Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

joe002
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

Post by joe002 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 am

Boris,

It seems that AcuRite won't be accepting data from the SmartHUB after Aug 31, 2018. I assume when they turn off their server our SmartHUBs will stop transmitting so our Meteobridge won't see data anymore, correct?

To remedy this problem can we re-direct the SmartHUBs so they continue to transmit data so our Meteobridge will continue to see data? I have no interest at all of sending my weather data to AcuRite - just to the services I use through my Meteobridge. I'm willing to redirect my setup right now.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Joe

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

Post by admin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:30 pm

It can be that Meteobridge operation with the Aculink will still work, even when Acurite switches off the service on their side.

Please protest at Acurite that their new ATLAS/Access units do not provide weather data you paid for in your LAN so that 3rd party software like Meteobridge can read it. Only their customers can make them change their mind on trying to lock you in to their network exclusively by force.

joe002
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by joe002 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 am

Yeah it may work, but I'm thinking that if they disconnect their server it won't see anything to talk to so it will stop talking which means the Meteobridge won't see any data and nothing will work.

Lot's of negative press over there. It seems like good old George is the main fan of the new setup. I got the offer for the discounted Access but didn't respond because it doesn't work with Meteobridge.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:53 am

It is still plenty of time for Acurite to update ATLAS/Access firmware to support local data read-out. They just need to be convinced to go that route :)

Montalvo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Montalvo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:41 pm

joe002 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 am
Yeah it may work, but I'm thinking that if they disconnect their server it won't see anything to talk to so it will stop talking which means the Meteobridge won't see any data and nothing will work.
I was thinking the same, then I discovered this article:

How to get data from an Acurite bridge
https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/acuritebridge

.. and it made me think that we can create a local solution so AcuriteBridge continue to "talk" to a server and send data received to MeteoBridge. What do you think?

Montalvo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Montalvo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 pm

joe002 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 am
I got the offer for the discounted Access but didn't respond because it doesn't work with Meteobridge.
I got it too.. just in case my AcuriteBridge stops working with MeteoBridge.
Is it confirmed that new AcuriteAccess will not work with MeteoBridge?
Is the data enconded in a different way? Maybe encrypted?

joe002
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by joe002 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:16 am

Boris - it would be great if they fix the Access firmware to allow Meteobridge to see the data. Unfortunately Access doesn't seem to be as good as the SmartHUB - it has less sensor quantity support and doesn't transmit as often. We'll see what they do (and will provide our opinion), but the SmartHUB with the Meteobride is a really good combination. I want to make sure my setup continues to work. If I can't get the SmartHUB to continue to work I'm thinking I'll just move to a whole new platform.

Montalvo - I want to try to get my SmartHUB to work today without sending data to Acurite. Thanks for the link - I see in the article that maybe the SmartHUB sends data to hubapi.myacurite.com. I don't keep a computer running 24/7 so I'll start experimenting next week to see if I can set sometingup to fake out the SmartHUIB without havfing a computer running (I don't know if Acurite responds to the SmartHUB or the SmartHUB just fires and forgets).

Yeah, the current Access will not work with Metgeobridge. It is encrypted, but maybe Boris can temporarily work with the encryption that is currenly used, but Acurite can make the connection more secure (with certificates) and break the potential Meteobridge access. Again, if I can't get my SmartHUB to work I will look at the other products that work with Meteobridge. I have three 5-in-1s, two 3-in-1s, two soil sensors, and three temperature sensors, and was looking at the Atlas to make a upgade to my locations, but I'm not going to use a setup that doesn't support the Meteobridge.

Montalvo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Montalvo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:13 pm

I received today (02/28/2018) an email message from Acurite:

.."After reviewing feedback and speaking with a number of you, we are extending the end of service/support of the AcuRite smartHUB to February 28, 2019. Our commitment to meeting the evolving needs of our customer base is as strong as ever, and we recognize discontinuing products can be an adjustment.

While we have already stopped both production and sales of the smartHUB, we recognize many of you have recently purchased the smartHUB and want to become better acquainted with My AcuRite prior to upgrading to the AcuRite® Access™."..

So at least, we have official support for at least a year more.

bubba123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bubba123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:52 am

My concern is that even if we can get the data out of the SmartHUB, we still have to have a way to manage the sensors connected to it. Without official support, I'm not sure how one would do this. It does appear that acuparse (https://github.com/acuparse/acuparse/issues/26) will send the data from their SSL MitM interception on to the proper API location, so it would seem feasible to do something similar in Meteobridge (perhaps local DNS entry on Meteobridge, inspect, then send to real DNS address - I actually assumed this is what was being done behind the scenes on my DIR-505 with the SmartHUB connected.

Thoughts?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:11 am

Looks like we have one year to think how to keep the Aculink/smarthub users happy to still have their data in Meteobridge. We are working on this but I can't give promises right now.

bubba123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bubba123 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Any updates on viability of using the Acurite Access? Mine is still in a box, but considering I do look at their GUI on iOS, I assume I'll have to move at some point. My license is up on Meteobridge, but I'd be glad to renew if Access support is still in the works.

Thanks!

joe002
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by joe002 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:42 am

Boris - Hi. I was wondering if you had any plans to keep our meteobridge working with the AcuRite SmartHUB when AcuRite stops supporting it. I'm sure it would require an update to the meteobridge to simulate the AcuRite server so the SmartHUB keeps working, and I (and I assume the other SmartHUB owners) would be happy to pay the maintenance fee to keep our SmartHUBs running into the next year. Thanks.

bubba123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bubba123 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 pm

I'd like to know as well. I'm due for my 2 years of support, and if Acurite Access or continued use of Hub was in the plan, I'd be more apt to continue with Meteobridge. Only issue is I'd also like to continue to use the Acurite app.

joe002
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by joe002 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:39 pm

I almost never use the AcuRite site/data - I look at my station on Weather Underground. I like the layout and data on Weather Underground better, plus the numbers on the AcuRite site aren't adjusted (corrected by meteobridge) like they are on Weather Underground. For Android I use Weather Station - it's pretty good, but could use a little tweaking. It uses the data from Weather Underground so it's correct.

p2808
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by p2808 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Dilly Dilly!