Davis VP2+ => MB forecast data issue

Davis Vantage Pro2, Pro1 (not firmware A)

Moderator: Mattk

dtidmore
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Davis VP2+ => MB forecast data issue

Post by dtidmore » Thu May 10, 2018 2:40 pm

I am SO close to having the steel gauges suite completely operational. In fact ALL the gauges ARE working, but we are having an issue with the forecast info present on the VP2+ console flowing thru the MB. The VP2+ is connected by a Belfryboy USB data logger to my meteobridge. I am then using Weather Display (WD) on my Mac via the IP passthru feature to poll the MB routinely for sensor data updates (ie port 22222). It appears that MB does NOT send over the forecast data from the Davis Console as it is nowhere to be found in the raw data from the MB. The result is that WD is inserting a default forecast. Before he changes the code to eliminate the default forecast in the absence of an actual forecast from the VP2+ console via MB, is there something that we are overlooking?

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Davis VP2+ => MB forecast data issue

Post by Mattk » Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Would the forecast that is specific to a Davis station only be classed as "raw data"? What does [forecast-text] give you?

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Fri May 11, 2018 2:25 pm

MB is not interacting with anything when a weather-program is using the Davis attached to the MB
The MB in pass-thru-mode is non-existent for both the Davis console and any weather-program using MB-IP:22222

Attached a screenshot. MB at ip 192.168.1.17, has a Davis Vue and lets WeatherDisplay use it at its port 22222
WD displays the VP forecast message on its main window.

Succes, Wim
Attachments
mb_wd_vp_forecast.jpeg
mb_wd_vp_forecast.jpeg (445.52 KiB) Viewed 373 times

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Fri May 11, 2018 7:28 pm

I downloaded latest WD-Mac version and tested but could not get the forecast ticker to work. The language setting did not stick.
Weathercat (for the Mac) displays the short forecast (partly cloudy) correctly
WeatherTracker (for the Mac) shows the long forecast correctly.

I attach a screenshot with on the left the Meteobridge "Live Data" tab and on the right the WeatherTracker window.

I doubt the problem is with the Meteobridge as I am using that for years. With WD there are different "tags" for the VP-forecast.
%vpforecasttext% Forecast text as seen on the Davis VP console => a long multiple words sentence => Partly cloudy with little temperature change.
%forecasticonword% Words for the forecast icon => a short one or two words forecast => Partly cloudy

The console only supplies a forecast number in the LOOP packets.
The weather-program has to translate that number to a text.
That is why the different weather-programs often display slightly different texts with he same meaning.
At the same moment Meteobridge supplies: Increasing clouds with little temperature change.
And the MB-attached WeatherTracker almost the same text: Increasing Clouds With Little Temp. Change.

Wim
P.S.
Any Meteobridge can by itself upload the realtime file for the Steelseries, including the forecast text.
Check my site at: https://weer.sluispark.be/index.php?p=mnu_steel&lang=en

Attached screenshot:
Attachments
weathertracker.jpeg
weathertracker.jpeg (199.5 KiB) Viewed 365 times

dtidmore
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by dtidmore » Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 pm

I understand that I could directly feed my Steel Series gauges from the MB, BUT I loose quite a few of the gauges in the process such as solar. It appears that the Windows version of WD is handling the forecast code from the Davis console via MB passthru just fine, but the Mac version is NOT. I will stated that over the past couple of seeks, I have uncovered and Brian has corrected a multitude of sins in the Mac version. He seems to think it has to do with the way the new compiler is handling strings. The forecast issue is the last issue and Brian has not been able to find a solution thus far. He did add code to blank out the forecast sent to my Steel Gauges if I unchecked the appropriate check boxes. At least the removed the bogus "mostly clear and cooler" forecast that WD was indicating irrespective of what the Davis console was indicating

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 pm

dtidmore wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 pm
I understand that I could directly feed my Steel Series gauges from the MB, BUT I loose quite a few of the gauges in the process such as solar. It appears that the Windows version of WD is handling the forecast code from the Davis console via MB passthru just fine, but the Mac version is NOT. I will stated that over the past couple of seeks, I have uncovered and Brian has corrected a multitude of sins in the Mac version. He seems to think it has to do with the way the new compiler is handling strings. The forecast issue is the last issue and Brian has not been able to find a solution thus far. He did add code to blank out the forecast sent to my Steel Gauges if I unchecked the appropriate check boxes. At least the removed the bogus "mostly clear and cooler" forecast that WD was indicating irrespective of what the Davis console was indicating
Sorry, but I really do not understand what MB can not do / deliver.
This is my daughters site, she has VP2+, Solar and UV
She uses an old version of Meteobridge 3.2 (May 29 2017, build 3813), FW 1.2
And at here website the Solar and UV gauges are correct, as is the Davis forecast.
https://www.weerstation-herent.be/weath ... el&lang=en

How the Steelseries file should look, depends on which version/author of the Steelseries/Gauges-scripts you want to run,
But I am not aware that MB can not supply the needed data for UV or Solar gauges.

Wim