Alternatives to USB thumb drives?

Moderator: Mattk

rainman110
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Alternatives to USB thumb drives?

Post by rainman110 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:33 pm

I've been running a couple of NSLU2 units for a couple of years now, and it seems that even the best USB sticks will eventually wear out and start getting errors after a year or so, which then requires a rebuild with a new stick. Are there any alternatives to USB sticks that work with the NSLU2 that are more durable? Anyone tried using anything else?

dabird22
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Alternatives to USB thumb drives?

Post by dabird22 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 pm

I am wondering the same thing. Can you use a small usb hard drive? I am trying a 40 GB external usb hard drive with the NSLU2. Everything seems to be working except reading data from the Vantage Pro 2 Weather Station.

(edit) Works now.. needed an update to meteohub to fix a bug.
Last edited by dabird22 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taz
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Taz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:27 pm

A really interesting question. I´ve been wondering the same thing. Have been looking for differences between a USB stick and a memory card. Sad to say, I think we with the NSLU meteohub systems are a minority :shock: so I have not figured out wherever I can put a SDHC in a USB card reader adapter. That solution would be great if it worked.

Or maybe a SSD disk could work? No moving parts, shock resistant and a MTBF of 1 000 000 hours. Manufacturers warranty of at least 36 months (in case the memory capsules becomes bad ). Low on power consumption. A nice little interface between the NSLU and the disk is what is needed.

Anyone with experience of alternatives of a USB stick? Please share your solutions and thoughts!

dabird22
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by dabird22 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm

FYI for other users wondering the same thing...

I have been using a small (no additional power adapter needed) 40 gig USB hard drive with the NSLU2 and meteohub for about a month and its running great! It does work. I would bet its more reliable too. I just imaged it with the 4 gig stick image just like I would have for a USB stick.

I got tired of losing data over and over from the USB flash sticks, so I wanted to try other things.

bolzano
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by bolzano » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Great post :D

For 3 years now, I've used many keys, which each time data losses (1 month, 1 week etc...) between saves.

If harddisk seems to work, I think I will try this !

southfield
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by southfield » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Just got a 40 gb usb hard drive to try and use with my NSLU, it is formatted with NTFS.
Will this work or will I have to re format it.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:49 am

I don't think that hard drives are very reliable and would recommend to use SLC USB sticks like Transcend JetFlash 130.
But of course, you can try with HDs. Preparation of the HD would be exactly as with an USB stick as explained in section 1.1.3 of the manual.

There are threads in this forum which describe how to enlarge the data partition afterwards.

When going with HDs you might skip the 1.8" ones as these can't handle 24/7 operation for a longer time by specification - as far as I can remember. 2.5" might be the best choice, when going that way.

There also situations known, where the NSLU2 itself does produce trouble with accessing the USB sticks. Please keep in mind that the NSLU2 is out of production for about 4 years now and a rather aged device. Upgrading to an iConnect platform might also solve your problem, as this runs very well on suitable USB sticks so far.