Windy.com API upload from Meteobridge

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

SANdood
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Windy.com seeking input on developing API - Let's make Meteobridge first

Post by SANdood » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Is there any chance of adding support for multiple Stations per API Key (the API apparently supports it)?

Such would be nicer than having to create separate Windy accounts for each Station.

galfert
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by galfert » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:25 pm

SANdood wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm
Is there any chance of adding support for multiple Stations per API Key (the API apparently supports it)?

Such would be nicer than having to create separate Windy accounts for each Station.
That is exactly how Windy works. You use the same Windy account with the same API if you want create multiple Windy stations. Pretty similar to other online weather services that let you create multiple stations with one account; WU, PWSweather, WeatherCloud, Metoffice WOW, Openweathermap to name a few that let you have multiple stations with one account.

To get started go to https://stations.windy.com
MR3020 v1
GW1000

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:35 am

SANdood wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Yes, but Meteobridge can only feed one (and only supports one connected station). Using multiple Meteobridges would be needed.

SANdood
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by SANdood » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Yes, I have two Meteobridges.

I'd like to have only one Windy account, with two stations. I'd configure one as `station: 0` and the other as `station: 1`.

For this to work, the Meteobridge would have to add support for specifying the station number in addition to the API key.

galfert
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by galfert » Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Ahaaaa !!! Good point!

I would suggest for now to use the HTTP method under the Services tab and be sure to include the station=1 tag.

Code: Select all

https://stations.windy.com/pws/update/XXX-LONG-API-KEY-HERE-XXX?station=1&winddir=[wind0dir-avg2]&windspeedmph=[wind0wind-avg2=mph]&windgustmph=[wind0wind-max10=mph]&tempf=[th0temp-avg5=F]&rainin=[rain0total-sum60=in.2]&baromin=[thb0seapress-min1=inHg.2]&dewptf=[th0dew-avg1=F]&humidity=[th0hum-avg1]&uv=[uv0index-avg5]
MR3020 v1
GW1000

ToTo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Windy.com API upload from Meteobridge

Post by ToTo » Wed May 08, 2019 2:16 pm

I send my meteo data with meteobridge nano. The shortest intervall is 5min, can i send shorter with http send method?

It seems for me, meteobridge sends the actually wind direction. Would not it be better, send AVG wind direction?
A Bug in Meteobridge Windy Support?
https://community.windy.com/topic/8186/ ... n-interval

galfert
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by galfert » Thu May 09, 2019 4:27 pm

ToTo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:16 pm
I send my meteo data with meteobridge nano. The shortest intervall is 5min, can i send shorter with http send method?

It seems for me, meteobridge sends the actually wind direction. Would not it be better, send AVG wind direction?
A Bug in Meteobridge Windy Support?
https://community.windy.com/topic/8186/ ... n-interval
I totally agree. Wind direction should be averaged and not actual. I'm using 2 minute average with HTTP method to cut down on wind vane flutter. This is the suggestion from Windy as they stated they have adopted this from CWOP.

Yes you can send in less than 5 minute upload increments as I read a Windy employee say, but they will throw it out and only keep every 5 minutes. So there is no benefit in sending quicker than 5 minutes.

But there could be some benefit to HTTP method as you can then tweak the variables to your preference. I think Boris should publish the current Windy variables used.

Here is my HTTP method string:
https://stations.windy.com/pws/update/X ... X?winddir=[wind0dir-avg2]&windspeedmph=[wind0wind-avg2=mph]&windgustmph=[wind0wind-max10=mph]&tempf=[th0temp-avg5=F]&rainin=[rain0total-sum60=in.2]&baromin=[thb0seapress-min1=inHg.2]&dewptf=[th0dew-avg1=F]&humidity=[th0hum-avg1]&uv=[uv0index-avg5]
MR3020 v1
GW1000

ToTo
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by ToTo » Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Wind AVG2 is fixed in Release 4.0 May 10, 2019

Thanks!

Wessel
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Wessel » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:57 pm

I have 7 weather stations with MB and the configuration is ok. All show that data is being sent to Windy, however just one appear as PWS, the other 6 stations appear as MADIS and if I check at stations.windy.com/stations, for the 6 stations there is no data bein sent. MB says data is being sent and Windy says it's not receiving data. API Key works just for one station or multiple?

galfert
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by galfert » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Wessel wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:57 pm
I have 7 weather stations with MB and the configuration is ok. All show that data is being sent to Windy, however just one appear as PWS, the other 6 stations appear as MADIS and if I check at stations.windy.com/stations, for the 6 stations there is no data bein sent. MB says data is being sent and Windy says it's not receiving data. API Key works just for one station or multiple?
On the Metobridge using the Weather Network tab Windy option you can only upload to the first Windy station. To upload to other stations on your Windy account you need to use the Services tab and custom configure an HTTP upload to Windy. Using the HTTP upload method you need to specify which station you are uploading to. The syntax is station=1 if you are uploading to station #2 because #1 is station=0. If you omit station=0 then it defaults to it anyway...which is what the Windy configuration does under the Weather Network tab.

More details on HTTP upload method:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic ... #msg376837

It might be a good recommendation as a firmware upgrade if Metobridge were to allow you to specify station number under the Weather Network tab settings. To remove confusion I would have a check box that is on by default and is called default station. Then when you uncheck the box a fill in field shows up or becomes available to allow you to enter a station #.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

Wessel
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Wessel » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:09 pm

Thanks gus, it worked! Yes, the only one station that Windy was receiving data was ID 0.
Yes, it would be great if we could set station ID under the Weather Network tab settings.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Do I get it right that it only needs to add "&station=X" to the URL to tell Windy what station the data is good for? This should be easy to add.
Will IDs 0 to 9 be sufficient?

Wessel
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Wessel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:33 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:23 pm
Do I get it right that it only needs to add "&station=X" to the URL to tell Windy what station the data is good for? This should be easy to add.
Will IDs 0 to 9 be sufficient?
Yes, I added "&station=X" and at the same time start sending data correctly. Now I have duplicated stations (PWS and Madis). Maybe 9 would be sufficiente for almost all users, but nowadays I have 7 stations...next year probably more than 9...we can have unlimited stations at windy.com.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:55 am

Added to just released version.