Meteobridge stopped updating Weather Underground Webcam

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

whitehse46
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Meteobridge stopped updating Weather Underground Webcam

Post by whitehse46 »

Have an issue that my Meteobridge it has stopped updating my Weather Underground Webcam has this been caused by the recent software update any ideas. Webcam picture is showing OK on Meteobridge and the live data says its sent ok.

whitehse46
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: Meteobridge stopped updating Weather Underground Webcam

Post by whitehse46 »

And suddenly I look at Weather Underground and my Webcam is now showing after 2 weeks of being down. Very weird.

Follow up question has anyone managed to send a web cam image to WOW have tried and tried FTP settings but cant get it to work any ideas, is anyone out there doing this.

ConligWX
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by ConligWX »

WU have been having ftp upload issues for a while. I think it is working now, though I dont send any data to WU at all.

as to met office I get them to collect the image off my website every 10 minutes or so.

galfert
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by galfert »

whitehse46 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 pm
Follow up question has anyone managed to send a web cam image to WOW have tried and tried FTP settings but cant get it to work any ideas, is anyone out there doing this.
I recommend uploading your camera to Meteobridge.com. Then you can use the URL for MetOffice WOW....and also for many other sites. Its simple, free, reliable, and compatible. You can even add weather data to image as overlay.
MR3020 v1
GW1000

jasonmfarrow
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Post by jasonmfarrow »

I think WU have given up completely on webcams. My FTP was working, and indeed FTP uploads continue to work, but nothing shows up on WU. Even URL references are ignored on WU right now. I think IBM just don't care anymore and are gradually killing off the whole thing.

Using a direct URL to a jpeg is the simplest of solutions provided that you have a camera or website that supports doing that. Otherwise it's a lot of mucking about with FTP. FTP is becoming generally unreliable in the wider WAN from webcams.

I went through three different webcams, all supposedly supporting FTP but none really worked as desired and I had to write a lengthy workaround, and only moved away from FTP through a fortunate discovery. The last webcam I tried (a Foscam C2M) has a http(s) interface where you can directly call for a snapshot jpg from the camera. eg.

Code: Select all

http://<IP or FQDN>:<port>/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=<userid>&pwd=<pwd>
Apparently all Foscam cameras have this capability in some form or other depending on the camera type. I just wish they'd put it in the documentation as it would have saved me days of coding and testing.

This direct jpeg snapshot URL can be used in the Meteobridge Weathercam External Picture URL (I have a NanoSD but it's standard on all Meteobridge versions see: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... ct_Station) so that you can then overlay weather data onto the image using the Meteobridge Weathercam Service. The Overlay'd image URL can then be used in all other weather platforms that support a URL picture upload. (See: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... :Mbcam.png)

Note: Before this I had a lengthy workaround to get my image processed to WU and others. It went like this:
  1. FTP regularly from the camera to my Raspberry PI on my LAN
  2. FTP the received images from RPi to my website and to WU (the camera FTP appears unable to do that directly)
  3. Run code on the website to choose the latest upload and copy it to a specific file, eg. webcamlatest.jpg
  4. On the NanoSD refer to this image directly from my website for the webcam URL
  5. Use the overlay'd webcam image for all other webcam URL references.
Regards
Jason
jmfweather.uk | @jasonmfarrow

Andyk1
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Andyk1 »

Yeah not sure what's up but everything I tried WU errors out with Pic uploads either in Metrobridge or direct WU page uploads. And of course no response from WU.