Add a "Pause" Option for Weather Stations?

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

AlaskaWX
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Add a "Pause" Option for Weather Stations?

Post by AlaskaWX »

I'm a long time (12 years) Meteohub users and run quite a few user defined plugin weather stations. Some of these weather stations only make sense to run seasonally. For instance a snow depth sensor. No need to run it during the summer, no? I'm migrating to Meteobridge currently and I'd like to see Meteobridge have the option to Pause or Hold a particular weather station just like Meteohub does.

This feature would also be a good way to take a certain weather station off-line for repairs if needed. It is not at all convenient to have to delete and later re-add a seasonal or broken down weather station. A missing or offline weather station currently causes perpetual restarts of the data logger process.

Boris, please consider this enhancement for an upcoming release of Meteobridge. It would be very useful! :D :!:
Davis VP2 with IIS and Leaf/Soil + numerous user defined plugin weather stations

galfert
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Add a "Pause" Option for Weather Stations?

Post by galfert »

How does pulling the power not accomplish the objective? I suppose this is only an issue if you have more than one station configured right?
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

AlaskaWX
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Re: Add a "Pause" Option for Weather Stations?

Post by AlaskaWX »

galfert wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:09 am
How does pulling the power not accomplish the objective?
Yes, I do have muliple weather stations running. A Davis VP2 with IIS and remote Soil temp sensor and multiple user defined plugin weather stations.

The data logger daemon still tries to gather data from the weather station even if its power plug has been pulled. if there is no response in a certain amount of time the weather station is "restarted" by the logger. All this does is fill up the log with superfluous entries and wastes processing time for the logger. Not a very efficient way to run a low power embedded system.

If a station is not powered up, there is no good reason to wait for it to provide data, is there? :P :x :lol:
Davis VP2 with IIS and Leaf/Soil + numerous user defined plugin weather stations