Meteohub Migration Promotion until Jan 31, 2021

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Meteohub Migration Promotion until Jan 31, 2021

Post by admin »

Dear Meteohub users,
as you might be aware, most of our development efforts during the last years went into Meteobridge which offers today superior features compared to Meteohub, that has its foundation from 2007. I recommend to have a look at the comparison chart, that lists features between Meteobridge versions and Meteohub side by side: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Comparison

Last feature added to the Meteobridge PRO, NANO and RPI platform is the ability to permanently store data in per minute resolution. This allows very detailed weather data archiving and graphing back into the far past. Meteohub data can be ported to Meteobridge, so you don’t loose your valued historical weather observation. We feel, that for most users it is time to switch over to our more advanced Meteobridge offering. While Meteohub will remain in stock, we do not plan to invest into new releases but focus our development to the Meteobridge Application completely.

I am happy to introduce a promotion starting today until Jan 31, 2021 for a reduced Meteobridge license purchase when you already have a Meteohub license. Discount will be 20 Euro. In order to apply for this, all you need is to send a screenshot of your Meteohub „Maintenance“ page (where the Meteohub activation code is displayed) to „info(at)smartbedded.com“ and you will receive a discount coupon code. Your Meteohub license will stay untouched so that you have plenty of time to setup the Meteobridge and do a data migration without hurry that fits to your time schedule.

We hope you will enjoy the new more up-to-date features of Meteobridge.

andlil
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Re: Meteohub Migration Promotion until Jan 31, 2021

Post by andlil »

Why am I always the early adopter... :roll:

I made the switch from Meteohub to Meteobridge two months ago and paid in full. Any chance of getting something for my old Meteohub license? Perhaps an extra two years of support?

//A

Bahni
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Bahni »

Habe heute (12.1.21) erst per E-Mail von der Aktion erfahren.
Würde eventuell gern umsteigen.
Wenn ich in den nächsten Tagen diese Meteobridge Testversion mal 14 Tage in ruhe probiere ist schon Februar.
Reicht es den Rabatt-Gutscheincode bis Ende Januar zu beantragen oder muss ich auch die Lizenz bis Ende Januar gekauft haben?
Die Wichtigste Frage auch gleich noch, kann ich die Wetterdatensicherung zu einen Server/NAS z.b per FTP mit Meteobridge realisieren? Mit Meteohub geht das ja nicht.
Danke für die Auskunft!
Gruß Bahni

Meteohub
Raspberry Pi 3
Meteostick
Davis Vantage Vue
ELV WS 300 PC mit KS300
ELV (Velleman) WS 3080
NAS-QNAP TS-209 PRO II

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

Promotion code needs to be used for purchasing a license until End January.

Stopping Meteobridge operation and uploading the complete database of lets say 1 GB to anywhere will take long time and this is not the way to go. You can log weather data in mySQL in parallel or generate CSV exports according to time schedules and upload this to somewhere else, but not the entire database. Database can be copied locally (USB stick or sd card) on defined time schedules and can restored from there, if needed.

Bahni
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Bahni »

Danke für die schnelle Antwort.
Ich würde die Meteobridge auf einen Raspberry 4 installieren wollen.
Dort müsste ich dann einen USB Stick verwenden um darauf die automatischen Sicherungen machen zu können?
Bei Meteohub ist es mir passiert das alles weg war weil durch einen Stromausfall die SD-Karte abgeschmiert ist.
Gruß Bahni

Meteohub
Raspberry Pi 3
Meteostick
Davis Vantage Vue
ELV WS 300 PC mit KS300
ELV (Velleman) WS 3080
NAS-QNAP TS-209 PRO II

ipe
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by ipe »

I tried this morning, but the accepted sd-cards for the system (at least, in a RPi) are too expensive and almost impossible to find. Any other hardware solution, plus the license, are prohibitive for me.

I think that, if you decide to leave meteohub, the license should be free or much more cheaper, if the prior license is revoked.

Bahni
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Bahni »

ipe wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:01 pm
I tried this morning, but the accepted sd-cards for the system (at least, in a RPi) are too expensive and almost impossible to find. Any other hardware solution, plus the license, are prohibitive for me.

I think that, if you decide to leave meteohub, the license should be free or much more cheaper, if the prior license is revoked.
Das verstehe ich nicht, sollte doch mit jeder SD-Karte gehen?
Wollte gerade mal das Image für den Raspberry Pi 4 herunterladen, wo finde ich das Image?
Habe auf dieser Seite probiert, geht aber nicht: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... g_Hardware
Gruß Bahni

Meteohub
Raspberry Pi 3
Meteostick
Davis Vantage Vue
ELV WS 300 PC mit KS300
ELV (Velleman) WS 3080
NAS-QNAP TS-209 PRO II

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

ipe wrote:

Please let me comment the complain:

1) There is no way around industrial SLC cards and the ones from WD are affordable even in 16 GB capacity which looks sufficient to me for most use cases. You can order these from Mouser world wide. So I don't see any problem in getting one within a few days. Using consumer cards will give you no joy. I have every week Meteohub RPI customers asking for help on license migration because their SD card failed and took all the data with it.

