How to update TP-Link MR3040 running Meteobride 3.2, build 11222, FW 1.4. **solved**

All about the standard Meteobridge devices based on mobile routers from TP-Link, D-Link, ASUS

Moderator: Mattk

Ladd
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

How to update TP-Link MR3040 running Meteobride 3.2, build 11222, FW 1.4. **solved**

Post by Ladd »

I have a TP-Link MR3040 running Meteobridge 3.2, build 11222, FW 1.4 and it pulls data from my Davis Vantage Pro2 station. What is the most current version of Meteobridge that will run on the TP-Link MR3040 and how do I get this update? Clicking the PayPal button returns an error.

Secondly, do I WANT to update from v3.2? This version seems to do what I wish, but I've been out of the loop for several years and don't know what's up with newer versions?

galfert
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: How to update TP-Link MR3040 running Meteobride 3.2, build 11222, FW 1.4

Post by galfert »

Wow that is almost 4 years since MB 3.2. I feel that the Meteobridge has evolved tremendously since then. You can see the change log of all the improvements with this link:
https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Forum

Your TP-Link can run the latest MB 5.1 version, but you won't have all the features. You still gain a lot of new features by upgrading, just not the ones dealing with local storage. See below for how to get the newest features.

The payment processing for software renewal changed from PayPal to MyCommerce and that is probably why you can't update the renewal license for an additional 2 years of updates. I would send an email info at smartbedded for assistance in renewing your upgrade license.

One thing you might want to consider is to also move your MB license to a newer hardware than the old TP-Link. The license move is free but you'll still be required to upgrade your license upgrade renewal. I'd probably recommend renewing the license and then moving the license to the new hardware. The new hardware is to use the Raspberry Pi. You'll gain a ton of user interface performance (snappier and faster) and you'll also gain a bunch of extra features like local database storage and graphs and built in Weather34 and more. These are premium extra features that the TP-Link hardware is just not capable of doing because of limited resources. You can see a good comparison of features in this table:
https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Comparison

Setting up Meteobridge on a Raspberry Pi is very easy and it is as simple and copying an image file onto and SD card. No Linux knowledge and no command line work needed. Be aware of the requirement of using an SLC SD card...which unfortunately right now the good ones are on short supply and backordered. But there is a temporary solution for that:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15568
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

Ladd
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Ladd »

Thank you very much for your detailed reply; definitely lots to look into and try to catch up (I am so out of it).

I have an unused QNAP TS-451 NAS that just finished being used for it's previous task. Did I read something somewhere that some version of Meteobridge can be set up to run in an Linux VM?

galfert
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by galfert »

More information on the new MyCommerce payment to upgrade your license:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=14324

There is a link in that thread that should take you to the new payment method to upgrade your license.
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

galfert
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by galfert »

No, there is currently no VM capability for MB. I've asked Boris to consider it but the problem is that VMs are x86 and MB only runs on ARM hardware. I don't know if there are any VMs capable of running OpenWRT ARM version. That is only part of the issue. There are likely more obstacles.
Meteobridge RPI | GW1000

alexdelprete
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Post by alexdelprete »

Ladd wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 pm
Thank you very much for your detailed reply; definitely lots to look into and try to catch up (I am so out of it).

I have an unused QNAP TS-451 NAS that just finished being used for it's previous task. Did I read something somewhere that some version of Meteobridge can be set up to run in an Linux VM?
"QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, 64-bit POWER, S390, 32-bit and 64-bit ARM, and MIPS guests."
https://wiki.qemu.org/Main_Page

QEMU can also "emulate", but obviously it will be slower.

MB runs on TP-Link MR3040 (and MR3020v3) that use a MIPS chip. It now also runs on Raspberry Pi, which is based on ARM.

Don't know if anybody tried to virtualize it, but in principle it can be done. The devil always lies in details.

Ladd
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re: How to update TP-Link MR3040 running Meteobride 3.2, build 11222, FW 1.4. **solved**

Post by Ladd »

Thanks for that update. Unfortunately for me, this is all way over my head. I can follow a "do these 10 things to get [X] up and running, but I haven't found this yet.

admin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: How to update TP-Link MR3040 running Meteobride 3.2, build 11222, FW 1.4. **solved**

Post by admin »

This is the link to purchase an update license to get newest version of meteobridge: https://admin.meteobridge.com/payment.html

To decide if you want to upgrade read about new features and bug fixes here: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Forum

Runnning Meteobridge on other hardware as listed here is not possible: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware

Sorry, this is not really complicated imho.

Ladd
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Post by Ladd »

Thanks for those links.

When referring to "it's all over my head", I not-clearly was referring to striking out into the wilderness and trying to figure out how to run Meteobridge virtualized on the QNAP NAS. :-)