Allwinner A10 systems

Moderator: Mattk

RobCampbell
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Can't get mhminix-v4.9q-v3.img to work with Mini X Plus 1GB

Post by RobCampbell » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi,

I have got a Mini X Plus 1GB and can't get it to work with mhminix-v4.9q-v3.img. Does this image work with the Mini X Plus 1GB and if so could you give me some pointers of how to diagnose the problem?

With the SD card removed, the Mini X Plus 1GB boots into Android and when I insert the SD card I can see all the files on it. However when I power up the Mini X with the SD inserted the LED turns red but the screen stays blank even if left for several hours.

I have tried two 8GB SD cards one is a class 10 ultra and the other is a class 4 and I have tried copying the image onto the cards using both dd on OSX and Image Writer on Windows - both completed copying without errors.

The specs of the Mini X are as follows:

Mini Xplus H24 TVBOX Blue
4GB NAND
1GB DDR

Device Name: Mini Xplus
Model number: H24
Android version: 4.0.4
Baseband Version: 1.2
Kernal version: 3.0.8 android@android-desktop #2 Thu Aug 23 12:34:57 CST 2012
Build number: IMM76D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob.
Last edited by RobCampbell on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rainman32
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Can't get mhminix-v4.9q-v3.img to work with Mini X Plus

Post by Rainman32 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 am

Is that the one that has both HDMI and AV connector? you may want to try both to see if video signal is coming out other port than where you expect.

Otherwise there may be some help on Miniand forum, here: Minix Bootable SD Image Instructions Needed

RobCampbell
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by RobCampbell » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:53 pm

@Rainman32 Good idea - I hadn't tried the AV port but unfortunately no signal there either. Thanks for the link to the Miniand forum, there might be something useful there.

nordstrandqueen
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by nordstrandqueen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi,
seems that I have the same problem. I also have a Mk805 with 1GB. With Android it works, but it doesn't boot from the SD card with the meteohub image.
What I red in the Miniand forum post that rainman has linked is very disappointing... I would be glad about every tipp.
stef
weather station newbie, but IT & web pro
TE831X + SheevaPlug + meteohub

Rainman32
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Rainman32 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Digging around the Miniand forums some more it looks like it could be a bootloader issue. There is a post here where different bootloaders are used for hardware platforms.. who knows this may even work for Meteohub which is also based on Debian.

Debian Wheezy LXDE armhf build

It would be wonderful for Boris to chime in at this point!

nordstrandqueen
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by nordstrandqueen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi Rainman,
thanks for the link and trying to help us, but I have absolutely no idea how to use that bootloader.
What do I have to do with it?
I've downloaded the version for Mini-X 1GB now and copied it onto my SD card following the instructions on the page you have linked. But what should I do next? Putting the card into the Mini-X again and starting it seems to do nothing.
Any help would be great!
stef

Bruce
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Bruce » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:09 pm

I have same issue with the boot image seeming to do nothing as others have stated here.

Boris, is there some input you can provide those of us with hardware that will not function correctly with the boot image (mhminix-v4.9q-v3.img) you have on the web site?

nordstrandqueen
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by nordstrandqueen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Obviously it's necessary to make partitions on the SD card and copy not only the os image (meteohub, lubuntu or whatever linux you need), but also an extra bootloader onto the SD card, because by default the MK805 won't boot anything from SD card.

But I don't know how to do that, I've found no good howto up to now.

nordstrandqueen
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by nordstrandqueen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 am

Hi,
I'm still messing around with the installation.
As meteohub seems to be a little bit tricky, I try to get any Linux running from the MicroSD card on my MK805 as a first step.

BTW: There is only the img file for ARM from Meteohub and I've found no way to extract that. Can I get the directories from anywhere?

Ok, back to my installation troubles:
In the meanwhile I set up a virtual machine with Kubuntu on my MacBook, so I can use a Linux system for working on the SD card - so I'm having all possibilities now (at least in theory :D ).

