Wunderground wind gust with RainWise MkIII

Moderator: Mattk

tsmedley
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Wunderground wind gust with RainWise MkIII

Post by tsmedley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:48 am

I am using Meteohub 4.4 to process data from a RainWise MkIII using the MkIIICC computer interface.

I have observed two problems with wind reporting:

1) The Wind Gust reading is never reset. I believe the RainWise interface requires a "W" command to reset the Wind Gust. Meteohub apparently does not send this command.
This affects all Meteohub data streams - dashboard, WD Live, wunderground, CWOP.

2) Wind values uploaded to Wunderground show the wind gust value reported for the avereage wind speed. This is unique to Wunderground - average wind values are reported correctly to CWOP, or on the dashboard or WD Live.

If you look at my PWS 'KWAHOQUI3' on wunderground.com you can easily see what is happening. The wind gust value never changes, and the average wind is reported to be the same as the wind gust.

All other sensors on the MkIII appear to be reported correctly.

I can provide data samples from the RainWise MkIII and the MkIII computer interface documentation if that is helpful.

Terry

tsmedley
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re:Wunderground wind gust with RainWise MkIII

Post by tsmedley » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 am

Here is further documentation of wind/wind gust problem with Meteohub and RainWise MkIII.

This is an image of the data received by Weather Underground from Meteohub. It shows two problems: 1) the average wind and wind gust are the same and 2) the wind gust is never reset.

This text snippet shows that the data received by CWOP from Meteohub correctly distinguishes between average wind and wind gust:

[file name=Meteohub_CWOP.txt size=11571]http://www.meteohub.de/joomla/images/fb ... b_CWOP.txt[/file]

I will separately post addition graphs with further examples of the incorrect wind reporting.

Terry

tsmedley
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by tsmedley » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:26 am

This chart shows data received by Weather Underground from Meteohub AND WeatherView software. The times for each software are labeled on the graph. From 10A to 2PM, WeatherView software was being used, and the average wind and wind gust is reported correctly, and the wind gust value is reset as expected. At 2PM, I switched back to Meteohub and you can see the average wind and wind gust is reported to be the same, and the wind gust is never reset. At 7PM I manually reset the wind gust (by sending a ':W' command to the interface).

tsmedley
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by tsmedley » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:53 am

My last example is a graph produced by Meteohub showing correct reporting of wind average and wind gust values, during the same period of time as my previous example showing incorrect reporting of the same information to Weather Underground:

I have switched back to using WeatherView until the wind gust reset and reporting problem can be resolved. If you should happen to examine my PWS 'KWAHOQUI3' on Weather Underground, you will see the Meteohub problem only on 26 and 27 August.

Terry

vlywst
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by vlywst » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Having the identical problem.:S Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

tsmedley
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by tsmedley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Boris fixed this right after my post, several versions ago. I'm currently running v4.5i, and wind reporting from the RainWise MkIII is fine. What version is your Meteohub?

vlywst
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by vlywst » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Just upgraded to 4.6 and have also been working with Boris. Will advise results

vlywst
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by vlywst » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Upgraded to 4.6 and all is well:)

thlmobile
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Wunderground wind gust with RainWise MkIII

Post by thlmobile » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 am

As far as I could see just logview protocol is documented, not the protocol of data which flow in via usb-serial connection of the USB-WDE1. But this shouldn't be too hard, I guess.