Meteobridge now available for TP-Link WR902AC Version 3.x

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Meteobridge now available for TP-Link WR902AC Version 3.x

Post by admin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:22 pm

I invested some spare time to port the Meteobridge package to the TP-Link router WR902AC Version 3.x. While version 1.x of this router was already supported, the version 3.x is powered with a different SOC and it needed a complete new firmware build. Like the MR3020 Version 3.x this model does not need a USB hub when being connected to weather stations via USB and it has 64 MB of RAM which gives it the same headroom as the MR3020 Version 3.x. The 5 GHz WLAN mode of the router is not supported, it is running on LAN or 2.4 GHz WLAN only.

To have this router supported is extremely interesting for US customers, as TP-Link is no more selling the other Meteobridge supported models anymore in the US!
TL-WR902ACv3.png
TL-WR902ACv3.png (54.69 KiB) Viewed 386 times

Flashing needs to be done via TFTP as explained here: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... g_Hardware

The port is rather new, so some bugs might still be in there. Please report to this thread, if you find any.

gus
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Meteobridge now available for TP-Link WR902AC Version 3.x

Post by gus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Is there any chance in adding Pro features to this model? In the US we can no longer buy the Pro. What I really want is a Black Pro as I have an Ecowitt GW1000, but the Black Pro never sold in the US. As an Ecowitt GW1000 user I have no way of getting Pro features. Because this new WR902AC has more RAM maybe it is possible to add the Pro features to it? Maybe if still not enough RAM then maybe with a USB flash drive for added storage?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:26 pm

You can order a MB PRO directly from me. Please drop a note at "info(at)meteobridge.com".

reyesrau
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by reyesrau » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 am

I'm not having any luck installing meteobridge-tl-wr902v3-v1.3.bin on a WR902 V3. I'm using tftpd64 on a Windows 10 system, which allows me to see the tftp connections happening. The method given of holding the button on the WR902 while powering up does nothing; I can only get it to initiate a tftp recovery transfer by pressing and holding the reset button with a paperclip for about 10 seconds. It does appear to be successfully downloading the entire tp_recovery.bin image (verified both by watching tftpd64 and packet snooping with Wireshark). But I end up with a WR902 that has all LEDs blinking slowly on and off green simultaneously. It never shows up on the network.

reyesrau
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by reyesrau » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 pm

I appear to have found a work-around solution... First install OpenWrt, then install Meteobridge:

1. Download the "...tft-recovery.bin" image from https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr902ac_v3

2. Rename that file to "tp_recovery.bin" and put it on your tftp server (at IP address 192.168.0.66).

3. Press and hold the "reset" button on the TP-WR902AC v3 with a paperclip for about 10-15 seconds until it reboots and begins the tftp download.

4. The TP-WR902AC v3 will then (eventually) reboot into OpenWrt. It appears that OpenWrt defaults to 192.168.1.1, so if you have another router at that address it may get stomped on. Log into that via web browser and use the browser-based firmware update to select the meteobridge-tl-wr902v3-v1.3.bin file that you've previously downloaded. The process is described at https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-quick-st ... grade.luci

If all goes well, you will (hopefully, finally) have a working Meteobridge. I don't know why the published method for the TP-WR902ACv3 didn't work for me, but this method did. Your mileage may vary.

Additional note: If you're using tftpd64 under Windows 10, I had to completely disable Windows Firewall to get the tftp connection to work.