SMTP Mail Failures

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

dekeoboe
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

SMTP Mail Failures

Post by dekeoboe »

Several weeks ago smtp mail stopped working from the Meteobridge. I tried changing the service provider (e.g. different mail hosts), ports, and authentication types to no avail. Still no success in sending an e-mail. Prior to the update to 4.3 I would be able to see the failure messages in a banner but with the update that has stopped working. I seem to recall that there was an "MSMTP" failure message and there were either "account not recognized" or authentication failed messages depending on the different options. Any thought on how to fix this? (I know at least one provider requires SSL - I was using "none" for authentication and tried TLS and STARTTLS but neither worked. Thanks for any help you can be!
John

dekeoboe
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: SMTP Mail Failures

Post by dekeoboe »

I think I figured out how to get it working - I can't use ports 465 or 587. I went back to an old config file and found port 25 was being used with no authentication. I set the services to port 25 with TLS authentication and smtp messages started flowing... Strange to me that I can't use one of the recommended ports e.g 465 or 587(SSL) with pls authentication.

galfert
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: SMTP Mail Failures

Post by galfert »

I'm running latest version 4.4.

For what it is worth I'm using Yahoo for SMTP email.
SMTP Host: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
port: 587
Authentication: TLS

Sending to my gmail address. I didn't use my gmail as a sender because I didn't want to have to reduce the security on my gmail account to enable SMTP outbound email.
MR3020 v1
GW1000