Vantage - Data communication questions / Home Automation

Davis Vantage Pro2, Pro1 (not firmware A)

Moderator: Mattk

bommelpommel
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Vantage - Data communication questions / Home Automation

Post by bommelpommel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:19 am

Hi,
since my WMRS200 finally died (after many years of already unreliable) data communication and many hours of resets etc. I need to buy a new weather station and communication hub, which should provide for the following tasks (I will get to my questions below):

- Collect weather data ... esp. Wind, Rain and Solar Radiation ... other is nice to have
- Data will be used for home automation, shades, irrigation and retraction of the marquise in case of strong winds
- Data needs to be exportable to Symcon (which is automation software I am using)
- Data needs to be as current as possible

The planned setup
- On the Weather Station I am most likely going Vantage Pro 2 Wireless 6162 inkl. USB logger.
- The logger should communicate via USB with a Raspberry running Meteohub.
- Communication should happen via /meteograph.cgi?text=all which I am planning to parse for different elements via PHP scripts.

The questions
1. When connecting the Vantage via USB to Meteohub on a raspberry, how often will the data be read ... will it update meteohub with every read, so every 2.5 seconds or when a sensor provides data
2. Since I plan to parse /meteograph.cgi?text=all for current readings, will this page be current, providing data with a similiar frequency as questions 1? I might actually pull less often then 2.5 seconds ... maybe for Wind 10 seconds ... temperature per minute, but it should be somewhat accurate
3. Is there a better way to get to data than the HTML page, like a XML or JSON file, which can be parsed (this is a bit more structured)
4. For communication I am considering USB, but can also used the network IP option ... any benefit for the above usecase going with IP (purely seen from meteohub)
5. Will all readings/sensor data provided from the Vantage incl. stuff like moisture or leafwettness ... which I am consider for later this year.

This will be my 4. weather station (homematic, eltako, oregon). So far I have always went with "cheap options" (resulting in more money spent than the vantage will cost) and learned a lot. This time I want to get it right if possible, with a longer lasting system and a higher reliability.

Many thanks for some thoughts on the above.

Enno

bommelpommel
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Vantage - Data communication questions / Home Automation

Post by bommelpommel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:09 am

One more ... just saw the availability of the Nano ... that might be a good extension, if it is able to provide the data as outlined above?

How can the Nano be bought in Germany? I only saw Austria or the Netherlands as locations for procurement?

bommelpommel
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Vantage - Data communication questions / Home Automation

Post by bommelpommel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:24 pm

By now I have answered most of it myself ... the project should be doable, now that I know that stuff is downloadable as a XML.

The "big" remaining question is, where to buy the nano in Germany :D