Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: Continued use of AcuRite SmartHUB with Meteobridge

Post by joe002 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:20 am

I've done a little digging around too, and the server at hubapi.myacurite.com is now finally gone. If you can get something to take over for the server at that address then everything will work again. I've tweaked some of my standalone hardware and software and have something up and running again using the meteobridge, but there are some issues that I need to clean up before I can say that it's a good solution.

The basic problem/solution is that hubapi.myacurite.com is gone, so if you want things to work the way they used to work you need to create your own hubapi.myacurite.com that functions like the old hubapi.myacurite.com.

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks Joe002, i did try to have something working for the Smarthub on my side, but i was not able to make it work, i setup a local DNS server on my local network and i try to setup a computer with Xammp and some scripts in the web folder, but i do not have any experience with PHP scripts and PHPADMIN, i got the DNS server working well and the dnsmasq to redirect to my local computer, but i am not able to setup the scripts to make it work, it will be nice to have a simpler solution to replace the hubapi.myacurite.com needed to talk to the smarthub.

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:10 am

I did see Xammp and other solutions and decided to give Acuparse a shot. Like I said, I'm getting errors because I'm sure I didn't set it up properly, but I used my firewall to redirect hubapi.myacurite.com to the Pi box where I loaded Acuparse and put it on the same network as the meteobridge and hub, and the meteobridge is seeing data again and WU and CWOP seem to be happy again. It's been running for 24 hours now! :D

When I get a chance to fix all of the errors and come up with the best/clean install for meteobridge users I was planning to post the results here.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on this project again for a few weeks, but when I'm able to take it up again I will post my results here (unless someone else does it before I get back).

In any case, at a minimum, there is a solution using the Acuparse with the meteobridge that will work (with some potential errors - but I expect to fix them once I get the chance to get back to this project).

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:36 am

I got my smarthub working with acuparse by following the instructions from this link https://github.com/acuparse/acuparse/wi ... spberry-Pi , it is working well to send weather data to Weather Underground and CWOP, this system is not using Meteobridge as the smarthub is connected directly to the Raspberry pi3, it is the only working solution available now to continue using the now defunct Acurite Smarthub, i hope this will work for other users, the low cost of the Raspberry Pi3 make this a good option to keep the smarthub working and the Raspberry Pi work Headless, take very little space and power to use.

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:10 am

Can you adjust the values you send to WU before they are sent (like you can with meteobridge)?

I'm still using Acuparse with meteobridge, but I haven't had the time to work on a good install of Acuparse with meteobridge. I has been working for me since the 8th, but I need to reinstall Acuparse because it has a lot more stuff that I don't need if I have the meteobridge working. I was thinking I need the meteobridge to adjust my numbers before they go to WU, but maybe Acuparse can do that too??

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:56 pm

There is only the Barometric pressure Offset adjusment possible with Acuparse, it does not send the peak wind speed to WU and it is not Rapidfire, it update every minutes instead of every 15 second, Meteobridge has more features and it send data every 15 seconds to WU, it also support more Weather Services than Acuparse, i do beleive that acuparse will get better with time, and it is right now the only working solution to keep using the old Smarthub, Other solution when down when Acurite change the DNS entry to 127.0.0.0 Localhost, i try the Kevin Smarthub Reader before and i found out that solution is not working anymore with the DNS entry set to 127.0.0.0, Acuparse is the only solutions working without having to set up a DNS server on my local network, it does use dnsmasq on the Raspberry pi but everything is running on Raspbian and does not need any external DNS server to work, it does has less features than Meteobridge, but this is working good at least, i beleive that Acuparse will have more feature and more flexibility in the long run for the Acurite Smarthub

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks for the great response. So today for the most features (I adjust my BP, temp, and humidity; and use rapid fire) you need the Meteobridge and Acuparse - which is what I currently have running (I still need to clean up my Acuparse installation). Maybe in the future the Acuparse will include the same features that are in Meteobridge?

I'm using my firewall to fix the hubapi.myacurite.com localhost problem. It sounds like you are using dnsmasq.

Is there some reason why you didn't keep your Meteobridge in the loop?

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:29 pm

The instructions from acuparse was made for a setup with the Smarthub and the Raspberry Pi, The Raspberry has only one Ethernet port and build in Wifi, and communicate to to network using the wifi connection, i will have to try to use a network switch to connect both the smarthub and the meteobridge together to see if this work, let me know how you connect the 3 devices together. you did mention that you are using a Raspberry pi for Acuparse in a previous post, thanks for your input, we will for shure be able to improuve the setup into something very good

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 pm

Yeah, I was wondering how I was going to hook all of this stuff up too, but I think I came up with a pretty "clean" solution.

