MR3020 cannot find IP address with LAN, MAC OS and USB to enet adaptor. **solved**

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

beach66
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

MR3020 cannot find IP address with LAN, MAC OS and USB to enet adaptor. **solved**

Post by beach66 »

Unique problem (at least I think I've searched everywhere on this forum and the interwebs). I have a MR3020 V1.9 with Meteobridge from Ambient Weather. I changed my house wifi password, so the MR3020 no longer connects to the wifi. Therefore I am trying to connect to the MR3020 through the cabled ethernet connection. I have an Anker USB to GigE adapator (because Apple MACs don't have native enet anymore). I set IPV4 to "using DHCP with manual address" and set the IP address to 198.168.0.10. It automatically gives a subnet mask to 255.255.255.255. But it does NOT show a "router" address, which should be the MR3020 address (I know this because when a do the same thing with a MR3040 that I have for travel it shows the router address). see attached screenshot.

I have tried to reset the MR3020 to factory defaults (hold down button for 5 blinks) - which should mean I can get to the router with IP address 192.168.0.254. But the browser (firefox) times out every time. I've tried some other IP addresses as well, but nothing works, and the MR3020 just sits there with the fast-flashing LED. Any advice would be appreciated!
Attachments
enet connection.png
enet connection.png (86.53 KiB) Viewed 164 times

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: MR3020 cannot find IP address with LAN, MAC OS and USB to enet adaptor

Post by BigAlT »

If you’re trying to access the MR2020 settings to change it’s Wi-Fi password to your new home password and are trying to access it via your USB LAN Adapter, I believe you need to turn off Wi-Fi in settings. Having two active connections just confuses your browser.

beach66
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by beach66 »

Tried it with the wifi off. No luck. Also tried again when resetting the MR3020. no luck :?

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

beach66 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:52 pm
have tried to reset the MR3020 to factory defaults (hold down button for 5 blinks) - which should mean I can get to the router with IP address 192.168.0.254
so wrong! you did reset it to DHCP client mode. Please start reading the getting start section of www.meteobridge.com

beach66
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: MR3020 cannot find IP address with LAN, MAC OS and USB to enet adaptor. **solved**

Post by beach66 »

Yes, I RTFM. I have read through the instructions several times before posting here. I have tried resetting it to factory defaults by holding down the button for more than 10 seconds - but still can't access the default address of 192.168.0.254. And when I try to press the button once, so that LED would signal the addressing by flashing, it doesn't do that. It just sits there with no light at all.

BigAlT
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Re: MR3020 cannot find IP address with LAN, MAC OS and USB to enet adaptor. **solved**

Post by BigAlT »

I think you’re going to have to go and setup your Meteobridge as if you just downloaded and installed the Meteobridge firmware from the WiKi on a non modified MR3020. You’ll need to configure your Mac to access your router using DHCP and use one of the recommended tools or the alternative USB Thumb Drive method listed in the instructions to find out the IP address assigned to your Meteobridge by DHCP. I don’t believe the default ip address is useable once you’ve reset the Meteobridge to it’s default DHCP setting.

If this doesn’t work, it’s possible that you have somehow corrupted the Ambient Weather version of the Meteobridge firmware they installed in your MR3020 in which event you’ll need to contact Ambient Weather for technical support as You won’t be able to reload the firmware using the version available from the Wiki without loosing your license.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

beach66 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:14 am
Yes, I RTFM. I have read through the instructions several times before posting here. I have tried resetting it to factory defaults by holding down the button for more than 10 seconds - but still can't access the default address of 192.168.0.254.
Sorry, may I suggest you try reading again, because:

1) holding the button for 10 second is not defined.

2) setting back to LAN works as follows, cite:
Reset to default network operation is done by pressing the button and keeping it pressed until LED flashes once. Now release button and system will restart with default network configuration, which is LAN DHCP client mode. Network settings done before are still stored inside Meteobridge when unit has started in LAN DHCP client mode, but these will need additional "Save" clicks to be made active again.

3) There is no setting the IP back to 192.168.0.254 at all. May be that is the default IP the unit had BEFORE the TP-Link firmware was replaced by the Meteobridge firmware. But we are talking here about resetting the Meteobridge firmware to defaults. The Meteobridge is reset to DHCP client mode, so it gets an IP from your router. Wiki explains as well different ways to find out IP and you also tell us you found the blink ip mode. So why don't you use the signaled IP? :roll: