Request: Met Office WOW Camera Network

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

Snapper
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Request: Met Office WOW Camera Network

Post by Snapper » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 am

Hi

Met Office have webcam support: http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/support/webcams

Could we have a weather network for this, like the Wunderground camera one?

Many thanks

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Request: Met Office WOW Camera Network

Post by admin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks for the information. There seem to be two modes.

One is reading data from a users FTP server, which is rather odd as one would expect it just grabs data at a specific URL via HTTP/HTTPS instead of bothering with a complicated and less secure FTP download. Not of much use for Meteobridge, which provides cam pictures at an individual URL when using Meteobridge CAM upload... but I will not make those accessible via FTP, a really bizarre idea. Why don't they don't ask people who make their living with things like that how make it right? Oh man...

The other option, to upload the CAM picture directly to the WOW server is probably a good idea, but the linked article is very vague on technical details and does not tell the URL, nor the path or file name needed and is also unclear where to get user name and password from.

When one of you has found out, please share that knowledge. As this starts a bit bumpy and looks rather amateurish it needs to be seen, how well they can handle the pictures. WU really did run into problems and (before weather channel takeover) they had good technical staff.

Anyway, I am interested to include that to Meteobridge.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:42 pm

BTW, did you try the ftp cam upload service on "services" tab? When it is just a regular FTP upload that should work fine. All you need is URL, complete target path, username and password (which WOW says they provide somehow). Please give it a try.

Snapper
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by Snapper » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:25 am

Ive tried the normal FTP method, its failing due to an authentication issue.
Raised with WOW support as I can't connect from one of my RHEL VM's either, so its looking to be their end...

I was a bit reluctant to use normal FTP as you can only define the single server and I wanted to use the for transfer to another device, hence the request for the service. Fine for testing though!

The WOW Webcam setup procedure is OK, basically, you select that you want to use their FTP server and they then supply you with a FTP URL and directory on the setup screen. You then supply a username and password of your own choosing and just save it.
Then it seems you just PUT the image to the server/directory whenever you want to update.

Its actually easier to do then their documentation describes!

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Snapper wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:25 am
I was a bit reluctant to use normal FTP as you can only define the single server and I wanted to use the for transfer to another device, hence the request for the service. Fine for testing though!
You can add the full FTP credentials to the upload definition. That way you can use multiple FTP accounts.
Cite from the wiki:
When you want to upload data to another FTP server, you can use a fully qualified URL-like FTP notation in the "Path" field. Format of the FTP URI has to be: ftp://user:password@host:port/path. Please notice that none of the elements is allowed to miss. Example: ftp://johndoe:mysecret@ftp.server.com:2 ... index.html