Which OS sensors are 1.0, 2.1 en 3.0 (protocol) and are ther

This is intended for discussion and information about the rfxcom receiver module

Moderator: Mattk

J.S.
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Which OS sensors are 1.0, 2.1 en 3.0 (protocol) and are ther

Post by J.S. » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Hej,

I think it is difficult to obtain the necessayr data of OS sensors when you wan to use them with RFXCOM. RFXCOM states (I am almost sure) that sensors with the aformentioned protocols are compatible. But it is difficult to check which are used by the various sensors. I know that protocol 3.0 is used by WMR-90/100/200.
But you begin to wonder: how about the UV 128 sensor, which is dirt cheap in the US (I can get it for 15 dollars, excluding sending to europe by a friend). Does this work with RFXCOM?

Does anybody now of a list where all sensors and all protocols used by them is mentioned?

Does THGR-800 (three channel sensor for WMR-90/100/200) work with RFXCOM. It is not mentioned on the compatibility list in the book.

Finally: are there tmeperature sensors with a sensor on a wire that can reach 70-100 m (for a sensor in a jar measurement)??

Thanks again!

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Which OS sensors are 1.0, 2.1 en 3.0 (protocol) and are t

Post by skyewright » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:49 pm

J.S. wrote:Does anybody now of a list where all sensors and all protocols used by them is mentioned?

Have you found
http://www.rfxcom.com/hsrfxcom.htm
That doesn't mention protocols, but it does mention an Oregon-UVN128 UV sensor.
Does THGR-800 (three channel sensor for WMR-90/100/200) work with RFXCOM. It is not mentioned on the compatibility list in the book.
I've seen links to an official OS compatibility chart on Weather-Watch.com - but that page no longer seems to exist.
Hunting around I found this
http://www.weathershack.com/oregon-scie ... chart.html
Maybe with a bit of interploation you can dig out the data you need?
e.g. the UVR128 seems to get listed with the '5 sensor' equipment, whihc also seems to use the "3 channel" sensors. Whether or not anything can be inferred form that I can't say.

You could also maybe ask RFXCOM support? I've always found them to be very helpful.

I'm sure others would be interested in your findings...

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by skyewright » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:49 am

You might also be interested in:

http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/manuals_Weather.htm

Which has quite a few manuals in PDF format.

The Technical Spec. section of the UVR138 manual mentions:

"Channel: 1"...

J.S.
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by J.S. » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:46 pm

Hej Skye...at the RFXCOM site the maker of these products (I guess) says it depens on the HS plug in and Meteohub. So may be docbee can tell us if it will work or not.
Do you know if I can use several identical temperature sensors and receive their separate signals?? I saw that you tested it and had a dropouts for 3 hours during 18 days, which was acceptable to you (and me)? Where the sensors identical?

Another question: suppose I keep the I/O button of the NSLU2 constantly pushed "in" will it work or will the unit reboot constantly??

Thanks again.

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by skyewright » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:10 pm

J.S. wrote:Do you know if I can use several identical temperature sensors and receive their separate signals?? I saw that you tested it and had a dropouts for 3 hours during 18 days, which was acceptable to you (and me)? Where the sensors identical?
3x standard THGR228N T/H extra sensors on channels 1, 2 and 3.
2x THC238 Temp probe extra sensors (which RFXCOM/Meteohub see as THWR288) on channels 2 & 3.

The clashes occur between sensors on the same channel.

I also get a clash between the WMR928 and WMR200 anemometers. That clash comes around slightly more often (but then they transmist more often, so that's not too surprising). In that case when theer is a clash the stronger WMR928 keeps getting through - i.e. it 'drowns out' the WMR200.

I once had the WMR200 rain gauge drop out unexpectedly. I now suspect that that may have been a clash between the WMR928 and WMR200 rain gauges - but that was before I worked out what was going on!

The empirical evidence suggests that it's the channel used by the sensor that counts when it comes to predicting clashes not the type of sensor.
Another question: suppose I keep the I/O button of the NSLU2 constantly pushed "in" will it work or will the unit reboot constantly??
I recall reading somewhere about an unofficial physical tweak for the NSLU2 to have it 'always on'. It may have been mentioned in a post on this forum?