meteotemplate upload

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

ruzzi.f@gmail.com
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

meteotemplate upload

Post by ruzzi.f@gmail.com » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:51 pm

Hello,
I have meteobridge uploading meteo data in underground and meteotemplate, mainly to show wind condition.
I think that the most important think to make a weather site nice is to make the user feel that data are really fresh; for this reason I like the Underground "rapid fire" which updates every 5 seconds. On meteotemplate I can update maximum every 10 seconds.
How could it be possible to update also on meteotemplate every 5 seconds?
Thanks for helping
Fabio

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: meteotemplate upload

Post by admin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 pm

Depending on the Internet speed of your location and the number of additional services you might have defined on the Meteobridge this will lead to queuing up of uploads. Therefore, we have set limits on upload frequency. BTW: 10 secs is not bad imho ;-)

ruzzi.f@gmail.com
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by ruzzi.f@gmail.com » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:02 am

boris,
you could please add the 5 seconds option for those people who do not have this speed issue? anybody would choose in base of it's own necessity.
the worst thing for a meteo site is to appear static. when you have changes every 5 sec everything looks exciting. i think it is the secret of WU.
thanks
fabio

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 am

So do we want something to "look exciting" or actually be right? As for WU they appear to be having a few "issues" lately with cutting services

ruzzi.f@gmail.com
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by ruzzi.f@gmail.com » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:36 am

matt,
I bought 9 meteobridges (6 normal and 3 pro) so I really believe you have a great product!!!!
at the same time I studied all features and I noticed that regarding wind you can help to improve.
Wind (intensity and direction) is the only one meteo data which is frequently changing and can give opportunity to make the site “moving” with updates insead being static, so we should take this opportunity!!!!!
i am already updating the meteotemplate every 5 seconds through HTTP REQUEST and works great! I also am sending the wind0dir-avg10 and wind0wind-max10 data which should be sent via API I think.
I wish all this could be choosen by default and would help us create great weather site.
can you help?
regards
fabio

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:53 am

When I get it right, you already have a 5 second update solution by feeding Meteotemplate with a dedicated template and HTTP requests.

As I already faced stalling Meteobridge setups caused by doing too heavy HTTP requests with tons of variables included and not so great Internet connections on a 5 second interval, I am reluctant to make this available by a simple drop-down which will run quite some users into trouble. Please see it from this perspective as well.

ruzzi.f@gmail.com
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by ruzzi.f@gmail.com » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:27 pm

boris it is true that i have a solution, but it is not optimal since I need to send http request every 5 seconds on top of the standard update every 10 seconds....
I do not understand very well your point considering that to WU meteobridge already have the option to send data every 5 seconds, I am using that possibility and works great!!!
thanks
fabio

jachym
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jachym » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:18 am

I have users with 2-3s updates (using other SW) and in more than 50% cases this was causing issues, if not with overall speed, it caused problems with rain being copied to the next day because at midnight the api was not processed completely when another update was triggered and so the cache from previous day with the rain value was copied to the next day making rain data highly inaccurate.