Is it worth it?

Moderator: Mattk

NL3D
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Is it worth it?

Post by NL3D » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:05 am

Hello group!

I have a slug that was running WView with my Davis Vantage Pro. I have since upgraded to an Ultimeter 2100. I would like to use the slug with Meteohub, but I am wondering if it is worth the time given a Sheevaplug is $99. The reason I'm even asking this is because the Meteohub hardware guide does not speak very highly of the slug, and the Ultimeter puts out a lot of data so I'm also concerned about the processing power. That said, my primary concern is reliability, not speed. So as long as the slug can reliably process/serve the wx data from the Ultimeter, I'll be happy. Any advice is appreciated.

Mike (NL3D)

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by skyewright » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 pm

NL3D wrote:So as long as the slug can reliably process/serve the wx data from the Ultimeter, I'll be happy. Any advice is appreciated.
The most common problem with the slug is failure of the USB stick, something that can happen just about anytime (some sticks are better than others), so if it's reliability you are after then a USB stick based slug may not be the best choice?

IIRC some people have managed to set up the slug using a USB harddrive in place of the USB stick, so if you already happen to have a suitable drive that might be a thought?

N.B. If you started with the slug then later decided you needed to change hardware, there is a mechanism for transfering your Meteohub licence from one device to another.

PS. I wonder what the record is for duration of a USB stick working with Meteohub?

d_l
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by d_l » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

skyewright wrote: PS. I wonder what the record is for duration of a USB stick working with Meteohub?
Mine has worked for almost two years without a problem since I switched to an OCZ Rally2 Turbo flash drive with SLC chips. You can't buy them now for a reasonable price because they are EOL.

NL3D
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by NL3D » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys! After a little more research I decided to get the SheevaPlug. I just couldn't resist the geek factor for $100.

Thanks Again,
Mike

Bhai
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Bhai » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am

The most common problem with the slug is failure of the USB stick, something that can happen just about anytime (some sticks are better than others), so if it's reliability you are after then a USB stick based slug may not be the best choice?
You can easily check out our high quality iuwne which prepares you well for security+ book testking. You can also get success in real tvoice - pass-4-sure exam with the quality hodges and selftestengine.