - METEOPLUG

Post by admin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Due to a domain name problem, link to www.meteoplug.com was redirected to www.meteohub.de. This has been fixed by now.

When your browser cache still directs you to Meteohub instead of Meteoplug, please use "wiki.meteoplug.com" which directs you to the new pages for sure.

cbhiii
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by cbhiii » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:38 pm

I have to ask it, because I'm sure some of us are concerned.

What does this mean for Meteohub? Is your plan to move us all to Meteoplug in the future or will you continue to support Meteohub and bring new features to it as well?

Thanks.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 2 (Meteohub status)

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:55 pm

No worry. Meteohub will continue, as it has a unique value proposition.

Meteoplug is just an alternative in situations a client-server approach makes more sense. It might also be an add-on to Meteohub to provide some more sophisticated types of chart-generation etc.

As much of the code is shared between both branches, development on one side will probably bring also new features to the other one.

Meteoplug branch will allow for ports into routers (openwrt, ddwrt, fonera, etc) which a meteohub software stack is not capable of, simply because of too high demands to computational power and storage. This is a bit an outlook into the future, but Meteoplug is ideally suited to be hosted on any computing device one might think of. This potential drives the development of Meteoplug. Bifferboards are ideal for a miniature stand-alone Meteoplug client, but the potential of having that embedded into network devices you already might have, will open a completely new door of market opportunities.

Having said that, please don't push me on doing that ports now... I will go that way, but at the moment I do focus on getting Meteoplug working seamlessly. We are still in some kind of beta with this and hopefully, you like the new graphing features as much as I do.

For discussion of Meteoplug topics, please use "forum.meteoplug.com". Especially a lot of the trouble shooting threads will not bring much insight for Meteohub users in this forum and vice versa.

cbhiii
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by cbhiii » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Good info. Thanks!
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 2 (Meteohub status)

Billy
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Billy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Meteoplug offers interesting features.:)
I had a short look on Meteoplug docu and it's not yet clear for me whether the "Plug-in" features of meteohub are supportet too!
As I use an own plug-in to log and graph my heating data this feature would be essential for me.:dry:

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 pm

When using a Bifferboard as Meteoplug client, plug-ins will not be supported.

When feeding Meteoplug server with a Meteohub system, all data the Meteohub can handle is transferred to Meteoplug server and can be used there. If you have plug-ins running at your Meteohub, you can make use of the data they are providing in Meteoplug.

In general Meteoplug might also be an add-on to existing Meteohub systems, as it has much more flexibility in "graphing". Two examples:

* HTML-Tables, not possible with Meteohub. This has often been requested during last quarters.

* Graphs for reworked sensors (home-brew UV sensor made from a temp sensor, for example). As the graph description language gives enormous flexibility, you can easily draw graphs for a modified temp sensor as UV values and can also put this into tables, etc. Even calibration by factor and offset can be done inside graphing descriptions.

* any CSV file format. With graph type export you can generate CSV files in wide ranges. You define what is in there, what the delimiter is etc (see WD export example in Meteoplug gallery). When you want to feed other Programs with weather data, this might be ideal. Data can be received by any computer that has internet access by simply receiving plain text data from a defined URL.

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by skyewright » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:39 pm

admin wrote:It might also be an add-on to Meteohub to provide some more sophisticated types of chart-generation etc.
I can vouch for that.

I have a Meteohub feeding Meteoplug and I'm finding the "Interactive" and "Table" charting options especially powerful. Meteoplug provides gnuplot too, but the other charting options open up ways of looking at data well beyond what gnuplot can achieve.

And the export type is something I remember "wishing" for a very long time ago. :cheer: