WMR200 conection to Meteobridge Pro

This is intended for WMR100, WMR200, WMRS200 and RMS300 specific topics

Moderator: Mattk

whitehse46
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

WMR200 conection to Meteobridge Pro

Post by whitehse46 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Ok some very basic questions from a new lad, i,m trying to understand before I buy a Meteobridge Pro.

So at present I have a WMR 200 connected to a PC with a USB cable and run Virtual weather station. PC is turned on and off when I use it so my data is poor and has holes in it, caused mainly by bad strings when it trys to catch up with data. (well known issue)

So have decided time for an upgrade.

Questions.
How do I connect the Meteobridge pro to the WMR 200 station, I keep reading about needing a USB 2.0 hub what is this all about why do I need this and can anyone reccomend one ?

Will the Meteobridge Pro actual see my sensors direct or is this only Davis devices ?

Do I then just connect PC via the network to run Virtual Weather Station etc ?

Any links to basic info and any info from anybody doing this before I shell out the £350 would be lovely

Regards

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: WMR200 conection to Meteobridge Pro

Post by galfert » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:38 am

I would invest in a new station before you decide to add a Meteobridge to keep running a WMR200.

See here for more info:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic ... #msg391301

Once you invest in a new station depending on what it is you do with your data you may not need the Meteobridge at all. Many new station are capable of sending data without a computer to several places. Where does your data go now?... Besides going to VWS (which you do know is officially discontinued.)

Let us know what the station needs to do and where data goes so that we can make recommendations.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a Meteobridge. I use one and love it. I'm just saying to look at the big picture.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

whitehse46
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by whitehse46 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Interesting
Had considered just dumping it and making the jump to Davis. At present all I really want is to have my own
The lowest temperature this month
How much has it rained this month / Year etc
Etc which with all these holes in my data I cant really do this
Some of the Perks like being able to look at it remotely and even ask alexa seem interesting.
At present I have 2 temp external temp sensors UV but would prefer/ sunshine rain and wind speed and direction.
So my cheap option seems to be to flash a router with Metobridge that looks like £100, next option do the Meteobridge Pro £350. Or as you say bite on the bullet new weather station £600-£800 ??

galfert
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by galfert » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:13 am

If you are considering a Davis go full VP2. Forget the Davis Vue as that is I feel a bad investment because sooner or later you'll be faced with a bad sensor. Every brand station eventually faces a sensor needing replacement. The problem with the Davis Vue is that you can't replace sensors like you can on a VP2. With a Davis VP2 you can get just the VP2 ISS without display and then add the WeatherLink Live and then the Meteobridge will talk to that.

Another option is to get an Ambient Weather WS-2000 (not for you though because this is US only) or Ecowitt HP2551 or custom Ecowitt with separate sensors (like a GW1002 and then if you want add the HP2551-C display). To any of these you the add the Ecowitt GW1000 (yes it works with the Ambient WS-2000 also, but it is included with the GW1002) and then add the Meteobridge. You can even start off the more basic GW1001. Lots of options here.

* I referenced this post with the Ambient Weather brand in case other people are reading this and they are in the US. I wanted them to know that there is another option than Ecowitt. Likewise for you there is also Froggit brand. This is all the same stuff. But Ambient and Froggit don't carry every possible combination.
MR3020 v1
GW1000