Allwinner A10 - Mini X

Allwinner A10 systems

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Allwinner A10 - Mini X

Post by admin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:31 am

I am currently working on a port to the Mini X systems based on Allwinner A10 SOCs.
These are world wide available on ebay (search for "android minix").
From my perspective this makes a Meteohub port to the less capable Raspberry PI obsolet.

Main Features:
  • 1GHz clock speed (variable clocked)
  • 512 MB RAM
  • one USB port (USB OTG port is not supported by kernel I work with)
  • integrated WLAN
  • HDMI output for setting up system initially with a HDMI monitor and USB keyboard connected when entering WLAN credentials
  • just a few watts of power consumption
  • Meteohub resides on a 8GB microSD card (preferred an industrial one)
First beta port is available. If someone would like to test on his MiniX, please drop a note.

Form factor is really nice:
minix0.jpg
minix0.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
minix1.jpg
minix1.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
minix2.jpg
minix2.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
When you want to connect more than one USB device plus LAN, this might come handy (search ebay for "LAN Adapter 3 Port USB Hub"):
lan3usb.jpg
lan3usb.jpg (19.92 KiB) Viewed 5298 times

netsigi
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Allwinner A10 - Mini X

Post by netsigi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:21 am

I am currently working on a port to the Mini X systems based on Allwinner A10 SOCs.
From my perspective this makes a Meteohub port to the less capable Raspberry PI obsolet.
Yes, looks sexy. But it is another league than raspberry. Yes, raspberry pi has a "bricoleur" aura.
But i believe it is neverthless less capable. It is very affordable, has pins for directly attaching sensors and has a Ethernet port, has even 0.5G Ram too.
And i am pretty sure raspberry would be a prominent platform to help spread meteohub. According to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
As of September 2012, about 500,000 boards have been sold.
Wishlist for meteohub:
2mload.png
2 month load
2mload.png (10.76 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
  • -No load rising during the month
    -Actual OS (still Linux meteohub 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-486 #1 Mon Oct 13 06:47:02 UTC 2008 i586)
    -split OS/Application an installable package would even make the developer's live a bit easier...
But anyway i will not forget to thank for the great work You've done so far!!!

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Allwinner A10 - Mini X

Post by admin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:14 pm

@netsigi: Regaring your wishes:
a) load rising during the month is a no-brainer, what harm does that produce?
b) recent Meteohub ports do use recent debian distributions, but updating working setups will burn lots of my time, will introduce new bugs and brings zero benefit for 90% of the x86 users. Yes, users that want to install their own add-ons will have it more easy with current versions, but that does not match the effort by any means. Especially the x86 port has to work on 6 aged platforms, that will be hell to port. As ARM clearly passes the old X86 boards anyway, this is not an investment I would like to undertake.
c) often discussed, for 90% of users that would be a step back and would introduce tons of new types of inconsistencies and bug reports. Meteohub is an appliance having all included you need, not an add-on to install on top of a linux stack. That design is not choosen by accident ;-)