Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

Post by joe002 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:25 am

lgharriman - Is the Proweather Station TP3000WC supported by the Meteobridge?

bubba123
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by bubba123 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Yes it will keep working but if you need to readd/remove sensors you won’t (likely) be able to since this is all done on MyAcuRite.

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:47 am

This will be something that could be implemented in Meteobridge for the Smarthub, Meteobridge already have a option to unlink sensor from the Smarthub, implementing a option to add sensor to the Smarthub will make the smarthub fully usable with Meteobridge, i will renew my license for another 2 years if this is implemented to Meteobridge, That for shure

wks
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:00 am

Hi All. I am new to this forum and am still on my 14 day trial of the meteobridge firmware on a D-Link DIR-505 connected to the now infamous Acurite SmartHub. I have to make up my mind in the next few days whether to licence the meteobridge (preferred) or upgrade to the new Access (not at all preferred). Any other option is just too expensive for all I really need.
Assuming that Acurite does not brick the SmartHub (which probably would leave them open to a lawsuit), I would expect that the meteobridge knows from sniffing the sensor packets what sensors are connected and fills in the live data accordingly without having to query Acurite. If that is the case, then the SmartHub should continue to report data indefinitely and if you add or change to different sensors, you would just have to unlink the sensors and let the meteobridge rebuild its tables automagically.
Is this a correct assumption or am I missing something? It would be nice if the developer could shed some light on this in the next couple of days. I would really like to be able to use the meteobridge moving forward, but don't relish the idea of spending $100CAD for something that may not function anymore if I add a 3-in-1 (wind) sensor.
Thanks in advance for your help.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:25 am

An Acurite customer did forward this message to me, where it looks like Acurite is changing the firmware of the smarthub to keep it operational somehow. This is what they wrote:

Dear PC Connect User,
A software update is now available for PC Connect for Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7. This update is required to continue connecting your product to My AcuRite after Thursday, February 28, 2019. Click here to download the updated version, and follow our basic instructions for installation.

Link: https://support.acurite.com/hc/en-us/ar ... re-Update-

Sincerely,
The AcuRite Team

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:51 pm

Look like this Update is only for PC Connect and Weather stations connected to a PC via USB, I do not see anything for the Smarthub in this regard, this will allow to be able to still use the older model of USB Weather Station after the 28 February 2019 on the new Acurite Access server, i dont believe that Acurite will make a update on the SmartHub without making the data unavailable to meteobridge, they dont want anybody to be able to use the data and send it without there approuval to other party, that why i am almost shure that they will try to disable the SmartHub to make it not functional anymore, it is still working now but the sensor management is not possible right now, i will not try to unlink sensor from the meteobridge weather station menu as it might not be possible to get it functional again after unlinking the sensors, this is the only Caveat right now as the smarthub still is working without the Myacurite.com. it will be nice to find a way to prevent unattended firmware update to prevent it from been kill.

p2808
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by p2808 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Since Acurite has officially stopped supporting the smarthub, can they legally send a signal to "brick" the device?

wks
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Not being a lawyer, I can only offer an opinion. I don't think it would be wise for Acurite to try and brick the SmartHub.

Paragraph 2 of Section 3 COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS/USE OF CONTENT in Acurite's TERMS OF SERVICE (https://www.acurite.com/policies) states:
"Notwithstanding the foregoing paragraph, weather and environmental data collected by your use of Equipment (collectively, “Data”), and any reviews, comments or other materials posted by you on the Service (together with Data, the “User Content”), are not considered Content for the purposes of these Terms and Conditions and you may use such User Content for your own purposes (including, without limitation, sharing Data with third-party weather services)."

Since we own the SmartHub, I believe Acurite would be acting in bad faith if they attempted to prevent access to our personal weather data, which they explicitly state is not part of this agreement and we are free to share 'without limitation'.

In other words, I believe they are free to say "we don't want to play anymore", but they are not free to say "you can't play anymore."

wks
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wks » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:40 am

I did some playing around today with my Meteobridge (D-Link DIR-505)/SmartHub setup. There are only two AcuRite 06002RM Temperature/Humidity Sensors in my configuration (indoor and outdoor).

