compatible is 1-wire sensors ?

Hardware topics that do not fit in one of the other categories

Moderator: Mattk

jamar
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re:compatible is 1-wire sensors ?

Post by jamar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:56 am

skyewright wrote:I can't speak for Boris, but a significant factor is likely to be that 1-wire is compeltely unlike other weather stations in concept. 'Normal' weather stations have a fixed purpose and provide a restricted set of data in a closely defined manner. 1-wire on the other hand is essentially a kit of low level parts that can be handled and combined pretty much how you want. The DS1820 temp sensors are relatively straight forward, but beyond that it's often a case of measuring one or more parameters and adjusting or combining them in various ways to represent various weather attributes. For example I'm aware of at least 4 distinctly different anemometer set ups!
Hi,

okay, I can understand that with anemometers, but most of the sensors are simple to handle, as they returns just one number. Like the ones I'm using: Lighting detector & rain gauge - just simple counter which returns only number of pulses. Solar & UV detectors - simple AD converters, also returns only one numerical value. So, in that case, I don't think it will be more complicated to add these single value sensors than some complex weather station protocol vith number of various data...
skyewright wrote:I've managed an OWFS based meteohub plug-in and it works but it is very much a custom thing. Making it generic would require far more time than I can find. It may be that the most practical solution would be a meteohub plug-in that took output from one of the existing 1-wire systems and presented it to the meteohub system.
Can you please send me some more details about your OWFS plugin? I'll take look at it and at Meteohubs plugin system to see whether I'll be able to import 1-W data to MH somehow. Because I have more sensors on 1-Wire than on regular meteo station (and the new one - 1-wire snow meter is on the way right now), ability to read 1-wire data is a core function forme. Without it, Meteohub is no way to go for me...
Thanks for your info.

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by skyewright » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:42 am

jamar wrote:Can you please send me some more details about your OWFS plugin?
If you contact me via e-mail (you'll find a contact form on my weather website I'll send you the installation notes for setting up OWFS, the reduced version of the c++ code that I prepared for Meteohub user Matt, and the full c++ for the version I'm currently using (i.e. complete with barometer, anemometer, etc.).

Either should be readily adaptable to a different set of sensors with little more than some changes of the constants used to identify 1-wire devices and a bit of copy/paste/edit.
I'll take look at it and at Meteohubs plugin system to see whether I'll be able to import 1-W data to MH somehow.
I'm sure you'll be able to do that. :)

jamar
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jamar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:43 am

skyewright wrote:If you contact me via e-mail...
I've just sent you a message, thank you for your effort!
skyewright wrote:I'm sure you'll be able to do that. :)
I hope so ;-) Well, the c++ is not really unknown for me, so I think I'll be able to figure out how it works.

bigstorm
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bigstorm » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:13 pm

skyewright wrote:
jamar wrote:Can you please send me some more details about your OWFS plugin?
If you contact me via e-mail (you'll find a contact form on my weather website I'll send you the installation notes for setting up OWFS, the reduced version of the c++ code that I prepared for Meteohub user Matt, and the full c++ for the version I'm currently using (i.e. complete with barometer, anemometer, etc.).

Either should be readily adaptable to a different set of sensors with little more than some changes of the constants used to identify 1-wire devices and a bit of copy/paste/edit.
I'll take look at it and at Meteohubs plugin system to see whether I'll be able to import 1-W data to MH somehow.
I'm sure you'll be able to do that. :)
Hello Skyewright,

I'd like also to contact with you to try your plugin in one of my machines running with Meteohub , I'm interesting to add some 1-wire sensors (mainly temperature sensors) toghether with my weather stations in order to have more info of my living place.

I'm checking now the 1-wire sensors through a PC with Debian and owfs, but I'm interested to simplify and work only or with the NSLU2 or with ALix plataform.

If you have any inconvenient I'll send a email to talk about it.

thanks

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by skyewright » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:54 pm

bigstorm wrote:I'm checking now the 1-wire sensors through a PC with Debian and owfs, but I'm interested to simplify and work only or with the NSLU2 or with ALix plataform.
If you already know how to install owfs then you are well on the way and probably don't need most of the install notes that I sent to jamar (but you are welcome to them nonetheless). :)
If you have any inconvenient I'll send a email to talk about it.
If you contact me via e-mail (you'll find a contact form on my weather website) I'll send you what I sent to jamar, i.e. install notes for OWFS, plus two lots of C++ code (and compile notes). One set of code compiles into a simple plug-in with just a few basic sensors, the other is the code I'm currently using to read from quite a wide range of sensors, including a Vortex anemometer.

bigstorm
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bigstorm » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks for your quick replay, I'm sending later on the email.

I needed for sure more time and patience to install Debian in a NSLU2 than install owfs in three computers included the NSLU2....but for sure, your installing notes will be welcome to check if I've done my work well..

tparvais
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by tparvais » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 am

Hello

What is the actual status of integrating 1-wire in meteohub ?

Thank you

Thomas

bigstorm
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bigstorm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:32 am

Hello,

thanks to David (skyewright) I've implemented some 1-wire senors via plug-in and it's running well under Meteohub.

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by skyewright » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:29 pm

tparvais wrote:What is the actual status of integrating 1-wire in meteohub ?
There is no built-in support, however Meteohub provides an plug-in interface.

I have written (in c/C++) a plug-in to allow meteohub to log data read from my 1-wire devices.

Two (or three, if jamar is using it) other people are now running variants of my code.

Installation is not a "click a button" process, it involves using SSH to add packages to Meteohub, configure those packages, and then compile the plug-in (which needs editing to match each set of 1-wire devices).

I'd love to be able to offer something slicker, but I don't have the spare time for that.

I have some notes on instaling and configuring the necessary packages, but I'm no Linux expert, i.e. following those notes works for me, but if they don't work for you I'm unlikely to know why.

I'm happy to make my code available for adaptation, but editing that code to suit particular sets of 1-wire devices currently requires at least a small familiarity with C/C++ code.

If it was just a matter of reading from DS1820 temperature sensors, I could set up a variant of the code that would require only very minimal editing; just adding 1-wire ID's to a list. Might a temperature only 1-wire plug-in be of interest?

tparvais
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: compatible is 1-wire sensors ?

Post by tparvais » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Hello

It would be great if we can already have your solution to handle Temperature 1wire devices ! Then maybe I can help you later on for others sensors.

Can you please send me your doc/source packages ?

Thank you

skyewright
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: compatible is 1-wire sensors ?

Post by skyewright » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:36 pm

tparvais wrote:It would be great if we can already have your solution to handle Temperature 1wire devices ! Then maybe I can help you later on for others sensors.
Can you please send me your doc/source packages ?
Sorry, at the moment I don't have the time to set up the temp only variant I mentioned 18 minths ago(my doesn't time fly!), however you are welcome to it "as it is". Some parts of the install notes will refer to version numbers for some of the other packages that were okay 18 months ago, but that are now probably out of date.
If that's of interest please e-mail me via the link on my website and I'll dig out what I sent to the others.