New modem router and can't find ip address

Moderator: Mattk

markebailey
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

New modem router and can't find ip address

Post by markebailey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:32 pm

I just installed a new Actiontec wireless Ndsl modem. My meteohub was working and broadcasting to Weatherunderground on the previous modem that for other reasons needed replacement. With the meteohub unchanged and the new modem/router installed I am no longer broadcasting to Weather Underground nor can I find the meteohub NSLU2 with ipscan. Any suggestions as to where to start? :?:

d_l
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: New modem router and can't find ip address

Post by d_l » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Is the new router on a different IP subnet than the NSLU2 uses?

markebailey
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by markebailey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm afraid I don't know my way around networking. The new router is a 3 in 1 unit with a modem, 4 port ethernet switch and a wireless N router. The NSLU2 is plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the new unit. Previously it was connected to a linksys wireless router. Could you tell me how to check the IP subnets?

wfpost
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wfpost » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:40 pm

every router has a webinterface where you can look up things like

IP Address and subnet of the router interfaces
in case of DHCP enabled also a list of IP´s currently assigned to clients

markebailey
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by markebailey » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:05 am

Okay, I see my laptop and I can get a gui to the new wireless modem. I cannot find the NSLU2 with ipscan whether it is hooked with an ethernet cable to the wireless modem or to my laptop. The ip address of the new wireless modem is 192.168 etc so I think it is on the same subnet that the router would be on. Does the new modem/router asign an address to the NSLU2 or does the NSLU2 have a built in address? What other ways might I get an interface with the NSLU2? I feel like I can't find the "on" switch here. :|

wfpost
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wfpost » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 am

so what´s the etc? 192.168.1.xx

the NSLU2 always has an 192.168.1.77 as backup IP.
So, if you connect it from a client having an IP-address from that subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.22. Can you than access the NSLU2?

markebailey
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by markebailey » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:25 am

The etc. was the problem. I changed the router subnet from 0.1 to 1.1 and now I can see the meteohub at 192.168.1.77 and 192.168.1.102 and the hub is now broadcasting to Weather Underground. Progress. IP Scanner says the meteohub is in workgroup LINKSYS while my laptop is in WORKGROUP. I still cannot get the Meteohub GUI to open with various browsers. Is the workgroup the problem?

markebailey
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by markebailey » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:18 pm

So, I can see the Meteohub address with IP scanner but I cannot get the GUI to open with a browser. :?:

Neither of the Disk lights are lit on the Meteohub but the weather station and memory stick are plugged in and light on memory stick is on. The Meteohub is successfully broadcasting to Weather Underground. I haven't been able to access through dyndns.org either, but that may be the same problem or I may not have port forwarding set up right in the new modem-router. :|

wfpost
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wfpost » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:56 pm

could be that your system is broken because your USB-Stick is dying right now and has already broken cells resulting in a partly damaged file system.
If you search the forum you will find dozens of entries about the USB-Stick problem with NSLu2.

Can you access the shell with SSH?

markebailey
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by markebailey » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Thank you wfpost. That is helpful and I will look into it. Don't know about a shell and ssh, guessing that is unix. I'm just a lay user on windows vista.

d_l
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by d_l » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:39 am

Do you have a software firewall that is blocking access to the Meteohub's IP? Microsoft has some firewall security features that must be enabled for various IPs on your LAN.

markebailey
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by markebailey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:24 am

d_I- I have played with the firewall features on the the router to no avail. You say Microsoft which makes me think you mean the firewall on my laptop. My laptop was accessing the meteohub set up as is until I changed to the new router. Maybe there is some firewall handshaking that needs to go on between the router and the laptop?

One guess is that the USB memory stick is starting to denigrate in some way. I had not accessed the meteohub with the previous router via the gui interface for a month or two. Maybe it had failed before I got the new router. I tried to put the firmware update on the usb stick that came with the meteohub, but I don't think it fit, so I have a larger usb stick on the way.

wfpost
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wfpost » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:24 am

I had installed a NSLU2 with friends and ran into similar problems you described.
The NSLU2 worked for two and a half years, but then the trouble started.

First the graphs were not reachable anymore and also no luck in getting the GUI opened in the browser. What I saw was, that the webbrowser simply timed out, although the webserver on the NSLu2 was running. Rebooting fixed the problem for a couple of hours, then again no access to the meteohub system.

Strange enough though, that all weather networks were updated in time and with fully correct values.

I have now installed an alix on that site, and what shall I say: Running perfect.

If you consider all the disadvantages of the NSLU2 (USB-Stick, very bad and low performance, high risk of losing all your weather data) sticking with the CISCO gadget consumes too much time: simple unacceptable.

I wouldn´t be surprised, if a lot of folks still running the Linksys device will experience catastrophic data losses in future: just in case they have not regulary made backups of their systems.

markebailey
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by markebailey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:31 pm

wfpost- Thank you very much, your analysis is very helpful and rings right-on true. The best thing about the NSLU2 experience has been the game of trying to get it working and keep it working. It's like dungeons and dragons. Looks like the dragons are going to win in the end. It's a family secret how much of my time this project has sucked up over the last 2 years! :oops: All the best - Mark Bailey

ZPC2THLgate
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ZPC2THLgate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 am

I get up in the morning and want to know the current temperature and 1 days ago at the same time.