2) Meteohub is now available for 13 years. Users who got a license a decade ago can and do still use it. I don't think there is reason to be sour when development focus does change over time. Meteobridge is quite different in the inner workings and we simply see more potential in it.

3) Making use of the discount on Meteobridge license does not revoke any Meteohub license. You can still use the Meteohub in parallel as long as you like or even sell the Meteohub incl. license to someone else.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by admin »

Bahni wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:06 pm
ipe wrote:

Das verstehe ich nicht, sollte doch mit jeder SD-Karte gehen?
Wollte gerade mal das Image für den Raspberry Pi 4 herunterladen, wo finde ich das Image?
Habe auf dieser Seite probiert, geht aber nicht: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... g_Hardware
When you intend to store data locally you need one of the listed SLC cards. You can tryout Meteobridge on RPI with any microSD card, but then it just operates without local data storing like the Meteobridge on the limited TP-Link router platforms.

List of supported microSD cards
  • swissbit SFSD1024N1BM1TO-I-DF-2A1-STD (microSD Card, 1 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
  • swissbit SFSD2048N1BM1TO-I-DF-2A1-STD (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
  • swissbit SFSD1024N1BM1TO-I-DF-221-STD (microSD Card, 1 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
  • swissbit SFSD2048N1BM1MT-I-ME-221-STD (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
  • swissbit SFSD2048N1BM1MT-E-ME-221-STD (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -25°C - 85°C)
  • ATP AF2GUDI (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C – 80°C)
  • Cactus KS2GRIT-803M (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -45°C – 90°C)
  • Panasonic SMSC02DA1 (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash, -40°C - 85°C)
  • Apacer MSD02GIDI-T (microSD Card, 2 GB, SLC Flash)
  • Western Digital/SanDisk SDSDQED-008G-XI, SDSDQED-016G-XI, SDSDQED-032G-XI, SDSDQED-064G-XI (microSD Card, 8-64 GB, SLC Flash)
  • Greenliant GLS93MP008G1-I-BZ801 (microSD Card, 8 GB, SLC Flash)
Instructions how to setup HW: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index. ... g_Hardware

Bahni
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Bahni »

Das verstehe ich nicht, was ist an diesen SLC-Karten anders? Habe die eine extra Partition für diese Datensicherung?
Gruß Bahni

Meteohub
Raspberry Pi 3
Meteostick
Davis Vantage Vue
ELV WS 300 PC mit KS300
ELV (Velleman) WS 3080
NAS-QNAP TS-209 PRO II

galfert
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by galfert »

Bahni wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:17 pm
Das verstehe ich nicht, was ist an diesen SLC-Karten anders? Habe die eine extra Partition für diese Datensicherung?
The decision to only support the Meteobridge on the Raspberry Pi if you used an approved SD card if you want data storage is because of the following. There are different types of SD cards, and they differ in how they hold their data. These differences are internal architectural differences in how the bits are stored. These are current types of existing SD card architectural technologies:

SLC - Single Level Cell. The bits are stored in grid that is single level of bits and they are not stacked. This is more expensive to manufacture. So to get larger amount of storage requires much smaller manufacturing techniques and/or more flash chips. This is the type required by the Meteobridge software. You can't get any SLC card you want though...it has to be one that has been approved. All SD cards have an internal model identifier that the software can check to know what is being used. If you find an SLC that is not on the approved list you can ask Smartbedded to consider adding it. But do realize that just because a manufacture calls an SD card "Industrial" does not mean it is SLC.

MLC - Multi Level Cell. You would think that this would signify it to be two or more level of bits. But no, it only signifies 2 levels of data bits stacked on top of each other. When this technology came out 3 levels didn't exist but the thought at the time was that 3 or 4 levels would still be considered Multi-Level and that concept has changed as triple and quadruple now have their own separate designation.

TLC - Triple Level Cell. Well 3 levels of bits stacked on top of each other.

QLC - Quadruple Level Cell....4 levels of bits stacked on top of each other.

So why does SLC matter? Because of data storage longevity when an SD card is used as the operating system drive. In this environment a regular SD card will fail within a a few years. There is just too much reading/erasing constantly happening on an operating system drive. This is very different from using an SD card in your digital camera that just stores data only. SD cards with multiple stacked bits were really not designed for OS use. If an SD card is SLC type then it will last tens of thousands of read/erase cycles. Making SD cards with stacked bits allows for cheaper cards with larger storage sizes....but read / write number of cycles decreases the more levels of bits are stacked. Enforcing the use of SLC SD cards is the only way to better guarantee data storage longevity.

