TP-Link TL-WR902AC now supported

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

TP-Link TL-WR902AC now supported

Post by admin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 pm

New hardware TL-WR902AC from TP-Link has been added to the list of supported devices. Hardware section and Preparing Hardware section are updated and explain how to flash these devices.

The WR902AC offers twice the RAM and Flash-ROM compared to MR3020, which makes developing SW for it a bit more relaxed. Feature-wise Meteobridge on this device is identical to all the other non-pro Meteobridge platforms. While WR902AC is able to operate on the 5 GHz band Meteobridge is currently only operating in the standard 2.4 GHz Band. This shouldn't be an issue as there are rarely any 5 GHz only WLANs and 2.4 GHz has anyway better RF reach and we don't really need top speed for Meteobridge operation.

If the WR902AC also needs a USB hub to connect to USB 1.x weather stations is not known yet. It also has an Atheros chip, but it is another model and may be the drivers for this model do it right now... we 'll see.

The port to WR902AC made switching from openwrt to lede on OS level necessary, so we had to setup a complete new compile chain. Therefore, the port might still have some bugs. If you discover some bugs, please report and please be a bit patient if fixing takes a few days. Currently the WR902AC is sold as hardware revision 1.x. You can see from the TP-Link pages that they are preparing to release a version 3 model, which seems to use different hardware. So take your chance to get a version 1 WR902AC which are widely available on world-wide level right now.

WR902AC-350.png
WR902AC-350.png (83.87 KiB) Viewed 1801 times

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: TP-Link TL-WR902AC now supported

Post by admin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:18 pm

First tests give good hope, that a USB hub might NOT be needed for WR902AC. :D

Andyk1
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 am

I just received my TL-WR902AC Ver 1.0 via amazon.com for $45.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5 ... UTF8&psc=1 and free one day shipping since I am a prime user.

First impression before I changed the rom is this is a so so router. I would not use it period as a home or backup. I have a 300mg connection through cox cable here in the US and Cat7 cable connected to the router (Asus RT-AC88U) I consistently get 325 to 350Mbps download and 10-12Mbps upload due to upload restrictions here.

With the TL-WR902AC before changing roms the best I could get direct connect to 88u is 20-24Mbps and on WiFi AC between 1 and 5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload on http://www.speedtest.net. I was somewhat hoping to get at least 50mbps Download and 10Mbps upload and I tried this over and over 15-20 times to get the best speeds possible and it just does not do the job as advertised for me anyway.

That really is not the point of this post since my intentions are and where a Meteobridge device with double the ram where upload speed of a few Kbps is not an issue. Installing the Rom worked flawlessly other than needing to mention the Main router (Asus 88U) also needs a reboot after and I am not sure if it needed to change the DHCP table or just a fluke. Anyway, after a reboot of both setup was straight forward easy. I am now the proud other of a TL-MR3020 and a TL-WR902AC. Not sure what I am going to use the 3020 for and maybe just a backup for the 902AC or run them both with half load on each. I don't know yet.

Once again... Setup, Installation of Ver 1.1.bin was easy and painless. Small setup and configuration. Everything so far works the same as 3.5 as I have not run across any bugs yet but then again it hasn't been running more than 20-30 min feeding weather data to about 8-10 sites. Will keep everyone informed. And before I forget... the directions say the TL-WR902AC will reboot after installation but it does not. A manual reboot of everything will solve that.

Good job and CUDO's to the writer for porting this to a device with double the ram and memory. Let see what good things can happen with this device.

WU = KOKNICOM2
CWOP/APRS = FW2084

Andy

P.S. I could not test if USB supported 1.1 devices as I do not have one to test so maybe someone could fill in that gap in testing.

Andyk1
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:00 am

18 Hours after set up observation.

So far wired sends to only a test Wunderground account. The 902ac is performing flawlessly.

However.. Testing the wireless mode on 2.4 ghz was not successful at all. Before installing 902ac ver1.1 I tested the router for what it was intended for (A small wireless travel router) and it did work as such for testing purposes both 2.4. and 5ghz modes. In testing as a meteobridge it could not find my 2.4ghz side of my main home router (Asus RT-AC88U) but.... it did see the 5 Ghz side and allowed me to connect to it but not successful in sending WU weather data.

Manually adding my 2.4 router login data was also successful but did not send data automatically. When I would do a refresh in the live data page it would then update the WU site but only for that one manual refresh.

