Transitioning from Weatherlink to Meteohub....

Davis Vantage Pro2, Pro1 (not firmware A)

Moderator: Mattk

geoair
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Transitioning from Weatherlink to Meteohub....

Post by geoair » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi,
I'm considering the iomega Iconnect + meteohub to store and manage the data my Davis VP2 (with weatherlink) and thus avoid having a desktop pc running 24/7/365.
I'm pretty confortable with Weatherlink so I have some fears changing to meteohub in terms of features anda data management (reports for instance)
Ideally it would have both solutions (weatherlink and meteohub) running simultaneously to avoid losing any data while testing meteohub ...
What are your opinions?
Thank you,
Jorge

d_l
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Transitioning from Weatherlink to Meteohub....

Post by d_l » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Weatherlink software can not collect data from a serial or USB Weatherlink logger connected to a Meteohub. If you wish to continue collecting weather data with that software, at a minimum, you will need a WeatherLink IP connected to your LAN. With this set up, both the Meteohub and the Weatherlink software can collect weather data; however, they can not do so simultaneously because the WLIP is limited to a single thread at a time.

Effectively this means that the meteohub device will be collecting data from the WLIP through the use of Davis LOOP commands more or less continuously. The firmware is programmed to breifly pause its LOOPing periodically to allow Weatherlink software a chance to access the archival records. These brief pauses in the LOOPing are usually long enough for Weatherlink to download at least 10 records from the logger. If too many records are to be downloaded and the time exceeds the LOOPing pause, then Weatherlink crashes.

Archival data can be downloaded to your computer from the Davis weatherlink.com site by your Weatherlink software without any interference from the meteohub; however, that data can be up to an hour behind the current data because the logger only uploads its archives there every hour.

I use two meteohubs with several WLIP loggers. The meteohubs act as data collectors, graph builders, and uploaders for public display to my web site. For the all important data storage and analysis on my local computers, I still use Weatherlink software. Catastrophic loss of data is too common when using the flash storage of the meteohubs. Also you will not want to have too much data stored on the meteohub as some changes you make to its set up will often force a re-compute of the data and that can take hours to complete. I currently have almost two years of data on one meteohub and the re-compute takes well over eight hours to finish. Frankly I'm seriously considering deleting at least a year's worth of the oldest data from the flash drive to speed the re-compute time.

If you do not use a Davis WLIP and plan to use both Weatherlink and the meteohub, you will need a system of dual serial/USB loggers and Davis receivers.

geoair
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by geoair » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:35 pm

My weatherlink is the USB version...

rabit
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by rabit » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:44 pm

If possible (enough money..) use two logger.
One for meteohub, and one for weatherlink. Then you have all possibilities and a backup too.

kalen
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by kalen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi. I have a VP2 with weatherlink IP. At the moment I upload to weatherlink.com which then in turn uploads to wunderground.

Basically, I am wondering if meteobridge will allow the davis to still upload to weatherlink.com but the meteobridge can take over the uploads, which gives me the ability for rapid fire updates and also upload to met office WOW.

It has sort of been suggesting that this is possible in the above comments but I just want to double check before I go and buy another TL-MR3020 router. :P

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:23 pm

kalen wrote:Basically, I am wondering if meteobridge will allow the davis to still upload to weatherlink.com but the meteobridge can take over the uploads, which gives me the ability for rapid fire updates and also upload to met office WOW.
This thread is about Meteohub, not Meteobridge.
However, when you refer to Meteobridge, uploads to weatherlink.com will done in parallel to Meteobridge operation when you have a WLIP that does this by itself. USB/serial dataloggers from Davis will just feed data into Meteobridge and from there it goes the ways as described on www.meteobridge.com.

kathi
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by kathi » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:31 pm

Das ist für mich hart zu traken, da ich keine entsprechenden Sensoren hier zum Testen habe.
Lentas, könnstest Du mir bitte Zugriff auf Deinen Meteohub (ports 22 und 7777) geben?
If you are looking for fast success in vce to pdf then join convert vce to pdf to find complete open vce file resources and pass www.ndm.edu certifications on first try. A person can pick Johnson University Florida