TP-Link 3020 - Something strange **solved**

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

NormanW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

TP-Link 3020 - Something strange **solved**

Post by NormanW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:03 pm

At 00:01 today (10/09/19) my Meteobridge went down. I've spent about 4 hours this afternoon trying to recover it and get it transmitting data again.

When I eventually was able to log in, the memory in meteobridge had been wiped. No station data, no upload data, nothing had been retained.

I set about making all the connections again, then did a save and re-boot. I can again see the TP-Link Meteobridge router again, but now I can't log in.

When I enter my password (from a .txt list so I know it is correct, it says "incorrect username or password".

I did notice that the firmware had been updated on 08/09/19 and wonder if this is something. But How do I recover or change my password? The wiki doesn't seem to cover this question.

NormanW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: TP-Link 3020 - Something strange - no progress

Post by NormanW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Another couple of hours of trying everything and No Progress!

I tried meteobridge/meteobridge as the user name/pw, as suggested in the wiki. That got me to Meteobridge landing page (FW1.2) All black.

I went to the cloud and created then saved the tgz file to a FAT32 memory stick.

I unplugged the unit, put the stick in the TP-Link USB slot and then powered it on again. After 15 minutes the light is still fast blinking.

Turned it off and connected the LAN. - No connection. There was no log written to the memory stick, so repeated the process. Left the light blinking like crazy for 30 minutes.

.tgz file does not seem to have loaded. When I try and access meteobridge, I get taken straight to the black landing page again - http://192.168.0.106/cgi-bin/meteobridge.cgi

I can see the TP-Link ip in the list, so DCHP must be working, but I cannot access the Meteobridge unit.

What do I try next please?

hymrog
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Re: TP-Link 3020 - Something strange

Post by hymrog » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:06 am

Hello

Have you tried following the below steps?

Reset to default network operation is done by pressing the button and keeping it pressed until LED flashes once. Now release button and system will restart with default network configuration, which is LAN DHCP client mode. Network settings done before are still stored inside Meteobridge when unit has started in LAN DHCP client mode, but these will need additional "Save" clicks to be made active again.

Reset password is done by pressing button and keeping it pressed until LED flashes for a second time. Meteobridge will reboot and will be available with default password via ssh (user root, password meteobridge) and http (user meteobridge, password meteobridge).

Reset to factory defaults is done by pressing the button and keeping it pressed until LED has flashed 5 times. This will delete all user settings changes made to the file system of the unit. Stored historical data will be erased. License will remain untouched. Unit will reboot automatically with default network settings and password.

The info can be found here

https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... ng_Started

g

NormanW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by NormanW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:49 am

Yes, tried all three suggestions, multiple times All I kept getting back to was the "Black screen of death" - Meteobridge Landing Page (FW 1.2)

I left the TP-Link connected overnight and after 8 hours, it reconnected by itself and I was able to get in and set everything up again.

Left it running for a couple of hours to make sure everything was working and it was.

The TP-Link 3020 doesn't behave as described in the Meteobridge wiki!

Came back to revert from cable LAN to wireless LAN and the dam thing has thrown a wobbler again.

Set the LAN settings up
Pressed save
Backed up the settings
Pressed Save and Rebbot

TP-Link went down. I can see its IP address again, a different one, but I can't access the device and the LED under the button is flashing rapidly

Pressed button and held until I got a single flash, then slow flash, which changed to rapid flashing. Logging in to the IP gets the black screen again.

Removed the LAN cable, powered off then on got the slow then rapid flash, but the IP was not showing

Powered off, reconnected the LAN cable, restated. Can see the IP but logging in to the IP just brings up the black screen.

The details are:

IFCONFIG:
br-lan Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 64:66:B3:42:76:66
inet addr:192.168.0.102 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3259 errors:0 dropped:20 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:140 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:182133 (177.8 KiB) TX bytes:16020 (15.6 KiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 64:66:B3:42:76:66
RX packets:3281 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:2 frame:0
TX packets:140 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:235595 (230.0 KiB) TX bytes:16020 (15.6 KiB)
Interrupt:4

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

RESOLV.CONF:
# Interface lan
nameserver 192.168.0.2

ROUTE:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default 192.168.0.2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 br-lan
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br-lan

NSLOOKUP:
Server: 192.168.0.2
Address 1: 192.168.0.2

I'm going to leave it and see if it reconnects on its own again. Most unsatisfactory!

NormanW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by NormanW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Another hour and a half trying every way I can, following the Wiki to get my device back on line and no progress.

I've got back to the "Nuclear" option, of the cloud simulator config.tgz file and rebooting the model with a USB stick loaded with the file.

Is the TP-Link 3020 still supported? It is not behaving as the Wiki describes!

