So.. what's happened in the last 9 years?

Moderator: Mattk

Jeffsbach
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

So.. what's happened in the last 9 years?

Post by Jeffsbach »

Wow, my forum.meteohub account wasn't deleted!

9 years ago my remote cabin ISP went dark and so did my cabin LAN (incl. metohub & new SheevaPlug, just updated from NSLU2). Now that a new ISP has filled the void, I'm attempting to start up the LAN again. I was hoping I can just put some new batteries in the WMR-100 and the SheevaPlug will just start up. I thought I'd check in here just to see if someone knows if this should be more like (a) connecting a turntable to play old albums, or (b) trying to download source code that was stored on a 4mm data tape. (a) trivial vs. (b) exceedingly difficult and expensive.

Seriously, I just want to know if there have been major changes such that I'm better off saving time and just buying what seems to be commonly available internet connected weather station or should the restart be relatively easy (e.g., updating accounts with Weather Underground and DynDns, finding my meteohub password, etc.). Looking for high level opinions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: So.. what's happened in the last 9 years?

Post by Mattk »

I think you may find Weather Underground has changed a bit ... for the worse

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX »

I am sure there will be significant changes from your original setup.

As to wu, I lost my faith in th about 2-3 years ago.

We had 1 local station submitting temperatures that were approx -20c below the normal average of surround stations, WU were constantly emailed and told about this issue. There response wss to award a gold star for the privilege of submitting data whether is was correct or not.

The owner IBM, stripped the functionality down, after the take over, staff cuts and database changes. This has a serious impact on WU so much it became a joke.

Even now they still have teething problems, and though I submit data to them, I couldn't care less if WU fell off the face of the earth.

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by BigAlT »

You might consider upgrading to a meteobridge which has a much wider selection of weather networks you can upload to.