test5m warnings.

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: test5m warnings.

Post by ConligWX » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:44 am

I asked but i dont think it will happen.

Snapper
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Snapper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:26 pm

ConligWX wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:44 am
I asked but i dont think it will happen.

Thats a shame. If it were 5ghz then I wouldnt be concerned...

Thinking about it, this would be really easy to implement without any GUI changes or user input:

1. on boot, a 60 minute timer is started
2. once timer is expired, a check is made if internet connectivity is available
3. if it is, the provisioning SSID is disabled
4. if not, take no further action as its likely that the device isnt set up correctly.

So in a factory reset state, the provisioning SSID is available for setting up. (as there is no internet set up at this time)
In normal use, the provisioning SSID stops broadcasting after 60 minutes as you can access via normal GUI.
In a support case, the first action is to reboot the device, which means the provisioning SSID is available for 60 minutes for debugging.

I don't have a Meteobridge to check if this is possible though (was looking at the Nano-SD to replace my weeWx VM)

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm

my issues could be the wifi signal is 40mhz wide which most waps/wifi networks only use 20mhz.

In my house I have two Unifi WAPs which have the same wifi network, but have to be on separate network channels to work correctly. the Nano broadcasting on 40mhz at high power near bleeds out one or the other which is a shame. its a pity once you have setup your wifi with the nano to connect to your own wifi network that the nano disables its own wifi network or puts it in a low power state and fixed channel perhaps.

if the nano failed in anyway a reset of the device could enable the nano wifi back again. but that's my thinking behind it all.

Snapper
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Snapper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 pm

Yep i'm with you there; on 2.4ghz, there are only 3 clear channels that you can use at HT40 and the Nano obliterates one unnecessarily...

Lets hope Boris reconsiders and makes the Nano a good WiFi neighbour!

Also running 2 x UniFi AP's and Sophos at the perimeter, although the upgrade from UTM to XG is on my To-Do list...

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 am

yep used to run Sophos UTM here, which I guess is pretty solid. I just wanted the the limitation of IPs removed.

Sophos UTM home: limited to 50 IPs
Sophos XG home, limited to 4 cores and 6 GB of RAM. - I went with this....

XG overall is pretty solid now.

staze
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by staze » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:25 am

really would like to see an option to turn this off. I don't like it showing up in my network list, and it crowds already congested 2.4ghz band.

I can edit the file if that's what it takes, but I've never seen something do this before. Usually once an IoT device is configured, it stops broadcasting it's setup network... =/
Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Envoy, Meteobridge Nano SD