The Wiki says:
<<Cloud Simulator for Network Configuration
If Meteobridge client cannot connect to your LAN or your LAN does not provide a DHCP service, large LED will not leave fast-blinking mode. To get network settings fixed, you can define the correct network parameters in a simulator in the Internet, which works as follows.

Please browse to config.meteobridge.com. There you will find a simulation of the Meteobridge web interface. Please select the "Setup Network" tab and configure settings as needed for your specific network situation.
When settings are done, please press "save" and change to "Download" tab which will cause your browser to start downloading a configuration file named "config.tgz".
Please store that file (as is, do not unpack) on a USB stick formatted as FAT32 and start the Meteobridge with the USB stick plugged into the USB port of Meteobridge. When network settings are right, Meteobridge will stop with slow and fast blinking and turn on the LED constantly.
You can now remove the USB stick, it is no longer needed. When you restart this Meteobridge client with the same USB stick inserted, file "config.tgz" on USB stick will not be used again as it has been marked as used for this specific Meteobridge unit. Nevertheless, the stick can still be used to setup networking of other Meteobridge clients. The stick also holds a log file which reports if an update of network settings was applied.>>

All I have got is the very rapid blinking light again. Wish someone could help solve this problem.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:07 pm

When you did a reset to factory defaults it needs to be connected to your router via LAN cable. When it is stuck at fast blinking it cannot connect to to the Internet, because router is not providing correct IPs via DHCP or your Meteobridge has not been set to factory defaults correctly or because the network port of the MR3020 has failed.

NormanW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by NormanW » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Thank you. I know the Network Port has not failed because I can see the IP of the device when I scan the network with Advanced IP scanner.

My process is:

My process:
Power off TP-Link
Unplug LAN
re plug in LAN
Power on TP-Link - Slow blinking followed by rapid blinking button LED. No other LED's lit
Nothing happens if I press the button while slow blinking
end process.

Power off TP-Link
Unplug LAN
re plug in LAN
Power on TP-Link - Slow blinking followed by rapid blinking button LED. No other LED's lit

Wait for TP-Link to go through POST Slow blinking becomes rapid blinking button LED. No other LED's lit

Press and hold button for five light flashes
Release button - slow blinking

Button light changes to solid

Run IP scan - same IP allocated as previously

Black screen and password box

meteo bridge/meteobridge used

immediate Black screen of death.

IFCONFIG:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 64:66:B3:42:76:66
inet addr:192.168.0.102 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
RX packets:3498 errors:0 dropped:20 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:198 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:332472 (324.6 KiB) TX bytes:21800 (21.2 KiB)
Interrupt:4

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:59 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:59 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:4024 (3.9 KiB) TX bytes:4024 (3.9 KiB)

RESOLV.CONF:
search lan
nameserver 127.0.0.1

ROUTE:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default 192.168.0.2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

NSLOOKUP:
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost

NormanW
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: TP-Link 3020 - Something strange - SOLVED

Post by NormanW » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:36 pm

After three days I have now got my TP-Link MR3020 V1 working again and transmitting dtata as it should.

Yesterday I re-flashed the firmware using the "OPENWRT" process, from the link on the "Black page of death"

The file I downloaded is meteobridge-tl-mr3020-v1.5.bin

Re-flashing went without a problem, but I still was unable to log in to the menu.

After leaving the unit powered on and connected overnight, this morning the rapid flash had changed to steady with the power light lit.

I still couldn't log in to the menu, just getting the Black Screen of Death.

As a last resort I decided to try once more to use a cloud config.tgz file, so created a new one.

I was able to install this into the TP-Link without a problem.

I could only get a fast flashing light, but OPENWRT showed the new configuration had been installed.

In the TP link manual I read that to go back to default settings, when you have a fast flash, press and hold the button and count 15 single flashes, then release.

I did this, and about 30 minutes later I had a row of solid lights on the router.

I was then able to log in using the basic password, set the unit up, new password etc and save and reboot.

The router then started to upload data to the various websites and is still doing so.

I do not propose to try and active the WiFi and will leave it as a cable connection. If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

So it has taken three days of intensive work, but I have a functioning system again.

weatherist34
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by weatherist34 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:07 pm

good to hear you resolved it just as a precaution if you haven't already set under system tab stick to current version 4.xx (Version Control) unless you see something specific to your weather hardware released in a firmware revision that truly wont wont fix it if it isnt broken...happy days ..brian

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:42 pm

@NormanW: I can't follow the steps you did to get operational again and some of what you describe will definitely do nothing good (15 blinks holding reset button pressed, for example). But good to hear that you are operational again.

@all: I just want do warn others to follow the steps NormanW describes, they are not working. Please follow instructions on "www.meteobridge.com" in "getting started" section. Thanks.