ObserverIp and Meteobridge rain total discrepancy **solved**

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

LEB
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

ObserverIp and Meteobridge rain total discrepancy **solved**

Post by LEB » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:15 am

I just completed my WS-1401 with ObserverIP and MB. I noticed both can be set to provide data to WU. I prefer using MB to centralize sending data to all weather networks, however, presently disabling WU transmissions at MB because I noticed that my MB live data is not transferring my ObserverIP rain totals (ie, live data in MB shows a different value than the ObserverIp.)

Any assistance is appreciated.
Last edited by LEB on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: OberverIp and Meteobridge rain total discrepancy

Post by admin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:15 pm

You can adjust rain total of year, month at the Meteobridge "live data" tab. This is needed to have history data reflected before setting up the Meteobridge.

LEB
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: ObserverIp and Meteobridge rain total discrepancy

Post by LEB » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Thank you , did not know I could edit the data. Would you know why MB is not picking this parameter from ObserverIp?

Should I select "alternative rain rate" for WU?

gus
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by gus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:57 pm

The Meteobridge was not designed to pick up these totals from the ObserverIP. It was designed to calculate and keep track of its own totals. Every count of your rain gauge tip causes the Meteobridge total to increase. If the Meteobridge looses connection with the ObserverIP then there will be a discrepancy between both devices. Each keeps track of its own totals.

Another reason for this is because the Meteobridge was designed for many different station brands/models. Some stations only send live data and do not have totals. So the Meteobridge was designed to do its own totals calculations, and this makes it work the same for any brand/model. When the ObseverIP was added as a supported device the Meteobridge was already calculating its own totals. It just would make no sense for the Meteobridge to pick up these totals from the ObserverIP.

Once you set bot devices to match rain totals then they should stay in sync....as long as the Meteobridge is not down while the ObserverIP stays running.

LEB
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by LEB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:34 am

Sorry but I need to do a follow-on to the feedback that MB picks up just the sensor data from OIP.

2 days ago, checking my installation and setups, I noticed that the ObserverIP(OIP) did not reset the daily rain after the end of a day, but MeteoBridge (MB) was correct. I have MB providing data to PWSweather.com (not enabled at the Ambient site, in fact the OIP has no station name entered for even WU). So I corrected the daily rain total at the OIP live data screen. Upon doing this, I checked pwsweather finding that the daily rain total, the precipitation rate and accumulative precip were showing a number not even close to the modified value at the OIP (don't even know why the rates got modified). It seems that something perturbed the operations of the MB by changing the values at the OIP. Can you or someone confirm what actions could affect the MB data transmissions and value (besides the station readings)?

I am curious as to what will happen to MB transmissions and data if a reset rain is done at the OIP? what happens also if a reboot to the OIP is done while MB is active?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 pm

Overruns and resets to zero will be handled fine by the Meteobridge. Meteobridge tracks increases for itself and when a value drops to zero it understands what had happened ;-)

LEB
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by LEB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:14 am

Thank you! I was approaching not knowing whether my experience was due to MB or the Ambient Weather ObserverIP. A posting on Ambient weather indicates that the ObserverIP results when making changes is unpredictable. Given my config where MB is the core of the submissions to the weather networks, the best advice I had was to turn off the transmissions from MB, then make my changes to the OIP, reboot, etc when either installing and/or adjusting values, to wait a minute for the barometer to be picked up, then turn on the MB.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:09 pm

yes, that rules out that MB gets some data and assigns a wrong unit during your setup process.