Again, at a really high level, the problem is that the Acurite Hub needs to see hubapi.myacurite.com on it's wired Ethernet port or it won't transmit the weather station data that it receives. If the Hub doesn't transmit data then Meteobridge won't see any data so nothing goes to WU. The site hubapi.myacurite.com has been "disabled" by Acurite so the Hub can't see hubapi.myacurite.com so it stopped transmitting. You can't just create a "dummy/empty" hubapi.myacurite.com presence somewhere in your house because the Hub needs to send AND receive data from hubapi.myacurite.com. That's where the Acuparse comes in. It emulates hubapi.myacurite.com so it knows how to receive AND respond to the Hub to keep it happy. So the trick is to get the Acuparse into your network so the Hub can see it which will make the Hub transmit the weather station data and the Meteobridge will see the data flowing again so it can adjust and transmit it to WU, CWOP, etc.

I'm using the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. It has a wired Ethernet port and Wi-Fi, but you only need the Wi-Fi to work with your Meteobridge setup.

Basically, I have Acuparse loaded on the Pi and it's acting as hubapi.myacurite.com, and I have the Meteobridge talking to the network over Wi-Fi (I didn't change the Meteobridge or Hub at all).

So... My Firewall assigns the DNS address for hubapi.myacurite.com to my Pi's Wi-Fi port, the Acurite Hub is still hardwired to the Meteobridge, over the Wi-Fi in the Meteobridge it sees the Internet (for WU, CWOP, etc.) and it also sees hubapi.myacurite.com (my Pi). The Hub is happy because over it's Ethernet wire to the Meteobridge it sees hubapi.myacurite.com (which is the Acuparse running on the Pi), and the Meteobridge is happy because it sees the traffic from the Hub to the Acuparse (Pi).

I have the Hub and Meteobridge in the same place I've always them and I have the Acuparse/Pi sitting in another room. It's funny, when it's setup properly you just need to plug the Acuparse/Pi into the wall somewhere in your house and you're good to go.

To really finish the setup I need to clean up my Acuparse installation. As you know it's set to do a lot of things, but if you are using the Meteobridge it only has to basically emulate hubapi.myacurite.com. When I did the install I didn't enter some of the setting properly and added things I don't need. I need to go back and do a bare bones install and I think I'll be done. I' haven't been in a hurry to fix it because it's basically working and I have other issues to deal with.

Does that help?

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks for spending some time to reply to me, i did try to leave the smarthub connected to Meteobridge and use Acuparse as a replacement for the now dead hubapi.myacurite.com, the build in dnsmasq in Raspbian only work from ethernet port of the Raspberry pi, i do have a dnsmasq on my Asus Rt-AX88U, but i does nor work correctly at this moment, the router is to recent and need more debugging work, i will have to wait for future firmware update to fix this, i also try to connect together the Smarhub and the Raspberry pi and Meteobridge on a switch, the Smarthub and Acuparse does work but the Meteobridge did not work connected this way, i will wait for a newer firmware release for my router before trying this again

joe002
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by joe002 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:15 pm

My backup plan was to use an old network hub. If you connect your Acuparse Pi, Meteobridge, and Acurite Hub on a network hub (do you have an old one laying around?), it may work. The problem with the switch is the data from the Hub to the Pi won't be seen by the Meteobridge because the switch is "smart" and won't send data to the Meteobridge (wrong address). An old hub sends all data to all thing connected to the hub, so the Meteobridge would see the traffic and may work.

I looked a few months ago at buying a network hub, but it was too hard to find and I remembered I had one at my home, but then I figured out the Wi-Fi and Firewall DNS thing so I didn't try it. Everybody today uses switches because they are much more efficient for the network flow.

If you decide to buy a hub, make sure you get a hub and not a switch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub Also, again, I didn't test it so I don't know if it will work. On the up side a hub helps if you are using Wireshark.

sbougie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by sbougie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:01 am

Thanks again for the info, i will try again with a hub instead of a switch, i might have a old hub somewhere at home, yes you are right, a hub is not smart and does send all data to all ports, this may work for Meteobridge, i will try to find or get a hub for testing this setup, it is wort a try for shure, i will get back to you as soon as possible with the result

vade64
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by vade64 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:43 am

Joe002
I went through the full set up of Acuparse and am trying to get data to load. Looks like I have everything set up correctly but am not seeing live data in the Acuparse web interface. I went through the config and the only thing I can't seem to locate is the sensor "Station ID". It should be an 8 digit number for the 5-in-1 Acurite but I don't know where to get it.

Any suggestions?

hymrog
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by hymrog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:45 am

You will need to get the IP address of the Smarthub and access the splash page. Once you see the splash page you will be able to get the sensor ID values