I tried every way I knew how from reinstalling to forcing and I noticed the led's on the 902 do not blink in wireless mode or a fast blink of the reset led only and steady on of the power led. I have tried manual reboots to rebooting inside the software which by the way did work but not a lasting connection to wifi. Wired works fine with only power and reset led's lite and none blinking.

Hope this helps the creator and interested in anyone else experiencing this.

Andy

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:45 am

Thanks for the report. I wonder that WiFi is not working, I will check again on the week end as I am currently on business travel.

Andyk1
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 am

Just to let you know!!!. I am in fact now connected in AC mode on a TL-WR902AC via an Asus RT-AC88U router at 433 Mbps and CAN NOT connect at 2.4 ghz or any other way short of Ethernet cable. To be honest it's not a problem as it manages to travel through 2 wood frame walls at a distance of approx. 35 feet or 10 meters. I did this by accident through the Luci interface by turning wlan settings on or off. Some settings stuck and some would not. Can not get the led's to let you know the status other than the power and reset which only stay on steady.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks for spotting this bug! You are right, initial release of Meteobridge for this platform does support 5GHZ only instead of 2.4GHz as planned. I am just working on a new release that supports both. :D

Andyk1
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:06 am

Cool, Glad to here it. One other issue I ran into is the led's do not work as intended also. I was able to set them up to my liking in Luci but the new settings do not stick. Your given the option to apply and save but after a reboot your new settings are gone. One other thing I added a cron job to reboot at 12:15am and that also does not stick or is saved after a reboot. I'd like to have the option of saving my settings in Luci if it's possible.

I almost forgot. I was able to get the 2.4 ghz side to work through luci by turning on radio1 which is the second radio radio0 being the first and radio1 being the second. I think the freq are reversed but after changing it you no longer have access to the Meteo GUI as it locks you out. The Meteo still works in 2.4 mode but have to do a reset with a long press to get it back and lose all your settings.

When I was connected in 2.4ghz mode I had very good signal compared to 5 ghz mode and also at 144mbps. Highest I've seen on any of my 2.4 devices I have connected.

Sorry for all the edits. Regards!!!

Andy

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:16 am

We don't care that much about luci, this is just a fall-back if something dramatically goes wrong. In normal operation no Meteobridge user should never touch this tech jabber pages. You can schedule reboots with Meteobridge script invocations.
Only large LED is of importance regarding Meteobridge operation, the others are not really supported and just forget about those.

Andyk1
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:18 am

Yes I understand what your saying but I still like to see the activity lights "RX & TX" to let me know it's not needing a reboot. This morning after I left home both the 3020 and 902 locked up on which I still can't figure out why both but I checked to see if there is a watchdog running in luci and it looked like there was but didn't auto reboot after a certain time. One reason I'd like to see some sort of activity other than steady on but thanks anyway.

P,S. I take that back. I just figured out my ObserverIP is the problem.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 am

New version is released today that allows WiFi operation 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

Andyk1
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Just did the update and works just fine. This WR902AC has some awesome radio's in it. Connects to 2.4ghz at 144.4mbps both Tx and RX. Was thinking about adding an external antenna but really no need. Thanks.

Andyk1
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 pm

Trying to link ( integrate client on Meteobridge's LAN adapter into WLAN) Lan and Wlan to one MAC address doesn't work. I tried all different ways to link them and not sure if that feature is available. Do you link the two Mac's (Lan and Wlan) on your end Sir?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:15 am

Hey, this is a weather server and not your universal WLAN router ;-)

It should allow to have a device on the LAN port bridged to the WiFi when Meteobridge operates in WiFi mode (please see network tab regarding bridging). But I haven't tested if Meteobridge WR902AC does really handle it as it does on the other platforms. As said, we are not keen to support every network mode openwrt can do, resulting complexity will render the device unusable for 90% of the user base.

Just for your personal experiments: the WR902AC provides 3 MACs: LAN, 2.4 GHZ WifFi and 5 GHz WiFi.

Andyk1
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:36 am

Yes I understand. So when we go to register for a Lic... we just choose which mac: and stay with that Lan or Wifi if I understand you correctly.?

I re-read your post. No the "integrate client on Meteobridge's LAN adapter into WLAN" does not work for me in Wifi mode for me. Locks up meteobridge to the point I have to do a reset to get back in via connected to eithernet.

I am not in a rush to get this fixed Sir. Just letting you know what I have discovered for my use/preference.