I removed the batteries from the indoor sensor, unlinked the sensors, saved, and then did a reboot. Only the outdoor sensor was (already) registered after the reboot. After re-installing the batteries in the indoor sensor, the indoor sensor was reported as newly registered in the messages field under the System tab.

At that point, I was having intermittent connection problems when switching between tabs, but a second reboot seemed to fix the problem.

Unfortunately, I do not have a new sensor to try, but to my untrained eye, it appears that the Meteobridge is finding the sensors all on its own.

Also wondering if the 'Success' response from WU or other service is satisfying the SmartHub acknowledgement requirements (i.e. 2 way mirroring of data by the Meteobridge).

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:09 am

This look good if the SmartHub is able to relink a sensor alone without the Myacurite server, maybe registering sensor was needed only for the Myacurite account and Meteobrige will simply add any sensor seen in his reach, this is good news for us with the meteobridge setup, look like the Smarthub is still a viable option for sending data to others weather service. so far it still work fine with a 5 and 1 sensor and another sensor inside my house and also 4 other exterior sensors from nearby house, this is a unexpected outcome when everybody was expecting the SmartHub to become dead without the server.

wks
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wks » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:56 am

Decided to go for the Full Monty and reset my Meteobridge back to the default configuration (hold the reset button until factory defaults restored) and rebuild from scratch.

Success! All sensors reporting and uploading to WU & PWS!

Now I'm convinced we are winning.

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:33 pm

This is good news WKS, well we have confirmation that the SmartHub is usable without Acurite support and server, Glad to find this out, Meteobridge will allow continuous use of a device that will be otherwise a door step without Meteobridge, this is the best outcome possible considering that Acurite decide to abandon the Smarthub, I like to see a piece of hardware having a second life after been dumped, it is just sad that Acurite did not want to keep both Access Connect and Smarthub functional on the same server, This will have give them a better reputation for support, I got my weather station only 2 years ago and this is a very short life for the Smarthub, and to be force to upgrade so early and without any way to keep the older Smarthub operational this is a shame, we are lucky that anyone with Meteobridge will be able to continu using the Smarthub, But after what Acurite did, I am not shure that I will buy something else from them later, they show to everyone that they will not provide support for what they sold, I just feel sorry for anyone buying a weather station 6 month ago and finding out one month later that the hardware they just bought is already obsolete and they will have to spend another $100 or more for the new Access Connect, and Access Connect does not work with Meteobridge, because they did not make the data available, this is a bad policy for a company if they want to keep the confidence and loyalty from there customer.

Acclim8
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Acclim8 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:49 am

Has anyone used the latest PC Connect software? I am still successfully using a 5 in 1 weather station with a SmartHub wired to a Meteobridge operating over WiFi. I am also using an external wired soil temp sensor to measure snow temp at our ski area. As this sensor is reading 3 degrees to high, I need to calibrate this sensor. I believe the only way is to use the latest PC Connect software that has been offered for download by Acurite. After their debacle with the SmartHub, my worry is that I just don't trust them anymore. And I will never buy anything from them ever again. Has anyone used the latest version of the PC Connect software to any success, without loss to system functionality? Thanks!!

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 pm

From what I read in wxforum.net the Acurite smarthubs are still operational. Looks like Acurite disconnected just the data processing server but made the domain to be reached out by the hub still existent and somehow replying. Users in wxforum.net report that resetting daily rain counter is no longer working, but for Meteobridge this is not a problem as Meteobridge computes the daily rain fine from an ever increasing counter.

Does anyone experience problems with the smarthub or can you confirm that it is still operating?

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:06 am

Look like it does not work anymore, the smarthub stop sendind data at 7:39pm Eastern time, everything is down here, they must have shutdown the domain name and now the Smarthub is dead, i will not buy anything from them anymore, i a most likely not alone having lost connectivity whith the smarthub, at least we where aware that it will not last forever, i will start looking for another option for sending Data to WU