Peet Bros Ultimeter 100 - Connecting to Alix1d

Moderator: Mattk

StratoQ
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Peet Bros Ultimeter 100 - Connecting to Alix1d

Post by StratoQ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 am

My WMR 928 anemometer has reached its end of life. :( I am thinking of buying the basic Peet Bros Ultimeter 100 and connecting both it and my existing WMR928 to my Alix 1d (with meteohub on board).

There is a bit of a problem in that both weather stations connect via RS232 and there is only one db9 male connector on the alix 1d.

I currently have the WMR928 connected via the db9 connector on the Alix 1d. So I guess I will have to unplug this to make way for the db9 connection from the ultimeter 100 as I dont see any USB connection from the Ultimeter (it has to be db9?).

I do have a USB/serial connector I used previously for connecting a WMR928 to the USB on the back of the Sheevaplug so maybe that should work for the USB on the alix 1d?

So basically I have two questions which hopefully someone can reassure me.

1) Ultimeter to Alix 1d : Connect the db9f connector (from the Ultimeter) into the db9m on the Alix 1d. Meteohub set-up drop down box identifies two baud rates, 2400 and 19200. Which option should I use?

2) WMR 928 to Alix 1d : Use the serial/usb connector I had previously to connect the WMR 928 console to one of the 2 remaining USB slots on the Alix 1d. Do I then select "USB Serial" in the drop down box on the meteohub set-up?

Will this approach work? I am a little bit nervous of the USB serial connector as it did not work very satisfactorily with the Sheeevaplug. But maybe it will be fine with the Alix 1d :?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Peet Bros Ultimeter 100 - Connecting to Alix1d

Post by admin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 pm

ad 1)standard baus rate is 2400 unless you change something in your station

ad 2) RS232-USB converters are recognized as "USB serial" in Meteohub and
will get device names like /dev/ttyUSB0. RS232 directly conected to ALIX should
be addressed als "serial" with device "/dev/ttyS0".

StratoQ
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Peet Bros Ultimeter 100 - Connecting to Alix1d

Post by StratoQ » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Just an update on what I did with this.

I recently purchased the ultimeter weather station and connected the RS232 output that came with the ultimeter to an RS232/USB converter (I had obtained earlier, at a time when I was using a Sheevaplug device for my meteohub). This meant I could connect the Peet Bros Ultimeter station then to my Alix 1d, using a standard USB cable.

All worked fine and set-up within meteohub was easy. :D

So I now still have my original Oregon WMR928 connected to my Alix 1d via the RS232 and this produces my rainfall and temperature data. The newer Ultimeter weather station delivers the wind data to my meteohub thorugh the USB port on the Alix 1d. The two weather stations are working fine side by side.