Yesterday there was a first little success. I followed these instructions (creation process):
https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/d ... rmhf-build
... and for the first time ever my MK805 is booting at least *anything* from the card. So this bootloader seems to work.
But the screen output doesn't work, I only get a black screen with light horizontal stripes....

I'll keep on trying, but if anyone of you can help, that would be great of course!

All the best,
Stef

Rainman32
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Rainman32 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Hello, I will try to post some more specific suggestions later but here is a great resouce in the meantime.. You are on the right track, what you need is a working boot environment for your hardware and then the rest of Meteohub should boot fine as the Root FS.

FirstSteps - linux-sunxi

I suspect the pieces missing here are specifically mini-x-1gb board type build for u-boot and perhaps some tweaking of script.bin (system.bin on Meteohub)

Rainman32
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Rainman32 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 am

I was able to do some testing with a Hackberry board that I just received today. as expected it did boot up OK.. but as was actually hoped, there were hardware issues, specifically the keyboard and mouse did not work! replacing the boot files made the keyboard and mouse come to life, but video didn't work! finally, replaced system.bin and all was well. Further testing found that only replacing just the system.bin worked also.

So here are a couple of files for testing, these are compiled straight from the git source without any modifications.
hackberry.zip
(7.02 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
mini-x-1gb.zip
(7.28 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
On your meteohub card first partition, rename "system.bin" to "system.bin.old". Download and unzip the appropriate file (ie "mini-x-1gb.bin"), copy to card and rename to "system.bin". That's it, please let us know if this works for you! If this does work, I will be happy to make additional system.bin hardware files available as requested.

Rainman32
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Rainman32 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:42 am

Further confirmation of the system.bin file being the one thing that has to change for different platforms. This is now tested and verified with a Cubieboard.. Cubie will not work at all with the stock file, but simply replacing the one file with the correct version from linux-sunxi and it works wonderfully.
cubieboard.zip
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
On your meteohub SD card first partition, rename "system.bin" to "system.bin.old". Download and unzip the appropriate file (ie "cubieboard.bin"), copy to card and rename to "system.bin". That's it

legendwtgt
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by legendwtgt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi

I have the same problem with a Mini X Plus 1GB. I've downloaded the mini-x-1.zip file referenced above and replaced the system.bin file with it. Box still has the same symptoms - red power light stays on, no video out (I'm using the AVout as I don't have a HDMI input device to hand). Without the SD card install, power light turns blue and box starts up a-ok.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

nordstrandqueen
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by nordstrandqueen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 pm

I've often red about the color of the LED, but the one I have is always blue. I've never ever seen it red, so obviously it's blue only.
I think that there are a lot of different 'Mini X Plus'. They are sold with the same name and seem to be identically on the first look, but in fact they seem to be slightly different. Otherwise we all won't experience different problems with the same thing.

For sorry I don't have enough time at the moment to try getting my Mini X working. Too much work and then I go to holidays, so I can't mess around with it again before end of March. (In fact, I put it away into a cupboard because I've spent too much time with this thingy... can't let it go as long as it lies around in sight :D )
But maybe I can post some photos of my device later, so you can tell me if you have the same or not.

Stef

Rainman32
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Rainman32 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:35 pm

I am not sure about the LED, although I have seen blue on the Mele which does flash red when running a Nand update so maybe the color is indicating load from Nand vs SD card. Anyhow, you did hit on the issue that you are using AV out, this along with all of the other hardware parameters are defined in the system.bin file, which is why a different file is needed for each different hardware. Please try the attached file which has been modified to use AV (TV) output at 720p60.
script-mini-x-1gb.zip
(7.3 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
On your meteohub SD card first partition, rename "system.bin" to "system.bin.old". Download and unzip the appropriate file (ie "script-mini-x-1gb.bin"), copy to card and rename to "system.bin". That's it

For those interested in more information, here is the guide with all of the available parameters: http://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide#12.1_.5Bdisp_init.5D