Meteobridge NANO Setup problems **solved**

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

jkkish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Meteobridge NANO Setup problems **solved**

Post by jkkish » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:54 am

I just purchased a new Meteobridge Nano and I'm having problems....
1) I installed the device in my Davis Vantage Vue, I replaced the batteries, and I powered up the Vantage Vue
2) On my desktop, I connected to the meteobridge_xxxx wifi network
3) From my web browser, I connected to 192.168.169.1
4) I entered my SSDI and Passphrase, then pressed the "Save and Test" button
5) The page was refreshed with a successful message and the IP address for connecting to the device.
6) I pressed the "Save and Apply and Reboot" button
7) The nano rebooted, blinked rapidly, then settled into a steady on (red)
8) On my desktop, I switched from the meteobridge_xxxx wifi network .... back to my regular wifi network
9) From my web browser I entered the IP address displayed in step 5 and encountered the error "page isn't responding".
10) A confirmed that the IP address was correct by pressing the reset button and counted the blink sequences
11) I performed a factory reset, and repeated the steps above with the same results.
12) I performed a factory reset, and manually set the IP address, but still no luck.
13) When I ping the IP address, I get timeout messages

It feels like I may have a fault device or am I neglecting something?

BigAlT
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: Meteobridge NANO Setup problems

Post by BigAlT » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:06 am

Try browsing to http://magicip.meteobridge.com and see what IP address is shown. The manual recommends you do not set a fixed IP address on the nano itself but set it up for dhcp and then take the IP address that your router assigns to the nano and set up that address as a fixed address in your router using the nano’s MAC address.
The solid led means that your nano is connected to the internet so your router must be assigning a different IP address when you press the apply save & reboot button. Going to the magicip address will show you the IP address that your nano is actually using. I just tried the command on my nano SD and it works perfectly bringing up the nano logon screen.
If all else fails, after configuring your nano, getting the IP address assigned by your router and applying saving & rebooting and still not being able to connect, try unplugging your power supply and removing the batteries. Then replacing the power adapter and batteries forcing a cold reboot. One time my nano SD failed to respond and I couldn’t access it though the led was solid. Doing the cold reboot solved the problem. It’s the only way to completely reboot the nano without changing any settings.

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am

yep i'm guessing the IP may have changed too. if your dhcp server/router allows it, assign a static ip for the meteobridge.

jkkish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jkkish » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:55 pm

1) I performed another factory reset of the NANO.
2) I connected to the meteobridge_xxxxx wifi network
3) I browsed to 192.168.169.1
4) I entered my Wireless LANs info (i.e., SSID, region, password, etc...) and selected Receive automatically (DHCP)
5) I pressed Save and Test
6) I received a successful connection status message:
a) Connected to WLAN with IP 192.168.168.60
b) Internet can be connected
c) Meteobridge server can be connected.
7) I pressed Save and Apply and Reboot - I encountered the error: Safari can't open the page 192.168.169.1/cgi-bin/meteobridge" because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection." At this point, the meteobridge_xxx wifi network disappeared, .... I assume because the NANO is rebooting.
8) I quickly pressed the reset button on the NANO and counted the blinks to confirm that the NANO's IP was set to 192.168.168.60. It blinked the correct number of times. Afterward, the LED was solid red.
9) I reconnected to my regular wifi network.
10) I entered 192.168.168.60 into my web browser and encountered the error: Safari can't open the page "192.168.168.60" because the server where this page is located isn't responding.
11) I entered http://magicip.meteobridge.com into my web browser and encountered the same error.
12) I removed the batteries from the NANO, pulled the plug, waited a few seconds, then powered it back up. The device beeped, then beeped, the LED blinked and blinked and blinked, then started blinking faster..... then finally the LED settled into solid red.
13) I repeated step (10) and encountered the same error
14) I repeated step (11) and encountered the same error

So, still no luck. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

wsnoordbergum
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by wsnoordbergum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Check your power outlet adapter if it is 300mA then it is to low to power both console and the NANO.
Replace with 1000mA output minimum!
Wifi drains a relatively big amount of the current, so wifi drops out if to low amps are provided....

Goodluck.

And it is indeed better to let your router assign a fixed IP address based on the MAC address of your NANO.

jkkish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jkkish » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:46 pm

Hmmm... My Vantage Vue console is powered by an adapter that is rated at 300mA, and not the 1000 mA that you say I need. I'll see if I can find a beefier A/C adapter and see if that helps.

As for the fixed IP address,.... yes, I do intend to use a fixed IP, but I'm currently focusing on getting this online first. If I ever get it up and running, I will switch to a fixed IP.

Thanks.

jkkish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jkkish » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 pm

I removed the batteries, I unplugged the A/C adapter, I plugged in a 1000mA adapter, the console powered up, the NANO rebooted, the NANO's LED did its blinky dance, and the LED settled into a solid red. I then tried to browse to magicip.meteobridge.com again and encountered the same timeout error.

Any other ideas?

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 am

Just to clarify what is the wire handle colour of your Nano? Also this does sound more like a network/router/IP issue of some sort? Going to be hard to fault find remotely without knowing the remote url.

If magicip can not find the IP then it sort of says there is no visible IP (which is obvious) / no network to the Nano IP below the WiFi setup

Also have you tried different browser's and/or checked any virus scanners and/or firewalls on your systems?

jkkish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jkkish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:21 am

The wire handle colour is red.

I believe magicip can find the IP, but the NANO is not responding (i.e., the timeout error lists the IP address).

The NANO's mac id and DHCP assigned IP address show up in my router's list of DHCP assigned devices. I also used an IP Scanner app to scan my network for devices and the Nano shows up as a discovered device. However, it is listed as not-pingable.

I've tried accessing the NANO from Safari, Firefox and Opera.

I have not checked for viruses, and don't have a virus scanner.

I do have a hardware firewall device sitting between my cable modem and my wifi router. Do I need to do anything special with my firewall to get the NANO to be accessible?

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:56 am

So just to confirm you can not simply ping the assumed Nano IP address?

And yes the red wire handle does require the higher capacity power supply.

jkkish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jkkish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:37 am

Here are the results of a ping attempt, and I am testing with a 1Amp power supply, and still no luck.

Ping has started…

ping: sendto: Host is down
PING 192.168.168.60 (192.168.168.60): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
Request timeout for icmp_seq 6
Request timeout for icmp_seq 7
Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

--- 192.168.168.60 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Mattk
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Mattk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 am

What is your operating system?

jkkish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by jkkish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:43 am

Mac OS X.

Update.... I created a secondary wifi network that is not behind my firewall, and managed to get things working on this new network. So, there is definitely something going on with my firewall that is preventing the NANO from working properly. Are there specific ports that need to be opened up in order for the NANO to work behind a firewall?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Don't block any outgoing traffic and allow incoming traffic on port 80 and the DNS port. It is rather strange that you have a firewall between your router and the WiFi Network. Usually, the firewall just protects the router from the outside. Encapsulation of guest WIFIs from your LAN clients is generally better done via VLANs.

Lesson leraned: Don't forget to look in your own network infrastructure for bugs when Meteobridge is stuck in fast blinking mode :shock:

jkkish
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Meteobridge NANO Setup problems **solved**

Post by jkkish » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:19 pm

My firewall IS on the WAN side of my wifi network (LAN), but just to test the NANO, I created another (temporary) wifi network that is not protected by my firewall.