New Licensing?

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

LAWx
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

New Licensing?

Post by LAWx » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I had a power outage this weekend and when everything came back up my license was gone and the license page was telling me that my license had expired two years ago and that I need to pay 19 Euros to continue. I've had at least 6 power outages in the last two years and never received this message before, so it's something new. I think it's pretty dishonest of meteohub to retroactively invalidate licenses. Please at least notify users that if they don't change the default settings on their meteobridges that they might wake up one day to find you've disabled their license.

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: New Licensing?

Post by Mattk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:50 pm

The license may have expired but the perpetual operation should still exist. Renewing the license is only an option and does not affect the ongoing operation of the unit. There are other factors involved here if the unit isn't running.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: New Licensing?

Post by admin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:16 pm

As Mattk posted correctly, your license is not disabled. Please note that NO ONE WILL EVER HAVING HIS LINCENSE DISABLED. LICENSES ARE PERPETUAL. Only thing that runs out past version 3.2 is access new updates, if your license is more than 2 years old.

Having that settled, I would like to understand what blocks your Meteeobridge from operation as it does before the power outage. What I expect to happen is that it loads the latest version accessible to you (which is final version 3.2). When you have not seen the update license option message on system tab before, then you had an older version (before the final 3.2) running. I don't think this newer version does show any short-comings compared to the one you used previously. The final versions are usually ones that are known to be bug free (as far as one can say for that moment) and pretty stable.

As questions / misundertandings regarding update licenses show up again and again, I summarized the information about licensing here: http://wiki.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... ense_Terms

As licensing has been discussed before I close this thread.