Missing Records

Discussion, issues, recommendations around Meteohub's dashboard and WD Live integration

Moderator: Mattk

baobab
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Missing Records

Post by baobab » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Hello,

I have a Davis Vantage Vue connected to the Meteohub Server which uploads data to my website where it is being displayed using WD Live. See here: www.perezoso.net/weather. My setup has been working great from day one. I have looked at a number of other websites using WD Live and have noticed that among the records (monthly, yearly, alltime) there appear to be some that do not appear on my setup. The records I am refering to are "warmest day", "coldest day", etc. I've researched this issue a bit but have not come across any information whatsoever related to this issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I get those records added to my WD Live setup?

Thanks,

Baobab

plex
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Missing Records

Post by plex » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi

I've 2 setups - one with Meteohub, and one with Weather Display for Mac.

Things that are missing with Meteohub:

Highest daily rainfall
Highest rain in 1 hour
Warmest day
Coldest night
Coldest day
Warmest night

Also trends does not work...

I'm a bit dissapointed

Nowhere Meteohub tells about theese limitations

EmjayNet
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by EmjayNet » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:07 pm

As a user those would be nice things to have, but I don't think MH is limited by not having them.
You would only list them, if you were comparing yourself to WD. I don't think MH does that.

IMHO MH is not to be compared to WD. Yes WD has more features but also has more bugs than any other software I've come across.

I used WD for many years but I just could not stick with it anymore (I won't bore you with the details).

For me it was the final straw, I jump to MH software which is very stable, with a software designer who cares about his users, and has to many plus's to write about. I have not regreted it, ever! :D

Limitation, NO
Just a different way of doing something :D

Stick with it, I'm sure Boris will implement the bits he can if you ask nicely and have a bit of patience!

Jippe
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Jippe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Things that are missing with Meteohub:

Highest daily rainfall
Highest rain in 1 hour
Warmest day
Coldest night
Coldest day
Warmest night

Also trends does not work...
Is there any plans add these to clientraw.txt output?

Jippe
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Jippe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Is it possible add custom variables to meteohub?

plex
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by plex » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:57 pm

EmjayNet wrote:with a software designer who cares about his users, and has to many plus's to write about. I have not regreted it, ever! :D

Limitation, NO
Just a different way of doing something :D

Stick with it, I'm sure Boris will implement the bits he can if you ask nicely and have a bit of patience!
I've send the author an email about my issues with WDL, and I have no reply after 2 weeks. Also the author doesn't seems to be interested in our conversation in this forum, so I don't feel anything positive from Meteohub. If just he could come with some answers, before finding another solution.... That's not too much for ask for IMO!

YJB
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by YJB » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:01 pm

plex wrote:
I've send the author an email about my issues with WDL, and I have no reply after 2 weeks. Also the author doesn't seems to be interested in our conversation in this forum, so I don't feel anything positive from Meteohub. If just he could come with some answers, before finding another solution.... That's not too much for ask for IMO!
Well, I don't want to start a fight, and I do understand some of your frustration. Based on my experience Boris is responding on a regular basis to user requests in a timely manner. On the other hand one must realize as well that this is a one man show, and since it is not a full time job, he can probably not respond to each and every question.

From what I've seen (part of this is my own experience in other are'as beyond MH):
requests like "can you make this work like it does in "Program XYZ" are not the 1st ones to be implemented. Meteohub is a program on its own, and if you like other programs better you should go for the other program. It simply doesn't make sense to run a program in "XYZ" compatibility mode.

Bug reports are more likely to get priority which makes sense I guess

Feature requests are more likely to get implemented if you spell out your requests. You can find some of these requests on the forum that were implemented almost overnight. Hopefully it's understandable that a request like "Coldest night" requires a lot of research. For instance:
- What is the definition of a night (when does it start, when does it end)
- What timeframe are we talking about (week/Month/Year)

So my suggestion would be that when you've got a request, you:
- Show the benefit of having that feature available
- Show the definition of the feature, what should it do exactly.

Also:
- do keep in mind that MH runs on a low power platform, some functions are simply too much
- You can write your own shell / perl script that parses the raw datafiles; All these files are ACSII fields, and are very easy to parse. A simple cronjob could then run your own script on a daily basis and fetch the data. If you don't want to parse the datafiles you can also use the http://meteohub/meteograph.cgi?text= interface as documented in the manual with a script running on a regular basis.

Last but not least, I'm not saying that your requests are not making any sense, I'm just trying to create a bit of understanding, it just makes live more enjoyable for everybody.

Ysbrand

Jippe
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Jippe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Where I find scripts/code that makes meteohub variables?
I can maybe help to make those variables if someone points me a way..

Day is 06:00-18:00 and night 18:00-06:00
Timeframes: month, year and alltime, just like another records too.

I like this software and dont want to complain. :D

geiro
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by geiro » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:35 am

HAs anything happened here? I hope so since I will be switching from WD to MH in about 2 weeks :-)

plex
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by plex » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 pm

geiro wrote:HAs anything happened here? I hope so since I will be switching from WD to MH in about 2 weeks :-)
I guess not!

I've switched back to WD - best solution IMO

geiro
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by geiro » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:36 pm

I hope the missing records and a choice for manually enter your weather records will come in som future release, so far I am very placed with MeteoHub, very stable, easy to use, and with some small additions it will be perfect for my use.

geiro
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by geiro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:16 am

If support for the missing records in WDL is not to be supported, it would be nice to know, that way there is no need to keep whizzing for it.

I do still hope that these records could be made available also from Meteohub since I am very pleased with everything else!

plex
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by plex » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:33 am

geiro wrote:If support for the missing records in WDL is not to be supported, it would be nice to know, that way there is no need to keep whizzing for it.

I do still hope that these records could be made available also from Meteohub since I am very pleased with everything else!
I second that...

Meteohub is great, but it's difficult to say goodbye to missing records and trends in WDL - especially when switching from Weather Display, and those things was obvious.