Update 4.9r

What's hot...

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Update 4.9r

Post by admin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Update to Meteohub V4.9r (NSLU2, x86, SheevaPlug, DreamPlug, iConnect, DC01) brings these features:
  • Bug fixes for envoy8x cyclic polling of multiple stations
  • update on CWOP and APRS data format to match APRS specs
  • some A10 platform-specific bug fixes:
    - new button "shutdown" on maintenance page allowa non-corruptive power down. Please wait at least 1 minute before disconnect power when having initiated a shutdown.
    - sets hwclock to current system time on reboot/shutdown
    - fixes issues with demo period and logger not recognizing that system is activated
    - more minor fixes
Update Link: http://www.meteohub.de/files/update-v4.9r.upd

N5XL
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Update 4.9r

Post by N5XL » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Boris,

I have noticed that when checking on the Maintenance page in Meteohub, version 4.9r continually shows as an available update even though I an running 4.9r. Downloading and installing the update automatically through Meteohub does not change this message, nor does manually installing the update as a standalone file.

FYI if you have not checked your email, I have also sent you a separate email outlining other issues related to APRS login and APRS data transmission that need correcting.

Best regards,
David
N5XL

meteo-quimper
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by meteo-quimper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:16 am

Hi
Same problem here with the 4.9R update

G3ZSS
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by G3ZSS » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Same problem here with 4.9r reminders.
I also have a problem where I set my Meteohub to conduct a scheduled reboot every week on a Sunday. However with this update the reboot means that I have to now manually restart the data logging process (on the Maintenance page). I have temporarily disabled my weekly rebooting until hopefully the next update!.
Running 4.9r (1202) on a SheevaPlug.
Thanks
Peter

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Some comments on the topics you raised.
1) @G3ZSS: data logging does start automatically after each reboot. If not, then you have a specific problem (crashed/damaged filesystem on sd card etc). When you provide me access on ports 22 and 7777 on your fresh rebooted meteohub I can login and check what your sutostart problem is.
2) The update on 4.9r I did provide yesterday should finally solve the issue that data logging stops with reporting that it is a not licensed system in "meteohub log" altough it clearly is. You can install 4.9r on top of your actual 4.9r to give it a try.
3) APRS TCPXX problem should also be solved by yesterdays update of 4.9r.

When a couple of bug-fixings things are confimed to work, I will make a 4.9s. Up to then recent hot-fixes will stay in the 4.9r loop.

N5XL
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by N5XL » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:07 am

The APRS wx packet transmission issue (TCPXX vs TCPIP) appears to be fixed. Amateur radio operators running 4.9r build 1204 are now able to have wx packets passed properly on both the CWOP and APRS T1 and T2 servers. From my perspective as a ham, it would be in the spirit of good amateur radio practice for hams to limit their wx packet uploads to the Tier 1 or Tier 2 servers and leave the CWOP servers open to non ham use. For hams wanting Tier 1, use "rotate.aprs.net:14580#XXXXX", where XXXXX is your passcode. Tier 2 servers can be accessed by North American hams by using "noam.aprs2.net" using the same port and passcode as above. Hams in other parts of the world have their own regional servers and should use those as referenced here http://www.aprs2.net/. If you are not a ham operator, you should be using the CWOP servers (by selecting the CWOP checkbox) and not the APRS servers talked about above.

FYI, this hotfix also benefits non amateur radio operator stations (civilian stations) uploading wx data to CWOP servers. Build 1204 "future proofs" the CWOP civilian stations by allowing them to have their wx data properly passed if the existing CWOP servers get newer, more stringent software. This is good news. While monitoring this issue over the past few months, I observed very few wx clients that are able to do this properly...Meteohub is now in the list of clients that handles TCPIP traffic properly on both the CWOP and APRS side. :)

There is still a minor issue with one of the Tier 1 APRS servers during initial login. I am in contact with the sysop of the server trying to determine the root cause. As of this time, only one server out of the 8 other Tier 1 servers appears to be affected by this issue. This is a minor issue and should not prevent any Meteohub user from upgrading to 4.9r, build 1204. Boris, I'll continue to isolate the issue and let you know what I find out.
Last edited by N5XL on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:25 am

thanks for your support and sorry, that i made progress on this so slow as i am not very deep into the aprs thing.