I think it is a good decision to enforce the use of SLC SD cards.

But I think it might be nice if the Meteobridge software were to allow SSD hard drives to be used instead of only requiring SLC SD cards. The Raspberry Pi now supports booting with only an SSD and no SD card installed at all. It would be nice to take advantage of that Raspberry Pi capability. I actually think it would be neat to virtualize the entire Meteobridge....Docker container?...or OpenWRT VM? Maybe some day.
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

ipe
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by ipe »

admin wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:06 pm

Please let me comment the complain:

1) There is no way around industrial SLC cards and the ones from WD are affordable even in 16 GB capacity which looks sufficient to me for most use cases. You can order these from Mouser world wide. So I don't see any problem in getting one within a few days. Using consumer cards will give you no joy. I have every week Meteohub RPI customers asking for help on license migration because their SD card failed and took all the data with it.

2) Meteohub is now available for 13 years. Users who got a license a decade ago can and do still use it. I don't think there is reason to be sour when development focus does change over time. Meteobridge is quite different in the inner workings and we simply see more potential in it.

3) Making use of the discount on Meteobridge license does not revoke any Meteohub license. You can still use the Meteohub in parallel as long as you like or even sell the Meteohub incl. license to someone else.
Thanks! I'll try mouser.

Bahni
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Bahni »

Vielen Dank, habe mir bei Mouser mal die "SDSDQED-016G-XI" bestellt.
Wird am Freitag geliefert.
Gruß Bahni

Meteohub
Raspberry Pi 3
Meteostick
Davis Vantage Vue
ELV WS 300 PC mit KS300
ELV (Velleman) WS 3080
NAS-QNAP TS-209 PRO II

Bahni
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Post by Bahni »

Habe mir nun einmal die Flash Anleitung führ den Raspberry Pi angesehen:
Copying the Meteobridge disk image onto a Raspberry Pi microSD card
Meteobridge disk image is avaible for Raspberry Pi models 3B, 3B+ and 4B. Please down load the matching disk image from here:

Raspbery Pi Model 4B: meteobridge-rpi4-v1.3.bin
Raspbery Pi Model 3B and 3B+: meteobridge-rpi3-v1.3.bin
Next step is to use a low level disk copy tool like "etcher" or "Raspberry Pi Imager" to transfer the Meteobridge disk image onto the SD card. When using "Etcher" you need to enable "all files" in the file selection dialog in order to load the Meteobridge disk image which has a ".bin" extension. "Etcher" is reported not to work properly on some Windows installs (When it throws system errors during copy, please use Raspberry Pi Images instead). When using the "Raspberry Pi Imager" you have to select the "Use Custom" option as Operating system and you also have to enable "all files" to load the ".bin" named Meteobridge disk image. Trying to avoid these tools and doing just a regular file copy of the Meteobridge disk image to the microSD card will not work. We need to punch the disk image directly onto the card, not into the file system already established on the card.

Having copied the disk image to the card it just needs to insert the card into the Raspberry Pi, connect it with an Ethernet cable to your LAN and to power it up. Your card is flashed fine when the red LED starts blinking slowly and then changes to fast blinking after a while. When the red LED reaches steady on, your Meteobridge has successfully reached out to the Internet, has loaded the application stack and is ready to go. When you don't see the blink -> fast blink sequence, your low level copying of the Meteobridge image to your microSD card has failed.
Kann sowohl bei "Etcher" als auch bei den "Raspberry Pi Imager" die Einstellung ""alle Dateien" im Dateiauswahldialog aktivieren" nicht finden.
Eigentlich kann man bei diesen Flash Programmen so gut wie nichts Einstellen oder auswählen...
Kann mir jemand weiterhelfen?
Gruß Bahni

Meteohub
Raspberry Pi 3
Meteostick
Davis Vantage Vue
ELV WS 300 PC mit KS300
ELV (Velleman) WS 3080
NAS-QNAP TS-209 PRO II

galfert
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by galfert »

Looks like there is a problem with the MB RPI image link.

- It is an HTTP and not HTTPS link and I think that is causing Chrome to not let you click on it to download it. You can though Right Click and then you'll be able to "Open in a new tab" and that will then allow you to download the image.

- If you manually copy the link and then attempt to modify the resulting link to HTTPS it shows that there is a problem with the servers security credentials. This means that the server needs a new encryption certificate.

This doesn't seem to affect the Edge browser. Looks like Chrome is just enforcing tighter security controls.
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000