Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

Post by joe002 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 am

Boris - Hi, any updates? It looks like we're in our last month. Thanks.

bubba123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bubba123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:09 am

I’m planning on unboxing my Access this weekend and deploy Acuparse on an extra Rpi. I’d like to stay with Meteobridge as it gives me more options, but using the acurite app is a must, and I believe he only way to get that is for Meteobridge to support the SSL MitM method used in Acuparse.

bubba123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bubba123 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:47 pm

I ended up getting a SDR usb drive and pulling the data for Acurite from the air. I just wish Meteobridge supported ingest from SDR so I wouldn’t have to futz with Weewx :(. At least this way I’m not supporting Acurite or their services.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Only way to have your smarthubs still working is to setup a responder that reacts on requests to "hubapi.myacurite.com" inside your LAN and fakes the Acurite server still being there. Unfortunately, I failed to integrate that into Meteobridge itself as Meteobridge is just passing through traffic from the LAN port and does not act as a DNS server to the smarthub. Sorry.

Acurite is disabling sold products to spare money keeping their servers running and encourages to buy new stuff (which might also be at risk to be switched off, when new products show up). So if you buy, decide clever which station manufacturer to give your money.

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Boris, hi. So it sounds like you won't be putting a "hubapi.myacurite.com" emulator inside of Meteobridge, correct? If the SmartHUB won't be supported anymore, did you ever get past the encryption problem with the Access?
Last edited by joe002 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:45 pm

bubba123, hi. I have seen some generic/incomplete articles on setting up an SDR to replace the hub. Also, did you also get the pressure to work too? If you got something to work that doesn't require me to keep my computer running and does send the data through to the Meteobridge, can you please share the solution here so I (and others?) can duplicate it? Thanks!

p2808
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by p2808 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:23 am

So there is no way to set up an alias hubapi.myacurite.com server on our end? To trick the smart hub.

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm

At a really high level - the "easy" part is that the acurite server has to be there for the smarthub to transmit, but the hard part is that the server actually sends information to the smarthub, so in addition to having something to receive the weather data you also need something that will send the smarthub the right data to keep it happy.

bubba123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bubba123 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:35 am

joe002 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:45 pm
bubba123, hi. I have seen some generic/incomplete articles on setting up an SDR to replace the hub. Also, did you also get the pressure to work too? If you got something to work that doesn't require me to keep my computer running and does send the data through to the Meteobridge, can you please share the solution here so I (and others?) can duplicate it? Thanks!
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?PHPSE ... #msg301649

To get pressure and internal temp (since those usually come off of the smartHub, you'll need to build something for that:

https://github.com/DanV410/weewx-sdr-arduino

and here's basically how to wire those up from what I can tell (I haven't done this, but might in the future); for now, I'm having Acurite Access send the data to Acurite, but getting the other info (minus pressure and internal temp) from SDR (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009U7WZCA).

http://embedded-lab.com/blog/making-sim ... 66-bme280/

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:17 am

bubba123 - thanks for the response! The first link seems to be talking about a lightning detector, am I missing something? Maybe it's the wrong link?

So what exactly do you have for your setup? You said that you have the Access to send data to Acurite, but using the SDR to send data (minus the pressure) to the Meteobridge for reporting to other places? Maybe you are still using the Atlas because you don't have the pressure side completed yet?

I've seen your links (and others like it) that show an SDR and SP/Arduino/etc. but it's not clear to me how you set it up to read the sensors and send the data to the Meteobridge (I guess I'm missing the software part?). I have a 5-in-1 (I use for rain, wind speed, wind direction), 3-in-1 (temp, humidity), soil temp sensor, and the hub for pressure. I use the Meteobridge to combine all of the sensors into one that I have it send to WU and CWOP. Will this work with the setup you are suggesting? The hub needs the AcuRite serves to send the data. I'm thinking the SDR approach can somehow push the data to the Meteobridge?

I really appreciate any insights you can provide here, and I'm guessing that on Friday there may be more traffic in this thread as the hub will be down (I only have a hub so my weather station will be going down).

lgharriman
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by lgharriman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:59 pm

As promised Acurite turned their web page (myacurite.com) off at 7 AM EDT this morning February 28th. The smart hub is still sending data to the meteobridge (D-Link Dir-505) and out to Weather Underground and PWS Weather. The smart hub is hooked into the meteobridge via cat-5 cable and the meteobridge is connected via WI-FI to my local network. It may still go dark but all is well at the moment.

Yesterday Weather Underground kept alternating between "No Data Sent" and updated xx seconds ago. I ending up turning all equipment off for 30 seconds and restarting everything. I don't know if Acurite was trying to disable the smart hub or what was going on, but it solved the problem.

I have ordered a Proweather Station TP3000WC from here: http://www.rainmanweather.com/ProWeathe ... er-Station
It should be here in a couple of days. I'll let everyone know how it goes. :D :D

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:55 am

The meteobridge is still sending data to Weather Underground and APRS CWOP, look like it does not need MyAcurite.com to send Data to other Weather service, we lost Myacurite.com features, but if the rest still work I will keep the Smarthub if it still function for the other service, I guess that we will have to wait few more days before celebrating, hope this will be the same for everyone here, I will be happy to keep my old smarthub if it still work, I dont mind loosing Myacurite.com if the smarthub still function

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:12 am

I look into the logged traffic from my router and I confirm that the traffic bandwidth send from Meteobridge when down at exactly 7 am EDT this morning and Myacurite.com server is not generating traffic anymore, the graph show a nice drop of data send outside from meteobridge, I just hope that Acurite will not disable the smarthub with a firmware update

bubba123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bubba123 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:52 am

joe002 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:17 am
bubba123 - thanks for the response! The first link seems to be talking about a lightning detector, am I missing something? Maybe it's the wrong link?

So what exactly do you have for your setup? You said that you have the Access to send data to Acurite, but using the SDR to send data (minus the pressure) to the Meteobridge for reporting to other places? Maybe you are still using the Atlas because you don't have the pressure side completed yet?

I've seen your links (and others like it) that show an SDR and SP/Arduino/etc. but it's not clear to me how you set it up to read the sensors and send the data to the Meteobridge (I guess I'm missing the software part?). I have a 5-in-1 (I use for rain, wind speed, wind direction), 3-in-1 (temp, humidity), soil temp sensor, and the hub for pressure. I use the Meteobridge to combine all of the sensors into one that I have it send to WU and CWOP. Will this work with the setup you are suggesting? The hub needs the AcuRite serves to send the data. I'm thinking the SDR approach can somehow push the data to the Meteobridge?

I really appreciate any insights you can provide here, and I'm guessing that on Friday there may be more traffic in this thread as the hub will be down (I only have a hub so my weather station will be going down).
Here you go, let me know if you have changes as I just threw this together. This doesn't use Meteobridge at all, sadly. I'd love to be able to keep using it with the Access <hint>admin</hint> : https://github.com/bdwilson/acurite

If you guys think your SmartHUB will keep working, you're right. If you think you can add/remove sensors from it in the future, I wouldn't count on it.

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:17 am

Bubba123 - thanks, I really appreciate the write-up! It makes more sense now. I was wondering how the Meteobridge fit into the setup, but now I see what you are doing. I would like to keep it too, but I can't if it won't work.

I don't understand your comment about the SmartHUB working but not being able to add/remove sensors in the future. Are you thinking that it will continue to work for now (mine is still working), but if you have to make a change you will be stuck?

I'm going to order an RP then decide between your SDR approach or the AcuRite Server Emulator approach.

Thanks again, I'll update this thread as I get more info.