WARNING: New MR3020 hardware version 3 not yet supported

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

WARNING: New MR3020 hardware version 3 not yet supported

Post by admin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:55 am

TP-Link did it again, they change hardware but keep naming it MR3020.

Currently there are showing up some TP-Link MR3020 variants labeled "version 3" which are not supported by Meteobridge. These units are equipped with a slightly updated Atheros SOC and can handle WiFi up to 300 Mbit/s (former was 150 Mbit/s). We are trying to get a hold on these new models to check how we can make a firmware image that runs fine on those. But this will take time as we might be forced to step away from openwrt and to move to lede as the base OS.

For the time being, please just avoid these V3 models. Model indication is given on the data sticker at the back of the unit.
It seems that these units do not allow to flash the Meteobridge firmware, so at least you are not at risk of bricking it.

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 00.57.46.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 00.57.46.png (251.13 KiB) Viewed 1469 times

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: WARNING: New MR3020 hardware version 3 not supported

Post by admin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:57 pm

In the meantime I have a MR3020 V3 here to test with. The unit does have a new SOC. Therefore the current Meteobridge image will not work. I made some progress to attach a serial console to the new model, understand how new images can be flashed with TFTP and see that the new model has 64 MB RAM and 8 MB Flash which is double the RAM and flash the old version has. That looks promising as more RAM and flash is always a good thing and the MT7628NN SOC inside might also not show the USB serial problem that did make the Atheros chips in need of a USB hub.

But, it will be a long and not guaranteed successful road to put Meteobridge on it.

For the time being, please don't buy a version 3 by accident. You can distinguish the new ones by the "Ver:3.0" sticker on the package and the front of the housing shows a slightly different TP-Link logo and has a "300Mbps" text phrase on it. Stay away from those!

Sticker of version 3 models:
stickerv3.png
stickerv3.png (326.92 KiB) Viewed 1401 times

Logo and text on front of the housing:
coverv3.png
coverv3.png (478.39 KiB) Viewed 1401 times

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: WARNING: New MR3020 hardware version 3 not supported

Post by admin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 am

We found a way to flash a new firmware image to the MR3020v3. As firmware images you can install by the web interface of a stock MR3020v3 are signed by TP-Link there will be no way to just upload a Meteobridge firmware image that way. What works is...
  • install a TFTP server on your host/pc (which can be rather easily setup on all Linux and Windows systems)
  • put the firmware image there and give it the file name "tp_recovery.bin"
  • give TFTP server the IP 192.168.0.225 (MR3020v3 can read firmware image only from this IP)
  • connect MR3020v3 via Ethernet to your TFTP server (directly or via your LAN)
  • power cycle MR3020 while holding the large button on the top pressed. Keep it pressed for about 15 seconds after power cycle

Doing so will flash the new firmware image to the device.

Currently I am working on a Meteobridge firmware image, but as I have to setup a complete new compile chain because this new device needs me switching from openwrt to lede this will take some time. Basic device support (buttons, LEDs) of MR3020v3 on lede is mainly done and that also is not that easy, because there is no pre-built lede support for MR3020v3, we are the first on that. :D