LEDs blink in Meteosheeva

Moderator: Mattk

oporo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

LEDs blink in Meteosheeva

Post by oporo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi.

I bought a Meteosheeva ten years ago, and it has run ok until yesterday.

Now, the LEDs blink and I don't know what is the problem.

i send meteorological data to meteoclimatic, awekas and wunderground (with meteohub).

If I want to change meteosheeva with another micro-pc, what do you recommend?

Best regards.

BigAlT
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: LEDs blink in Meteosheeva

Post by BigAlT » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:31 am

I’d recommend you purchase a D-Link DIR 505 and load the Meteobridge firmware using the instructions on the forum. It’s the smallest unit and doesn’t need a separate power supply since it plugs directly into an outlet. You will need to purchase a new license as you cannot transfer your old license to a different platform. To get firmware/software updates you need to pay a renewal fee every two years but Boris is continually updating and improving the software.
The D-Link DIR-505 is no longer in production but can often be found on the internet auction site at very reasonable cost.

oporo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by oporo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:57 am

I have a Davis Vantage Vue and I am going to buy Meteobridge Nano (or Meteobridge Nano SD).

Do you think it's a good choice?

Thanks.

gust
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gust » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 am

Same led blinking problem at the cable socket connection after 9 years of good and continuous service on my Sheevaplug at the cable socket connection.
Station data is not updated any more.
I tried unplugging and plugging again.
I opened it, checked battery voltage (2.988 V) and did not see anything alarming.
4 Go SD card could be full? But I am denied the plug access to check the card.
The station is Vantage PRO2.
http://www.sevestre.net/Plug/indexSevestreFontanes.html

What can I do please? Any suggestions?

BigAlT
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by BigAlT » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:17 am

My sheevaplug died 4 years ago after running for 4 years. I replaced the SD card ( they have a limited lifespan due to the sheevaplug continuously writing data to the SD card which are not usually made with SLC memory ( which lasts much longer ) except for a few industrial SD cards. After a certain point the standard SD card will no longer write data without errors and this may cause the sheevaplug to crash. To find out if this is the problem, you would have to create a new bootable SD card by writing the downloadable Meteohub image to the new SD card as you did initially. Read the instructions on the Meteohub Wiki.
My new SD card only lasted a year so I switched to a Raspberry PI but the micro SD cards the Raspberry Pi uses also fail after some time and Boris is no longer supporting the Meteohub Platform. I eventually switched to a Meteobridge Nano SD and am very happy.

oporo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by oporo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:05 pm

Ok.

Thanks for your help. I have decided to buy a Meteobridge Nano SD.

Do you recommend buying it in a specific place?

Thank you very much.

BigAlT
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by BigAlT » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 pm

Check all of the online stores shown in the Wiki page & buy from the one with the lowest price including shipping ( I found the Meteobridge Shop to have the best price when I purchased ).Remember the Nano SD includes an SLC memory SD card already installed. The nano only accepts certain manufacturers SLC SD cards. The Nano ( not the SD model ) is exactly the same as the Nano SD but doesn’t come with an SD card so you can buy one of the supported SD cards ( listed on the WiKi page ) online and install it yourself using the instructions on the WiKi and save some $ if that interests you.
Good luck & enjoy. Boris has great customer service should you have any hardware problems.

gust
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gust » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 am

Thank you BigAIT. All this seems very familiar to you. It is not the same for me...
So to find out if my SD card is down, I have to initiate a new SD card with the Meteobub Wiki help.
Problem is that I have no idea how to do it and I have no idea how to handle the Meteohub Wiki either...
If I can be explained, may be I can understand.

BigAlT
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by BigAlT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Here is the Meteohub wiki webpage link. You need to follow the steps for downloading & installing the Meteohub image on the new SLC SD Card.
https://wiki.meteohub.de/Setup_SheevaPlug
If you’re not computer literate enough to follow the instructions, it’s best to purchase a Weatherbridge Pro which is already set up and you don’t need to format anything or install firmware or software.

gust
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by gust » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:10 pm

I went to have a look at https://wiki.meteohub.de/Setup_SheevaPlug.
Neither 4GB SLC SD card Transcend TS4GSDHC150 nor Integral Endurance 4GB are available any more from Amazon.
Is there any other suitable SD card please?
If I cannot work out this SD card set up, I will look further into this Weatherbridge Pro.

BigAlT
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by BigAlT » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:56 am

There are several Used 4GB SLC SD Cards for sale on EBay. How good they are or how much life is remaining is unknown. There are a few new 4GB SLC SD cards also available but they are very costly and your money would be better spent on getting a weatherbridge. If you’re comfortable with downloading the various versions of weatherbridge firmware and updating one of the weatherbridge compatible routers that can be purchased either new or used, that is the most inexpensive way. Otherwise you can purchase a Weatherbridge or Weatherbridge Pro from one of the sellers listed on the Meteobridge WiKi Page https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... _to_Buy%3F
Those are the only compatible hardware that support non Davis weather stations of which I am aware.
If you have a Davis weather station you could also use the Weatherbridge Nano, Nano SD or the WiFi Logger ( all of which install inside the Davis Console ).