Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

Post by joe002 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:09 am

Appears to still be working for me, but not sure how much longer?

ke9lz
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ke9lz » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 am

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 pm
From what I read in wxforum.net the Acurite smarthubs are still operational. Looks like Acurite disconnected just the data processing server but made the domain to be reached out by the hub still existent and somehow replying. Users in wxforum.net report that resetting daily rain counter is no longer working, but for Meteobridge this is not a problem as Meteobridge computes the daily rain fine from an ever increasing counter.

Does anyone experience problems with the smarthub or can you confirm that it is still operating?
I have 2 Meteobridges and 2 smarthubs and both are still working for me. I had one stop updating but after rebooting it came back to life again and is still working. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve

wks
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:28 am

Mine is still working also. Did everything possible to try and break it (except add another sensor) before buying the licence.

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:30 pm

It is working again, there was a DNS name server problem at my ISP, everything work fine now, it does need something at the other end to talk or reply for the smarthub to work, let see how long this will last (:

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:39 am

i now start to understand the mistery about the Smarthub, most Smarthub are still functionning until now, and this is with or without Meteobridge connected to them, i appear that sending data to weather Underground is done from the smarthub is this keep the Smarthub Alive despite My acurite been shoutdown, il look like the connecting credential for Weather Underground is store into the Smarthub and this allow the smarthub to continue sending data without interuption to Weather Underground, but there is no way to change or update these setting as Myacurite is down now, there is only one thing to remember for now. Do no Reset the Smarthub by pushing the reset button underneat as it will loose the connecting credential for Weather Underground account, and your Smarthub will stop working as this is the only reason as is still work, i remenber the option to send data to Weather Underground from inside myAcurite, this was storing the Station ID and Password inside the Smarthub, and also remember not to change your Account ID or your Password on Weather Underground web site, as we are unable to make the change inside the Smarthub, it will still work fine as long there nothing change on your Weather Underground Account.

wks
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 am

Ok. For those without a Meteobridge, pressing the SmartHub reset/register button is a really bad thing.
Has anybody inadvertently pressed the button with a Meteobridge installed? Can the SmartHub recover in that case?

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:04 pm

I believe the result with be the same with Meteobridge connected to the Smarthub if someone push the reset button underneat the Smarthub, Meteobridge need the Smarthub to talk to a service to continue functioning, it will be good to know if it still work after a Smarthub reset. It will be nice if someone or Acurite release a Utility program to change the setting inside the Smarthub for that purpose, it will make it usable for other Weather service and Meteobridge. Acurite should have done this before abandoning the Hardware. Maybe someone will come with a long term solution after some reverse engineering work on the device.

crazyace
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by crazyace » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:06 am

My smartHub has been working continuously even after the Acurite service changes in late February. Today however my smartHub stopped receiving sensor data around noon which in turn caused the MeteoHub to stop seeing sensor data. I'm curious if anyone else also saw this change. I tried rebooting the smartHub with no luck. I also logged into the smartHub and after a power-cycle I see the sensors briefly and then they disappear. I'm wondering if this is due to some Acurite change on my smartHub or something else. Is anyone else's smartHub still working now after the Acurite changes in late February?

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:55 am

Mine is down too. Guess I put off getting a solution to this problem too long. :(

wks
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wks » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:01 am

Mine quit working today around noon also. Weather Underground has been changing their website lately - I wonder if they have stopped sending the acknowledgement that the SmartHub requires.
I did a quick look but don't see (yet) how to contact WU to see if that is the case.

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:21 am

Like crazyace said, I'm not seeing any sensor data on my hub, so Meteobridge doesn't see anything. Unfortunately, I don't think WU has anything to do with it.

wks
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by wks » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:45 am

You may be correct, but it is my understanding that the SmartHub requires an acknowledgement to continue sending data. Currently, (and I could be wrong), I don't think the Meteobridge sends any acknowledgement, but Weather Underground does (did?).
Regardless, I sent an e-mail to WU asking if they stopped sending an acknowledgement. When they reply, I'll post their response.

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 am

If it just starts working again that would be great. For now I have to get serious about finding a replacement.

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:13 am

Mine is dead too, WU change or remove connectivity with the smarthub, i will watch it for the next couple of day, i do not expect anything as this point because WU does not want to receive any data from the smarthub anymore, and i think we all have to look into another solution for sending data to WU. Accurite does not want anyone to use the old Smarthub to send data to other party, i thing this was planned and they want people to use the new smart connect instead

wvdkuil
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by wvdkuil » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:44 am

It is more or less a DNS problem.
The old AcuRite servers do not exist anymore, so there is no valid Ip-address and the hub does not fully start.
For discussion and maybe a solution check this topic
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36552.0

Wim
Support for Leuven-Template & Scripts at https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support for the PWS_Dashboard (HWS-template) http://pwsdashboard.weather-template.com/