Licenses doubt - how to transfer 2 licenses?

Hardware topics that do not fit in one of the other categories

Moderator: Mattk

MeteoSevilla
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Licenses doubt - how to transfer 2 licenses?

Post by MeteoSevilla » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:09 am

Hi,

I have 3 pieces of hardware and 2 Meteohub licenses.

Hardware:
- Linksys NSLU2 (licensed) in a remote place.
- eBox 3300 256MB RAM 2xRS232 (licensed). Here now.
- eBox 3300 512Mb RAM 2xRS232 + wifi. Here now.

The issue is that I have NSLU2 working properly at about 1400 Km far away from me, now. And I go to that place about three times per year.

Here with me, I have 2 eBoxes. Well, I would like to replace the NSLU2 hardware by the licensed eBox when going there (4 months aprox.), but now, I want to transfer the license from the 256Mb ebox to the 512Mb one. And in summer, transfer the license from NSLU2 to 256Mb eBox.

The question is, could I do that? If I transfer from an eBox (256Mb) to another then the fisrt eBox will be in blacklist and it could not have a new Meteohub license any more?

How many license transfers are allowed?

Thanks,
Victor

HeinrichH
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re:Licenses doubt - how to transfer 2 licenses?

Post by HeinrichH » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:44 pm

When I had to exchange one of my licenses I made a mistake with entering the system code in the field which putted my system on the black list but with the help of Boris the system was taken of the black list so I think Boris can help you with this problem, just ask him after the first transfer to remove the system from the black list.
Checking the remote....

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Yes, exactly. I can de-blacklist your system. No problem, just tell me when I should do it. Just tell me System-IDs and MACs of the two systems you want to have activated and also System ID and MAC of the one not longer needed.

Blacklisting might appear to be a pain, but it is needed to make license transfers possible by a web interface without having me to manually deal with it. If that wouldn't happen, one could generate an infinite number of activation codes from the one code someone has purchased.

MeteoSevilla
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by MeteoSevilla » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:46 pm

Right. Thanks HeinrichH and Boris. I feel better knowing that there is a solution :)

The steps I'm going to take are:
1.- Probably today at night, I will transfer the license from 256MB eBox to 512MB eBox via web through the x86->x86 application. This will take the 256Mb eBox to the black list, and

2.- In summer (this is when I will replace NSLU2 by the 256MB eBox which has been in black list from tonight) I'll go in touch with Boris to tell him both System-IDs and MACs, taking then NSLU2 to black list and removing 256MB eBox from it.

OK, I think it is a good way to proceed.

It's absolutely understandable the method of transfering licenses.

Boris, I have other question. As I said, tonight I want to replace just the hardware but keeping all weather data and configurations, so could I remove the CF card from 256MB eBox and insert it in 512MB eBox without having any other considerations?

Regards,
Victor

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:16 pm

if both eboxes are of same type, this will work.
interchanging between ebox2300 or 3300 or 4300 might make some tweaks necessary. If it is just a variation on RAM, this will not be of any harm.

MeteoSevilla
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by MeteoSevilla » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi,

License transfer between 2 eBoxes were as expected :)
And CF card from the fisrt was valid for the second, even when second eBox has wifi capabilities.

Regards.
Victor